Skullgirls

SunnySideUp64

Wants to hug all the floofy things
Crowdfund Backer
Jan 21, 2017
Please, if you want anyone to take you seriously in multiplayer, don't use Peacock with Double XD
#canttouchdis
Lol, I'm not super concerned with being taken seriously. I just want a good team so I don't get totally spanked whenever I decide to hop online. XD

Reactions: Tox

Moon Drops

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hmm... Well Painwheel is very dangerous at close range, especially if she can stay in there. Squiggly is a tad more versitile with some of her massive normals and her AMAZING c.lp, but requires an assist to keep pressure strings going if she wants to keep her charges up while ALSO having a hard time getting in due to her slow movement. Arpeggio seems decent... but it doesn't really cover Painwheel's main weakness. Maybe Tremolo or Drag n' Bite? The Silver Cord is a bit slow and doesn't provide much stun on block, so I doubt that's a good option...
TL;DR I think it's a hard come to get working with those two alone, but perhaps someone here knows better?

Moon Drops

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Painwheel's main issue is her poor air-priority and the lengthy start up coupled with limited range of her safe normal's. As a result, neutral's rough for her. Seems that people use Cremation (C.hp) or Ashes to Ashes (F.hp). Both are long multi-hitting attacks so they keep an opponent busy so PW can re-position or try for risky mix-up. I think Cremation will give you a much needed chunk of space control that you can confirm into damage, while Ashes to Ashes will take away range in exchange for a slow overhead for some potential mix-up with easy combo-ability...
If I had to pick between the two I'd go with Cremation. It covers a big chunk of space, so you can make jump or flight mix-ups safe...er
Ashes to Ashes, once it's seen, is too easy to block, especially when you consider how Skullgirls handles "Unblockable mix-up".

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ashes to Ashes, once it's seen, is too easy to block, especially when you consider how Skullgirls handles "Unblockable mix-up".
I'd argue that with Painwheel on point, that Ashes is a better assist if you know your mixups, especially because of Painwheel's grab being an easy confirm into more resets. It's true once Ashes is shown it loses some effectiveness, but all you need to do after the initial overhead reveal is stagger your lows or grab. The knowledge of Ashes assist makes people scared and you can layer your mixups because they're looking for overheads. Cremation I don't think covers enough of the screen to justify using it overt Ashes.

Moon Drops

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
As far as staggering lows go, all one would need to do is guard low until squiggly popped on screen, then guard high when the hit would connect as the player has plenty of time to prep for it. Though I do agree that said delay can definitely be used to fill the gap with more poke/grab mix-up than cremation, giving more opportunity to potentially open up a guard. Maybe even baiting a reversal or backdash/jump. I guess it's a choice of more mix-up potential vs a somewhat chunky hit with solid stun on hit or block... I think I'd still go with cremation, as I feel it has slightly more utility when Painwheel is in the air due to it's better speed, and slightly better range.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
As far as staggering lows go, all one would need to do is guard low until squiggly popped on screen, then guard high when the hit would connect as the player has plenty of time to prep for it. Though I do agree that said delay can definitely be used to fill the gap with more poke/grab mix-up than cremation, giving more opportunity to potentially open up a guard. Maybe even baiting a reversal or backdash/jump. I guess it's a choice of more mix-up potential vs a somewhat chunky hit with solid stun on hit or block... I think I'd still go with cremation, as I feel it has slightly more utility when Painwheel is in the air due to it's better speed, and slightly better range.
That's the beauty of the game, though, isn't it? We have as many assists as we want. Maybe Cremation is better than Ashes on a two-man team versus a three-man team where screen coverage can be done with another assist. There's a decent chance it could be. But that's fine.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Who do you guys main?
My go-to is Ms Fortune (fibre upper or el gato), Painwheel (pinon dash) and Squigly (cremation). I often play with Valentine (mortuary drop) as well.
Secondaries are: Cerebella (lock n load), Big Band (either) and I just recently got the hang of using Filia (Updo).

clawmaster

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Nov 30, 2016
Yo Skullgirls? This game is pretty cool.

Pick cremation for Painwheel because she can call assists while flying.
This gives her a flying low and the reach is very worth it over 6HP.
I hear that Mike Z guy is pretty cool dude.

clawmaster

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Nov 30, 2016
Who do you guys main?
My go-to is Ms Fortune (fibre upper or el gato), Painwheel (pinon dash) and Squigly (cremation). I often play with Valentine (mortuary drop) as well.
Secondaries are: Cerebella (lock n load), Big Band (either) and I just recently got the hang of using Filia (Updo).
For me its Squiggly/Big Band. A-train most of the time with Big Band but occasionally will use Brass or Beat Extend. With squiggs I use cremation, and sometimes drag n bite.

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I'd second Liam... 2hp is too good not to take.

That's the team I ran until I realized I don't like teams (PW/Squig[2hp]).

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Who do you guys main?
I'm comfortable with Eliza, who I may partner with Robo-Fortune once in a while. Not sure why I like them. ^-^; Still working on memorizing them. (I wonder if Tianhuo will play similar to Eliza...)

bibliodragon

Mashing the buttons!
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 7, 2016
Since this is on Steam Sale, I got this so I can be bad at a whole new fighting game.

I am not very good. But the art is very pretty.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
It was £5.38 for the game and DLC characters, so in dollars add a few on to that.
It's 7.48$ if you live in the US. btw that's WITH the 2nd Encore DLC. the game alone right now is 2.99$ really great sale.

(on Steam)
Cool. I have enough to get the base game, I believe, but not the bundle. I'll see about getting it tonight.

bibliodragon

Mashing the buttons!
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 7, 2016
It's interesting going from TFH to this, seeing some similarities but also OMG more buttons to deal with! I've been making my way through the storymodes and trying to figure out who I like best. So far Ms Fortune seems to fit my fighting style (ie button mashing). I love Peacock's theme, but find zoners a lot of work. So much dropping things on spaces other than the opponent!

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
That move has a hitbox on it tho ;o;
But yea Squigly is super easy to clean up with when you know how to use her.
But, how can anyone stay mad at this!?
squigly_maid_by_tempussubsisto-d7iql4d.png

Frost Aura

That guy that answers questions
Sep 20, 2017
Canada
I g

I get more mad at that stupid grave attack. if someone uses it just right, it's unavoidable...
You mean Daisy Pusher->cLP->Daisy Pusher (until one meter left) -> throw forward -> Squigly Battle Opera-> jHK->Fallen Woman
That's what I do. It seems to work more often than it should.

Vision Thing

Spellbound
Feb 16, 2018
Afterimage of a Crimson Eye
Lovely game. I mostly play Squigly/Valentine, but I enjoyed playing Cerebella, Robo-Fortune and Fukua too.

I know it will probably never happen, but I'm still hoping for a complete story mode and more characters. Most of the DLC characters had very interesting concepts, it's a shame if they never make it to the game.

Vision Thing

Spellbound
Feb 16, 2018
Afterimage of a Crimson Eye
Great character picks :) They are all really to play as imo!
What do you mean about story mode tho? Is this Skullgirls Second Encore?
No, I mean, according to Alex Ahad the complete story mode would require Black Dahlia, Bloody Marie and I don't remember who else to be playable. But in the DLC polls other characters won, so we still don't know how the complete story would be.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
No, I mean, according to Alex Ahad the complete story mode would require Black Dahlia, Bloody Marie and I don't remember who else to be playable. But in the DLC polls other characters won, so we still don't know how the complete story would be.
Ideally we would eventually get all of the characters.