Shipping Thread!

The Yaski

Acting representative of the Empire of Tianhuo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You seem to be neglecting the fact that, much as people may be opposed to the thought, the concept of incest is entirely developed by humans through the development of ethics. After all, while it may not seem like it to us humans due to our sheer population size, the avoidance of in-breeding is actually detrimental to the procreation of a species as a whole. As far as Fœnum is concerned, it's entirely possible that certain species don't worry with the same trifles we have in our human ethical code, and are more worried and focused on their races' survival.

In addition, while it is getting a bit close to the line by bringing up the subject, I feel it is worth mentioning that in most Christian religions, the beginning of man from Adam & Eve was rife with inbreeding for multiple generations. It's not something focused on too closely now that our morals and ethics frown more heavily on inbreeding, but it's worth bringing up, as it's possible that the beginning of the Longma race from "Honored Mother and Father" are thought of in a very similar light.
Ehhh, in moderation incest technically is only a matter of ethics, yes. But over the course of several generations incest becomes much more threatening due to genetics. In a large population, one member of the group developing a minor genetic mutation or defect will have a negligible effect (unless is it a particularly desirable mutation that makes the subject a more attractive mate and thus gets spread). A minor genetic mutation like this will get passed, sometimes, to said subject's children, and from them to their children, and so on and so forth. Each time you roll the genetic dice you have a chance of the mutation proceeding on, or disappearing. But the mutation is much more likely to continue on if both of the parents have the mutation. And what better place to get the same mutation than siblings of the same mutated parent? Now, mutation sounds like a very bad word, but really these changes are usually minor so if one or two generations do this its fine. But in the long term, mutation upon mutation can stack up and without a wide breeding pool, have little to no chance of ever being culled from the genetic pool. In this way, minor defects can build into major genetic threats given enough generations.

TL;DR In a large breeding pool, people who are more attractive get more mates, people who are less attractive physically, mentally, or economically get less, thus leading to evolution. In a small breeding pool, which leads to incest, you can't choose one over the other due to limited options. So you risk the chance of undesirable or harmful mutations developing.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
You seem to be neglecting the fact that, much as people may be opposed to the thought, the concept of incest is entirely developed by humans through the development of ethics. After all, while it may not seem like it to us humans due to our sheer population size, the avoidance of in-breeding is actually detrimental to the procreation of a species as a whole. As far as Fœnum is concerned, it's entirely possible that certain species don't worry with the same trifles we have in our human ethical code, and are more worried and focused on their races' survival.

In addition, while it is getting a bit close to the line by bringing up the subject, I feel it is worth mentioning that in most Christian religions, the beginning of man from Adam & Eve was rife with inbreeding for multiple generations. It's not something focused on too closely now that our morals and ethics frown more heavily on inbreeding, but it's worth bringing up, as it's possible that the beginning of the Longma race from "Honored Mother and Father" are thought of in a very similar light.
I said "Without it being creepy" more as a joke than as legitimate reasoning. My understanding was that incest caused genetic disorders that could seriously hinder the ability for a species to thrive. Things like poor immune systems, higher infant mortality, impotence, etc. It's why so many male (and sometimes female) animals leave the safety of dens in order to spread their seed rather than just sticking to one place and trying to charm their grandmas.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Yaski. But I guess I was derailing a little anyway. Maybe we can strike up this conversation in a new thread if people want to keep discussing it.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas

Ehhh, in moderation incest technically is only a matter of ethics, yes. But over the course of several generations incest becomes much more threatening due to genetics. In a large population, one member of the group developing a minor genetic mutation or defect will have a negligible effect (unless is it a particularly desirable mutation that makes the subject a more attractive mate and thus gets spread). A minor genetic mutation like this will get passed, sometimes, to said subject's children, and from them to their children, and so on and so forth. Each time you roll the genetic dice you have a chance of the mutation proceeding on, or disappearing. But the mutation is much more likely to continue on if both of the parents have the mutation. And what better place to get the same mutation than siblings of the same mutated parent? Now, mutation sounds like a very bad word, but really these changes are usually minor so if one or two generations do this its fine. But in the long term, mutation upon mutation can stack up and without a wide breeding pool, have little to no chance of ever being culled from the genetic pool. In this way, minor defects can build into major genetic threats given enough generations.

