So Cal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Hey hey everyone. So I'm pre-emptively making this thread here cause of plans in the future.

My plan's to hopefully get a local scene for TFH started once the game comes out, both for the sake of competitive and casual play. If we got people here early, we could totally get some ideas down for a venue and at least have local friendos that we know for the sake of the video games.

Anyhow, hi! I'm Some Person. I play Skullgirls and am part of the group that plays locally for Salty! Hope there are others out there that are local and hyped for this game!

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I live in Bakersfield, which is kinda the most north-end of SoCal. XD

Where would these even be centered?

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Ideally somewhere that most people can get to, but So Cal's a big place so things might be a bit scattered at first. Hopefully things can work out tho. It all depends on what kind of venue we can secure.

silverreverb

→→+z
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I'm in san diego, about as far south as so-cal can get before turning into baja

silverreverb

→→+z
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I probably haven't heard of them. what events do you mean? let me know when and where and I'll try to show up

MLP Triox

Try that on my Arizona!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
San Diego, CA
www.youtube.com
There's a venue(well office building) that gets rented out by LanDiego on black mountain road. Mondays is Marvel and Street Fighter usually. I think Tuesday and Wednesday is melee and smash 4. Friday is anime games (or whatever wierd game that gets brought).

Every other Saturday is a tournament as well.

And on Fridays there is another event down in Paradise Hills for mostly street fighter, but there is also a little marvel and occasionally alpha, ST, or yatta

silverreverb

→→+z
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
ah sounds cool. I'll see when I can go, though it might be something I need to be reminded about. going on release day sounds really cool, something I definitely wanna try

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Hello! Where abouts in the So Cal area do youuuuuu reside? (If you don't mind sharing, that is)

Also, since I don't seem to have shared the info myself, I reside in Palmdale

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Seeing people show up already is pretty nice! Not sure how easy it would be to settle on a central location for everyone, but hopefully it can be at a spot that's workable for most.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Hello! Local So Cal resident here :)

I don't travel much, but this actually sounds interesting. I live in West LA, and travelling to places like Santa Monica or Venice Beach really doesn't take that long for me.

blue

a pick of the paka pack
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Sonoma at the moment but this fall i'll be at cal poly or humboldt

Patthecat

Oleander player~
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Southern California
Haha well you know I live in SoCal @Some Person, I've been hyped for this game (continuing over from FiM) for awhile, so any chance for local meet-up is fantastic news.

I live in L.A. (Glendale area to be exact) and I'd be willing to travel as far as SD. I have family and friends their so I have no problem with that.

Hey, if enough people live around then maybe we can actually get a local tournament scene set-up! (It's a hopeful though but... it's possible!)

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
If a lot of people are centric to one location, we could possibly attempt weeklys. I'll probably bring it up closer to the game's launch, but the bare minimum I'd wanna look at are monthly meetups for the game (especially if most people are spread out and all).

COMPUTEROSIS

FPLOON: The Revolution
Backers' Beta Tester
Yo! SoCal native currently representing the San Carlos area of San Diego!!

I'm, like, a walk away from the trolley station heading downtown... So, I could go [almost] anywhere in SD alone!

SomeKindOfTiger

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 2, 2017
SoCal right here. Pasadena/Arcadia area. Would love to get together and play when the game comes out.

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'd be down for something like this, provided that work and school don't get too much in the way. I live in Santee, CA.

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Bringing this thread back from the depths to say that things are just about 80% set for these locals to start happening. Just wanted to wait until the actual release happened before getting things started.

I'll drop more details when the time comes, but for now I'll just state that the venue I'm looking to host these at is in Burbank. I realize that is a distance from SD (as a surprising number of people posting here seem to be from there), but I'm looking to make them be bi-weekly meetups/tournaments for the sake of starting up a scene for us.

By all means, if people want to set up their own things, then this thread would be the best place to set it up. I hope to get a dedicated offline playerbase up and running so we can maybe inspire more people to start up scenes where they live, too!

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Bringing this thread back from the depths to say that things are just about 80% set for these locals to start happening. Just wanted to wait until the actual release happened before getting things started.

I'll drop more details when the time comes, but for now I'll just state that the venue I'm looking to host these at is in Burbank. I realize that is a distance from SD (as a surprising number of people posting here seem to be from there), but I'm looking to make them be bi-weekly meetups/tournaments for the sake of starting up a scene for us.

By all means, if people want to set up their own things, then this thread would be the best place to set it up. I hope to get a dedicated offline playerbase up and running so we can maybe inspire more people to start up scenes where they live, too!
If it's bi-weekly and not too far off from where I am, I'm down. Granted that I don't work on the days that it's gonna be set up.

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Small update here that the venue I'm looking to run locals at is okay with us bringing the game there. We would just need people to bring laptops/rigs that can run the game at a consistent 60fps with no issues.

I will set up more details when the game gets a release date.

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Alright, now that the release date is announced, I'm gonna start dishing out some details! Gonna be pretty in-depth, so here comes all the words. I will likely make a separate thread for the event itself, later.

