Skullgirls

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
I know. that is why I said ideally. I guess I should have made it more obvious and put it in past-tense. Sometimes I forget how the internet interprets everything you say incorrectly.
Heh, I know why you said ideally. I'm just memeing. Because Skullgirls is dead and doesn't have a vibrant community life or anything like that. Nope.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Because Skullgirls is dead and doesn't have a vibrant community life or anything like that. Nope.
At my local tournament last Saturday, Tekken 7 got cancelled due to lack of players. Skullgirls was 2nd for attendance, only beaten by DBFZ. I'm also a member of 3 different Skullgirls discords that make for most of my internet action xp
This game won't die, imo.

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
At my local tournament last Saturday, Tekken 7 got cancelled due to lack of players. Skullgirls was 2nd for attendance, only beaten by DBFZ. I'm also a member of 3 different Skullgirls discords that make for most of my internet action xp
This game won't die, imo.
NO VIBRANT COMMUNITY LIFE. NU-UH.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Not sure if I ever posted here but I mostly play Big Band. I play many characters despite not being great at the game but the one I like the most is Squigly.
I completely understand I play lots of characters in any fighting game I'm not that good at. for example I play 6 characters in Melee.

indie_animator

Mar 10, 2018
Bay Area, CA
tangerinepop.com
I still play SG on weekends after almost four years now (on PSN).
Been an art moderator (that does almost nothing, ha) on Skullheart forums.
And am active in the Skullart Discord (moderator). And in the PSN Skullbats Discord.

Used to enter the weekly Skullbats tournaments, but I don't have access to the PS4 at certain times, like when it's help now.
I main Fukua, Robo, & Band. Sub Beo & a bit of Bella.

SG & TFH are amazing in art, music, etc & that they're 2D indie fighters made outside Japan.
I've supported SG for years & hope to do so somehow w/TFH.

Reactions: Tox

WindBreaker

Looking to get back into fighting games.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 9, 2018
Earth
I'm trying to get back into different fighting games, including Skullgirls. I was never very good at most fighting games, but my problem with skullgirls right now is that the final boss of story mode feels more like a stage hazard than a character. It's frustrating, and I just can't seem to have fun fighting her.

Does anyone have any good strategies for her? I'm coming in after running through a character's moves in the practice mode to get basic familiarity with them, and I'm trying to go through story mode on the easier difficulties until I find my feet in the game.

Svierrod

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Marie's different forms are weak to different things. Her first form is weak to projectile spam; the floating skulls move slow and get chewed out by other projectiles. Painwheel can spam Stinger (M) > Fly > Unfly (you can also bail out of charging the stinger early if you have to). Peacock can just go nuts with whatever, Parasoul, Robo Fortune, and Fukua can also be really passive aggressive. Valentine can actually poison her and wait her out, and play lame or chuck scalpels when you get the meter. Most other characters just have to power through it.

Her second form basically can't deal with the magical strategy of "Hit with your launcher, jump cancel forward, hit a button on the way down." Then do another launcher as soon as you land. Repeat as needed. Jump cancels are Super Jumps, so you'll turn around after you cross over. You don't have to worry about having a cross-up button. You can switch sides over and over, and you'll usually be really high in the air or trick her into attacking the wrong way. It's cheap, but Marie doesn't play fair either, so screw it. Don't feel bad; she deserves it.

The last phase is too dense to strategize much. You just kinda have to smack her as much as you can real fast to get the fight over with. Save as much meter as you can for this part, and blast her with your Level 3 if you can. Just use whatever you've got.

Lastly, there's Marie's kryptonite: Diamond Deflector. Precisely 100% of Marie's attacks can activate Cerebella's projectile counter, Bella is invincible to all of her attacks until she's able to move again, so you can counter again or just block against the bone dragons, and the counter projectile uniquely hits Marie every single frame it touches her. A single deflector will do about 10x more damage to her than it would to any other character, and you'll gain about half a bar of super meter for each deflection. Marie cannot block the counter fireball, cannot move out of the way to avoid it, and can't attack you with a move you can't counter.

Bella vs. Marie is actually an honest-to-God 10-0 matchup. Meaning it's literally just impossible for Bella to lose if she plays the matchup correctly, which she can do every single time. It's more of a tragic comedy than a final boss fight when you know that.