TL;DR In a large breeding pool, people who are more attractive get more mates, people who are less attractive physically, mentally, or economically get less, thus leading to evolution. In a small breeding pool, which leads to incest, you can't choose one over the other due to limited options. So you risk the chance of undesirable or harmful mutations developing.
I said "Without it being creepy" more as a joke than as legitimate reasoning. My understanding was that incest caused genetic disorders that could seriously hinder the ability for a species to thrive. Things like poor immune systems, higher infant mortality, impotence, etc. It's why so many male (and sometimes female) animals leave the safety of dens in order to spread their seed rather than just sticking to one place and trying to charm their grandmas.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Yaski. But I guess I was derailing a little anyway. Maybe we can strike up this conversation in a new thread if people want to keep discussing it.
Alright, now let's get back to shipping!
So I've got a T-shirt coming soon...
Huh... what?... not THAT kind of shipping.... oh, ok.
Nevermind!

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council

If I recall, Tasmanian devils have large amounts of genetic deformities from inbreeding such as infectious cancer (spreads from bites through other Tasmanian devils), right? But yeah, enough about the survival of the Longma as a species, we'e supposed to be talking about that good old practice of jamming two or more people who have absolutely nothing in common in a romantic relationship baby HOO!

Reactions: 0Zero100

The Yaski

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Maybe we can strike up this conversation in a new thread if people want to keep discussing it.
Seriously, this is so far off the topic of both shipping and TFH, the Hubble telescope wouldn't be able to pick it up. This really deserves to go in the Off Topic section.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
This thread is starting to get weird. Please continue.

How in the world is that even possible? Isn't cancer itself is just an uncontrolled growth of cells? Friggen' magic everywhere.
It has something to do with their immune system not picking up the fact that the cells are foreign when they enter their body...
Seriously, this is so far off the topic of both shipping and TFH, the Hubble telescope wouldn't be able to pick it up. This really deserves to go in the Off Topic section.
Err....Ummm.... POM AND THE DEVOURER!

Reactions: 0Zero100

Solario

Ooh! Ooh! Shipping!!

Okay, I primarily ship TianPom, ArizElvet, and PaprEander. I can also see PomVet, TianZona, FredLeander, BlitzVet, and PaprikEverybody. Probably others; if I think of anything else, I'll be back.

Zocarik

I am a writer who can also do math
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Using the naming system CharacterAxCharacterB is boring, and some of the portmanteau couple names are award. So I am going to try to come up with snappy, fun names instead.

I tried to base all of these on some aspect of their abilities, anatomy, or lore.
I will explain the logic behind a specific entry if someone asks. Right now, I am just trying to get them down. Please offer more obvious ones if you have any.
***** The Goat shipping names are very likely to change once info on Goat is released.
***** Edits with explanations incoming
Edit: Making one thing perfectly clear: the names I came up with are not even remotely official. I am really just trying to poke the community into coming up with better shipping names than CharacterAxCharacterB and the awkward portmanteau names that I have been seeing in this thread. ie, Oleanrika or Paprikander are quite awkward for a ship name. They get the message across, but are weird.

ArizonaXVelvet --- Horncrossed their species both cross and lock horns in a fight
ArizonaXTianhuo --- Flarecharged both charge into a fight, and Tianhuo makes it more dangerous with fire
ArizonaXPom --- Woolherders both have the strength to lead and direct the sheeple
ArizonaXPaprika --- Earthquake one causes tremmors and the other is a force of nature
ArizonaXOleander --- Tricorn three horns between them. If Oleander gets tired, Arizona could cary her and their sillouet would be tricorn
ArizonaXGoat --- Headsmash both species use their heads to smash

VelvetXTianhuo --- Frostburn they frost things and they burn things
VelvetXPom --- Coldpaw Where Pom goes, her puppies follow, and their paws would get cold when Velvet ices things
VelvetXPaprika --- Wintercoat Paprika would make sweaters for them both from her fluff
VelvetXOleander --- Blackice dark magic plus ice magic = black ice magic
VelvetXGoat --- Coldhorn Velvet is frosty and goat has horns

TianhuoXPom --- Firesocks There have been some discussions of pom having socks/sock-like patterns.
TianhuoXPaprika --- Hugburn Knowing Paprika, she might get burned by Tian's flames at some point
TianhuoXOleander --- Fantasy Both are from myth, legend, and fantasy
TianhuoXGoat --- Chupacabra Intense kissing can look like face eating, and one magical creature eats goats.

