Steam Version Refuses to Start

SkyeWyven

Oct 8, 2020
Location of Bug: Launching via all means (Steam Library, Steam System Tray Menu, Directly using .exe, etc.)

Description: Upon attempting to start the game Steam's 'Play' button will change to 'Stop' for 2-5 seconds during which time the 'Preparing to launch game' window appears for such a short time it was almost impossible to screenshot. Then the 'Stop' button returns to 'Play' and the game never ends up being launched.
Alternatively, trying to launch the game directly using the .exe file results in two error messages claiming missing files and a failure to launch.

Screenshot: Item01 (The window that pops up fora brief flash when trying to launch), Item02 + Item03 (The error windows that appear upon attempting to launch via the .exe file directly)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Attempt to launch the game through Steam or .exe.

Reproduction rate: 100%

Below is a list of things I have already attempted/looked for in order to fix the issue:
- Disabled Antivirus (Avast Free)/Adding as Exception in Antivirus (does not seem to affect it)
- Verified Game Files (Successful despite still having the issue)
- Uninstalled and Re-Installed (No change)
- Tried -logging and -verbose_graphics (nothing happened, no dialog box on attempted launch)
- There does not seem to be any MiniDump (.mdmp) file (this was asked for in a forum post I found to help diagnose a similar issue)
- Looked extensively via Google for solutions. None provided.

I have included the three screenshots mentioned above as separate files along with the DxDiag file and the Engine Error log file (I just found it in the files I don't know how useful it actually is).

Attachments

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
First thing I'd recommend is this: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/VC_redist.x86.exe
This is the version of the Visual Studio C++ redistributable file we use. Steam is supposed to have that installed for you, but sometimes doesn't, and sometimes windows messes with it if you've already got it installed. Get that installed, restart your PC, and then give it another shot. If it still doesn't work, then let me know and we'll work from there.

SkyeWyven

Oct 8, 2020
Had to uninstall all my other VS C++ Redist packs to get it installed. Finally did and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Attempting launch through Steam does the same thing and so does trying to use the .exe directly.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Okay with that out of the way, the other options look to me like you're either missing the correct DirectX version, or your video card drivers need to be updated, something of that sort. Both of those error prompts seem to lead back to that specifically. This link should get the correct DirectX stuff for you: Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

If not, the version you're likely looking for is June 2010, but you're just missing some DLLs which likely means the above runtime stuff should be enough. Again, I do recommend updating your video card drivers just in case.

SkyeWyven

Oct 8, 2020
Thank you for all the help. The DirectX stuff worked without me updating my graphics drivers (I'm going to do that anyway but I wanted to know which one worked if either did which is why I haven't yet).
I'm currently listening to the bangin' tune on the 'Press any key' title screen after successfully launching through Steam.
Thank you so much!