TFH Bi-weekly locals in SoCal! (basic details here, thorough details below)
Who: Anyone that's looking for offline games.
What: Offline casual and tournament play for TFH
Where: Game Realms, 137 N Victory Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502
When: Starting March 2nd, from 9pm until 2am, and every other week after that
Why: To get people in this community to meet up and integrated with the larger FGC

Ever since this game has become a reality, I've been wanting to support it however I could. Now that the time is almost upon us, I feel that getting the game out there is the best way to keep things moving. By having these events, we can all start to get to know each other much better, and maybe get others to start making their own scenes as well. This isn't just meant to be a super serious competition, by the way. Anyone who enjoys the game and wants to play with others is more than welcome to attend.

For these events, the plan is to start off with setups in order to begin casual play and a tournament (entrants permitting). Tournaments will be traditional double elimination style, and will keep going until only one person remains. The first tournament for this will be free entry, after that, the tournament will have a $5 entry fee for a collective prize pot. There is still a venue fee of $5 which goes directly to the store, otherwise the place wouldn't be able to host us, and that would make everyone sad.

Game Realms is a video-game store in Burbank that sells games and accessories old and new, from the NES to the PS4, it has a wide range of products to choose from. When they aren't selling video games, they're hosting locals for other games. The Fridays we'll be playing on also host the weekly event "Salty" which runs Skullgirls, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R, and Vampire Savior, so if you're interested in any of those games, feel free to enter that as well! Those games all normally are free to enter, so no need to worry about paying more money for more games. Should we become too large for the venue, we'll likely need to figure a new day of the week to host these, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Around the venue is a burger shop called Better Fresh Burger, a 24 hour Subway, and a 7-11, all within walking distance!

While the venue is willing to host us, we'll need to bring in some supplies of our own in order to make this work.
- laptops/computer rigs that can handle TFH at a consistent 60fps.
- monitors for the computers (unless the laptops have good enough screens to use.
- chairs (this is pretty high priority, tbh)
- Power Supply Splitters (or at least power strips, just as long as we can get power to all of the setups)

If anyone's able to bring these to the venue, let me know so I can cross it off the list and we don't have twenty people bringing chairs.

Also worth mentioning that people should please exercise common sense while at the venue. Joking around with others is fine, but being obnoxious, arrogant, or a jerk (or all three) will not get you points with anyone and will result in you being kicked out of the venue. Oh, and make sure you don't smell bad, or no one there's going to like you too much.

I think that's about all the information necessary for now. If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to do so. No idea about streaming anything, at the moment, so that's up in the air for now.

If you're interested in showing up, please let me know!

Hope to see you there!

Reactions: BypenThynDragon

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I was wondering when you guys were gonna get this set up at Salty!

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
crys inside at the time frame, sadly its an hour and a half drive and I have martial arts on my Saturday mornings, gl establishing the scene though

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
crys inside at the time frame, sadly its an hour and a half drive and I have martial arts on my Saturday mornings, gl establishing the scene though
For what it's worth, the tournament should (in theory) be done well before 2am. It's just that's how long we can stay at the store for casuals and such. Still, I've dealt with the 1 1/2 hour struggle before, so I feel your pain.

Thanks for wishing me luck! Really hoping I can get somewhere with this.

Nightshade

We call them Pombos
Jan 14, 2018
NorCal
Darn that's about a 6 hour drive from where I'm at or else I'd be totally there. Wouldn't mind helping to start a scene up here in NorCal however, if we can find the people.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
That's a 2+ hour drive for me so sadly I cannot attend. Hopefully someone in my area will make something happen as I don't have the connections, resources, or knowhow to get something like this started myself. :olliesad:

But all the same, I wish you luck with your meetup!

IcyWind

kevin robinson from school
Feb 23, 2018
OC resident here, have you considered talking to the guys who run Wednesday Night Fights in Santa Ana? I don't know what their situation with open floorspace is, but I think after they dropped Pokken they didn't end up filling the space.
I'll definitely make an attempt to show up to the meetup, hopefully the drive isn't too bad.

Reactions: Nightshade

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
OC resident here, have you considered talking to the guys who run Wednesday Night Fights in Santa Ana? I don't know what their situation with open floorspace is, but I think after they dropped Pokken they didn't end up filling the space.
I'll definitely make an attempt to show up to the meetup, hopefully the drive isn't too bad.
I was actually involved with Pokken during that time. I thought Tekken filled in that spot, but I haven't shown up in a while, so maybe things changed. While I'm not the biggest fan of the Esports Arena, I feel it would be a better chance of anything happening if we can establish ourselves as a sizeable scene first. They do love those numbers, as they bring in more dollars.

Also, copy-pasting:
Due to timing and schedule conflicts, we will move the first tournament to March 9th. The venue is closing early on the 2nd, so this way we get more time in the venue, and more time for casuals after the tournament is over.

I've also got someone willing to stream the tournaments, so that's all the better!

Also going to suggest again that if people going can bring chairs, that will help immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.