PomXPaprika --- Fluffy both have fluffy, soft coats.
PomXOleander --- Blacksheep both are blacksheep in that they defey how their species normally behave
PomXGoat --- Shepherd Shepherds use a crook to herd both species

PaprikaXOleander --- Unihug Unicorn mixed with paprika hug = unihug
PaprikaXGoat --- Cliffrunner Paprika bounces up cliffs and goat walks up walls

OleanderXGoat --- Beards Oleander is based on the older version of unicorns, a type that has beards like a goat
OleanderXFred --- Shub-Niggurath Fred is an Eldritch Abomination, and Oleander is sorta like a cultist. and Shubby is the closest to a loving EA in the mythos

Last edited:

The Yaski

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Woolherders, Frostburn, Wintercoat, Blackice, Hugburn, and Blacksheep all get my seal of approval. Some of the other ones, like Fluffy and Beards I think are on the right vein, but could be more creative. Like..... I unno... Tuff Fluff. Something with a little spin on it.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Well I'll keep on being a BlackIce shipper but that Pom and the Devourer idea is kinda neat... what should we call it? HungryPuppy?

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
...but that Pom and the Devourer idea is kinda neat... what should we call it? HungryPuppy?
Personally, I was thinking of Kirby. Let me explain...
I was thinking of something that looked ABSOLUTELY TOTES ADORBES, but in reality is a litgle ball of MASS DESTRUCTION!!!!
Think about it.
Kirby has swallowed stars, STARS! But he's just a little puff ball, BUT HE HAS A BLACK HOLE FOR A STOMACH!!!
But he's pink, and is blushing, THAT'S HOW HE GETS YOU, LULLS YOU INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY AND THEN *NOMNOMNOMNOM* DEAD!!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Personally, I was thinking of Kirby. Let me explain...
I was thinking of something that looked ABSOLUTELY TOTES ADORBES, but in reality is a litgle ball of MASS DESTRUCTION!!!!
Think about it.
Kirby has swallowed stars, STARS! But he's just a little puff ball, BUT HE HAS A BLACK HOLE FOR A STOMACH!!!
But he's pink, and is blushing, THAT'S HOW HE GETS YOU, LULLS YOU INTO A FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY AND THEN *NOMNOMNOMNOM* DEAD!!
Sooooo Devourer x Kirby?

Manley_McDragonpuncher

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Tulsa, OK
It's lucky that Honored Mother was the dragon and not the Horse. If the mother was the Horse and the father was the Dragon... ouch.

While I'm on the thought, how is it that the entire Longma race was able to come from a single mother and father? How did they avoid becoming inbred? Maybe Longma can breed with regular horses and Longma-ism is Dominant. Then after a long, long time there was enough genetic mileage between all the little dragon horsies that they were able to safely make sweet whinny together without it being creepy. You can have that one for free, Lauren.

I think I've been distracted from this thread's original purpose... I'm going to board the Anu train and ship Oleander with Fred. Also, I like to think The Empress and Tianhuo have a thing for each other. I know there's a few people who like to put Velvet in gay ships, but she's already been Ship Teased with The Blitz, so I'm going to throw the poor guy a bone and say he has a chance.
Simple, since the mother was the dragon, it's likely longma come from eggs. Did you know a lizard can lay up to 12 eggs at a time? and then those 12 eggs each have another 12 eggs... I can see a race becoming a thing quicky.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Simple, since the mother was the dragon, it's likely longma come from eggs. Did you know a lizard can lay up to 12 eggs at a time? and then those 12 eggs each have another 12 eggs... I can see a race becoming a thing quicky.
But then the population might explode even with new generations appearing only decades later. And they can't really keep living in seclusion if there's a swarm of dragonhorses running around.

No, now we ship them off to boarding school. *Ba Dum Tss*
Ow. Well, they might find their sweetheart there.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
OleanderXFred --- Shub-Niggurath Fred is an Eldritch Abomination, and Oleander is sorta like a cultist. and Shubby is the closest to a loving EA in the mythos
Ooooh boy, now you've gone and done it. GOOD JOB.

Shub-Niggurath (Iä!, Iä!) is often associated in EichPiEl's stories with the title "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young" (or, more reader friendly, TBGotWwaTY), and is often (but not always) regarded as a female, as much as eldritch horrors from beyond the comprehension of man or ungulate can be constrained to words or concepts, so I'm not quuuuuuuuuuite sure it'd totally fit with Fred. (and I'm sure Oleander would put her hoof down on the "thousand young" part. LET'S NOT GO OUTSIDE OF THE FORUM'S RATING HERE PLEASE), unless you want to work with the implication that Fhtng is one of the thousand young, in which case oh boy, family reunions must get interesting.

