Should TFH have a color editor?

MagicRoadkill

Dec 25, 2020
I remember asking the people at Lab Zero when they were streaming once if they'd consider putting a color editor in Skullgirls. They didn't want to and cited the very common, very poor taste in palettes found in every fighting game community. Like too many "edgy vampire" palettes that amount to nothing more than red-white-and-black, or nude palettes. It would just end up making the game a huge eyesore.

I would agree to this, except when you look at the modding community, you can see they're able to alter sprites and 3d models any way they want and still go online without making those changes visible to other players. So adding a toggle to online color edits isn't too big of a stretch. If I'm tired of seeing other people's horrible palettes, I could simply switch them off so the only custom palettes I see are my own.

A color editor could also appease anyone who's been wanting to contribute their own palettes to TFH as the backers have before its release.

And at the same time, I don't think this necessarily takes away the incentive of entering tournaments and being rewarded with a custom palette for your performance, as the Mane 6 devs suggested. If you manage to accomplish this, it simply means your palette will be made publicly available by default, further immortalizing you as a TFH winner. Not unlike Capcom Cup where players get to make their own alternate costumes for the characters they used to win at Street Fighter V, despite the ability to hack the game and mod their own costumes in at any time.

What are your thoughts?

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
A color editor could also appease anyone who's been wanting to contribute their own palettes to TFH as the backers have before its release.
This is where the main problem exists, and where our reasoning for not having a colour editor comes from. The people who backed the game paid for the ability to get their own in-game palette that all people could use and see. Taking that away and making it something that everyone has access to (even if it were client-side only) is not something we're going to do. It was an exclusive thing, much like the rest of a crowdfund backer's rewards are supposed to be.

The only time a palette has been used as anything but a backer reward was for the winner of Grand Stampede, and that is extreme circumstances.