Steam Controller General

Do you own a steam controler?

• Total voters

BaG_2.0

Awful at fite game
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Some of us shelled out cash to buy Valve's customizable controller. We might as well talk about how to use it and such!

What binding tricks do you use?

Personally I can't hit diagonals for beans (I swear the diagonal overlap on this analog stick doesn't exist half the time) So I have left facing launcher bound to the right grip and the right facing launcher bound to the left grip. I'm also working on an action layer so I can switch them to crouch blocking on the fly.

I've also been trying to figure out if I can macro certain things like universal combo starters just to get theng going a bit faster, the down side ebing if you make them too long they will leave you completely defenceless on block even with safe attacks so it's a bit of a process.

Does anybody use the touch d pad thing? I can't get a feel for it in fighters but maybe others have some pointers?

So yeah, lets get a discussion going!

Neb

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Are you a pretty big fan of the Steam controller? Honestly, I'd mostly heard meh reviews about it, but I'd like to know more on its upsides. What kind of games do you find it good with? Just looking at it I question how accurate the giant D pad thing can be for fast inputs like Velvet's eruption that looks like it would take your thumb nearly an inch of movement to go from forward to down to downforward. I know firsthand that using a control stick for fighting games isn't particularly good, but it works in a pinch. I would get way too many accidental inputs when I used one.

I wanted to get one of these back when it had the hilarious gimmick of the D pad being like.. a beanbag filled with beans that hardened to the direction you pressed it? I think that's how I heard it described. I would've shelled out just to know how the hell that worked.

BaG_2.0

Awful at fite game
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Are you a pretty big fan of the Steam controller? Honestly, I'd mostly heard meh reviews about it, but I'd like to know more on its upsides. What kind of games do you find it good with? Just looking at it I question how accurate the giant D pad thing can be for fast inputs like Velvet's eruption that looks like it would take your thumb nearly an inch of movement to go from forward to down to downforward. I know firsthand that using a control stick for fighting games isn't particularly good, but it works in a pinch. I would get way too many accidental inputs when I used one.

I wanted to get one of these back when it had the hilarious gimmick of the D pad being like.. a beanbag filled with beans that hardened to the direction you pressed it? I think that's how I heard it described. I would've shelled out just to know how the hell that worked.
I am actually a fan of it, thought I won't lie, it needs a hardware revision. The grips themselves are kind weird and if you don't hold it "correctly" (you can only figure out what "correctly" is after playing with it yourself) it will cramp your hand up really bad. It's great for pretty much anything short of side scrollers and multiplayer shooters. I beat Doom 2016 and both Borderlands 1 and 2 with mine. It works with any game that the steam overlay can attach to, but it doesn't play very well if the overlay doesn't inject properly.

The d-pad-thing is... well it's one of the things I don't like about it but that's mostly because of the lack of tactile inputs. It loos big but you can configure the "size" of it in the overlay, making the controler thing the edge is much closer the the middle. Personally, I can't get it to work at all in fighting games, so don't get your hopes up but I have seen others who figure it out.

I use the control stick, but thanks to the configuration menu, I can force the game to see it as a dpad and increase the deadzon between the 8 directions to make it a bit more useful in fighters. It's not a perfect solution at all but it's the only controller I own right now and I am NOT using the keyboard for fighting games.

Overall, I can't recommend buying one blind like I did, but unless you know somebody who has one you aren't really going to be able to figure out if it's right for you or not.

Reactions: Nightshade

Super Zat

The Quack Up
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I actually created a config for thems fightin herds. should be up on steam community configs.

Using the clickless d pad feels really good in this game once you get used to it. It combines the the precision of a dpad and the freedom if movement of joystick.

Nintyuk

Professor Bright Spark
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I just finished a config and posted it to the steam community, try it here steam://controllerconfig/574980/1331263825