Imagine introducing Oleander to your parents, when your mom is a nebulous, behemot mass of tendrils and tentacles spawning the horizon (all hail the All-Mother), and your dad is what Chronos looks like on a bad day after a cosmic hangover, (and probably not someone you want to introduce your totally-not-a-love-interest to).

Not to mention that, for all that they're the old-timey garden-variety Eldritch abominations, they all still have too many vowels (and bowels, but let's not go there). Were I to christen the ship, (someone pass me the bottle, I got a hull to cave in), I'd probably go with TSTMNBN, or, if you still want to keep it related, "ShbbNgRth, Th§ sh?p ≠f th§snd s¶ls".

... That's so gonna come back and bite me when the forum formatting breaks.

Also, here's a reminder to everyone to read my court-mandated signature disclaimer.

Zocarik

I am a writer who can also do math
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016

Shub-Niggurath (Iä!, Iä!) is often associated in EichPiEl's stories with the title "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young" (or, more reader friendly, TBGotWwaTY), and is often (but not always) regarded as a female, as much as eldritch horrors from beyond the comprehension of man or ungulate can be constrained to words or concepts, so I'm not quuuuuuuuuuite sure it'd totally fit with Fred. (and I'm sure Oleander would put her hoof down on the "thousand young" part. LET'S NOT GO OUTSIDE OF THE FORUM'S RATING HERE PLEASE), unless you want to work with the implication that Fhtng is one of the thousand young, in which case oh boy, family reunions must get interesting.

Imagine introducing Oleander to your parents, when your mom is a nebulous, behemot mass of tendrils and tentacles spawning the horizon (all hail the All-Mother), and your dad is what Chronos looks like on a bad day after a cosmic hangover, (and probably not someone you want to introduce your totally-not-a-love-interest to).

Not to mention that, for all that they're the old-timey garden-variety Eldritch abominations, they all still have too many vowels (and bowels, but let's not go there). Were I to christen the ship, (someone pass me the bottle, I got a hull to cave in), I'd probably go with TSTMNBN, or, if you still want to keep it related, "ShbbNgRth, Th§ sh?p ≠f th§snd s¶ls".

Also, here's a reminder to everyone to read my court-mandated signature disclaimer.
I called the ship Shub-Niggurath for three reasons:
1: Fred is an Eldritch Abomination, and Oleander is sorta like a cultist. and Shubby is the closest to a loving EA in the mythos
2: Shubby was, in some entries in the Cthulhu Mythos and related works, one of the only outer gods that had anything remotely similar to benevolence to mortals. Granted, her 'love' was a twisted, mutating love that left her cultists turned into monsters. At least they survived. (Azathoth would eat the universe, Yog-Sothoth was the time-space entity and had inscrutable motives, and Nyarlathotep was possibly the only truly malevolent eldritch abomination in the Mythos)
3: Shub-Niggurath is one of the easier to spell and pronounce names from the Mythos. and can be shortened to Shubby.

I did not write that with the intent of making a Cthulhu Mythos crossover. I just thought it could be a name for the ship.

Solvandus

Chin Piece
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I really like Paprika and Pom, or even just have the two of them hang out and be the Wool Sisters. .o.

Then there's also just Paprika and every living, moving ungulate across the globe. She'll find another like herself somewhere out there. . . (And may we all pray for mercy when she does)

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016

There was a point where a few people on DeviantArt were uploading "Velvetzona" every day.

Some of the art was pretty good, while others were... questionable.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
There is only so many ships we can launch as long as we don't have more characters. Until then:
Pomfy with Fred. That would be amusing as hell.

0Zero100

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I think Fred is just the "X" factor for a LOT of ships, mostly because I think people would find it amusing, but also because they think everyone deserves a little LV.
That being said...
I ship Fred....
Wiiiiith...
Shao Khan.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I think Fred is just the "X" factor for a LOT of ships, mostly because I think people would find it amusing, but also because they think everyone deserves a little LV.
That being said...
I ship Fred....
Wiiiiith...
Shao Khan.
yes..snicker,, everyone needs some,,snicker,,L.O.V.E....snicker.. knowing this fills you with..snicker.. DETERMINATION.(HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA)

TerrorCooper

Apr 28, 2021
I personally ship Horncrossed, Firesocks and Oleashmeer (Oleander X Cashmeer) primarily, though I'm not opposed to other ships such as Wintercoat, Woolherders or Shub-Niggurath.

Last edited: