So Oleander is a zoner

Vision Thing

Spellbound
Feb 16, 2018
Afterimage of a Crimson Eye
Correct me if I'm wrong lol

I tried to rush with Oleander and failed miserably. Then I started to look at her projectiles, traps and teleports, and her playstyle was much more clear to me.

Zoners aren't my specialty, so I wanted to ask for some advice. How can you avoid attacks while reading the book, for example? How can you keep the pressure on fast characters like Velvet and Arizona?

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Falco

Ace Pilot
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
If you need to read in neutral, try use an aerial fel spark, double jump then read. At least you cover yourself a little but its not too hard to get around. You can usually get a read off at the end of a combo and manage your magic from there. You can also read in the middle of some combos but those ones generally need at least one magic to work.

CluelessDetective

Jan 24, 2018
I don't think of her as much of a zoner honestly. She can zone but she can also do upclose things decently. She reminds me of a Shoto character, like Ryu or Ken in Street Fighter who have a little bit of everything. Though if she actually is a zoner than whoops, but she just seems like a shoto to me.

Snivian Moon

How I mine for combo?
Backers' Beta Tester
If you need to read in neutral, try use an aerial fel spark, double jump then read. At least you cover yourself a little but its not too hard to get around. You can usually get a read off at the end of a combo and manage your magic from there. You can also read in the middle of some combos but those ones generally need at least one magic to work.
Sorry for the stupidly noobish question, but I keep seeing this terminology when it comes to Oleander combos (particularly "double jump cancel"). By "double jump" in this sequence, do you mean:

:8:, :2::3::6::atk:,:8:,:D:?

or is it

:8:, :2::3::6::atk:, (Land), :8::8:,:D:?

When I see "double jump" I always think of pushing up twice in succession, but I'm gathering you mean "execute the second half of a double jump" rather than, "Land, then double jump"?

Again, sorry for such a basic question.

Falco

Ace Pilot
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
Sorry for the stupidly noobish question, but I keep seeing this terminology when it comes to Oleander combos (particularly "double jump cancel"). By "double jump" in this sequence, do you mean:

:8:, :2::3::6::atk:,:8:,:D:?

or is it

:8:, :2::3::6::atk:, (Land), :8::8:,:D:?

When I see "double jump" I always think of pushing up twice in succession, but I'm gathering you mean "execute the second half of a double jump" rather than, "Land, then double jump"?

Again, sorry for such a basic question.
All good, always ask questions when you are unsure. The first one is correct i.e. when in the air press jump again. The double jump is unique to Oleander and its essential to her hard hitting combos. Every character has a different movement mechanic unique to them as well.

An aerial fel spark can be cancelled into a double jump anytime whereas all the other aerial attacks like j.A, j.B etc needs to hit something (on block is fine) before you can cancel into double jump.

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
One thing, the best Oleanders I've played are able to space opponents out with j.C and 2.C. Especially with j.C, Oleanders can completely stop opponents from jumping in, or at least kill opponents who won't stop.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
While she can be used as a zoner, she also is a bit of a "setup" character. You can do some pretty funky things to the enemy with a Spark, like teleporting behind them at the last second to change the direction they have to block. And Fred has high potential for nasty setups of this kind.

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
Ole is a classic all-around character. Sparks and pages make for good zoning tools, but they have limitations that aren't found in a true zoner like Velvet. At the same time, she has some limited pressure tools. Of course, once Fred is out and throwing out his 1Ds, you'll be playing heavy rushdown.

Star Catcher

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I think the comments here mostly have it. From my experience, Oleander is kind of a healthy balance between Velvet's zone control and Pom's option removal playstyles, but, while her ground speed and range are pretty crap, her teleport nullifies these weaknesses by moving her across the screen in a flash. In short, she's a close-range fighter disguised as a zoner, whether she stays back or chooses to go in, her ability to remove your options with her setups means that, given the chance, she'll force you to fight under her conditions, when she chooses.

Reactions: CluelessDetective