Star Trek Discussion

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
To Infinity and Beyond!

To boldly go where no (hu)man has gone before...Dun da-da-dun da da duuuuun....

So, any Star Trek fans? I admit I'm not a fan of TOS, too campy for my taste. I'm not much of a fan of the reboot (my constant refrain "It's not Star Trek, it's just an Action Sci-Fi with Star Trek stamped on it!"). Voyager and TNG are my fave series, but I like DS9 and Enterprise as well. I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of all of these series at least once, and in the case of Voyager, TNG, and Enterprise, more than that (I own those on disk. DVD for Voyager, BD for the latter two). Still waiting on DS9 getting a BD release, but it looks like that won't happen. I've got all the movies on BD as well. Aside from The Voyage Home (TOS), I'm not a huge fan of the original series movies. They're good, but I prefer the TNG cast is all.

As to who I think is best Captain....Jean-Luc Picard, naturally.

drawmesunshine

Knitting fever
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Planet Neighmek
My first real introduction to Star Trek was the first of the new movies, and I absolutely loved it. It inspired me too go back and watch the original series and I really love it, too.

I haven't seen anything else Star Trek except for, like, half an episode of TNG, so I don't have any opinions :/

Best captain has to be Captain Kirk because he's the only captain I know

Max APogee

Five gold and a party!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kent, UK
www.facebook.com
I'm a huge Star Trek fan. :D

My exposure to TOS was fairly limited, though a year or so back I finally got round to watching through that series. While not my favourite, it was good to see where everything are from and what influences it had on everything that came after it. Funnily enough, though, my favourite film is Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country.

I first started really watching about the time DS9 started airing. I'd seen bit's and pieces of TNG before that, but didn't really take notice until DS9. It's been my favourite Trek series ever since. I liked that it was different to TNG, being set on a space station, and had IMO a much more interesting cast. I also liked that they involved the secondary and tertiary cast members a lot more than other series, made it feel like much more of an ensemble. Also, Gul Dukat is one of sci-fi's greatest and most interesting villains (second only to Scorpius from Farscape) Sisko is my favourite captain, by the way, and the Defiant my favourite ship ;)

I have since watched through all of TNG, and while it certainly had it's moments, it's story telling was a little too formulaic and episodic, I much preferred the arced story telling on DS9.

I'm not overly fond of Voyager, it had a really interesting premise and had the potential for some very interesting stories, but they went back to the TNG formula again and that was to the show's detriment. I would like to have seen a lot more conflict arising between the Starfleet and Marquis crew members. Also, it really dissolved into the Captain Janeway, The Doctor and Seven of Nine show after a while leaving almost all the other main characters in secondary positions. I also don't like the way they handled the Borg, the Borg were a fantastic threat in TNG because they were only shown a handful of times, and First Contact is one of the best Star Trek films. But then they started showing up on Voyager, entirely too often, and all that thread was removed.

And as for Enterprise, I never even finished watching it. I don't think that was entirely the show's fault, like Voyager it was an interesting idea, but Trek had been on the TV, without break, for 20 years by that point and story fatigue had set in. It felt like many of the storylines were just recycled from other Trek series that had done them better, and I just lost interest after a while.

I'm looking forward to the new series that's been announced, I've enjoyed quite a few of Bryan Fuller's previous series (the third season of Hannibal not withstanding) and he's apparently well up on his Trek lore, so it should be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm also interested to see whether it'll follow the original continuity or the new continuity as seen in the recent Star Trek films.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I'm looking forward to the new series that's been announced, I've enjoyed quite a few of Bryan Fuller's previous series (the third season of Hannibal not withstanding) and he's apparently well up on his Trek lore, so it should be interesting to see what they come up with. I'm also interested to see whether it'll follow the original continuity or the new continuity as seen in the recent Star Trek films.
Considering the success of the reboot in drawing in general audiences, I can't see it NOT being set in the reboot universe, with the reboot's emphasis on action. It would alienate much of the new audience otherwise, I think.