Salt Mine frustrating

Petea Copine

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
It is really tough dealing with enemies that have like 1 frame reaction time and are always blocking... or getting close to a prize chest then getting touched by a predator and the chest is gone when I'm done... or having to fight players in the cave for items... or super-boss mode ungulate NPCs... or, AGH

i like fighting players for items but I wish it wasn't IN the salt cave I feel like since it's the predator zone, the ungulates should be working together

I wish the salt cave was more CO-OP working to higher difficulty levels and then if you beat a predator you can get an item or salt

And another area like a treasure trail where ungulate players can fight eachother for the prizes as they search for them

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
Judging by your profile, I assume you play Arizona, which is an issue as far as fighting AI goes. When it comes to that, sadly not all characters are created equally.

If you don't mind playing Oleander, I'd recommend using her. She's the only character I've used in the mines and I've had a lot of success. She's great for cheesing the AI because she has the only "Hadoken" projectile and a beam super. Just stay back and throw Sparks, and you can often chip out the predators before they even get to you. Also, the fact you get three Shadow Blasts every fight and start with full magic is borderline broken for her, since you can combo into super from a distance for big damage, throw traps, or air teleport away if they move in (which is much safer than ground teleport).

The biggest problem for me is the Bear, because he pretty much just jumps forward and blocks everything, than uses armor moves and input reads into command grabs at close range. The other predators often just get hit by projectiles, to be honest.

I haven't played Velvet in the mines, but I assume she'd also work well by virtue of having lots of projectiles. The fact you start with full supers and magic also means you can abuse Instant Snowballs and long range super combos.

Everything I've just said isn't really applicable to the Ungulate AIs on later levels, though. Not only are they smarter than predators and have more complete movesets, they also don't have low health. If you see an ungulate chasing you, my advice is to run until you either escape or until a predator shows up, at which point you deliberately engage the predator to make the ungulates vanish.

As far as fighting other players for items, I don't like it either. I feel bad if I steal an item from someone, especially when it ends up just being a duplicate.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
When in the mines I just let whoever gets the item chest get the item uncontested. But yeah, the bear and mimics can be difficult, especially at higher levels.

Edit: also, you can link all of Pom's level 1 specials, and with proper timing, get all 3 to finish with dog dad.

Reactions: Nightshade

Super Zat

The Quack Up
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I agree with the coop thing. its bad enough fighting AI without having to fight over the prizes.

I played pom in the mines and the didn't have trouble fighting the monsters even higher difficulty. like others have said, not all are equal against AI. hopefully they balance AI soon.

Last edited:

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Isn't the point of the game to have only one key holder, in which the various herds pit their champions against one another for the chance to send the predators back into limbo? There's no cooperation amongst them even when they have a common enemy, unless there's an option to tag-team in the battle and switch out during a defense phase.

Petea Copine

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
I haven't read the lore since the initial kickstarting but I thought the end-game was talked about having them learn about glorious cooperation, Tian Huo seems concerned about them all being strong or helping them all become stronger

Nintyuk

Professor Bright Spark
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Snake, cougar and oleander all make me extra salty in the salt mines.
I actually like getting the bear as I just find him a big target.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Enma

That one Velvet
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Mexico
enmadarei.com
I find snake to be the easiest of all, cougar is tougher but not that much. I don't know if it's just that Velvet just inherently has an easier time with the salt mine AIs, they seem to be rather predictable, once you figure out how to make them do what you want they're not that big of a deal; That said, I still have a really hard time against the bear and oleander.

Nintyuk

Professor Bright Spark
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I find snake to be the easiest of all, cougar is tougher but not that much. I don't know if it's just that Velvet just inherently has an easier time with the salt mine AIs, they seem to be rather predictable, once you figure out how to make them do what you want they're not that big of a deal; That said, I still have a really hard time against the bear and oleander.
Any character that needs to get close will struggle with Snake and Cougar

QuoteMarks

This is a bug.
Nov 23, 2017
Fighting predators as Arizona incomplete Guide:
  • In General: Hold Block whenever possible, but be aware that all predators have a close range grab. They all have pretty low max health so 2 or 3 good combos should be able to take them out.

• Wolf: Has three attacks that I have noticed, a small jab attack, a Low where the wolf melts into the ground, and a High where the wolf jumps into the air Mouth open. I usually just wait for the low block and punish.

• Snake: Has four attacks that I noticed. Three of them are Tail Swipes the first one along the ground, might be a low I can't tell I'm usually blocking low by default. The second one is an Anti-air/Launcher that will fling you to the other side of the screen if not blocked. Third is an Jump version of the first one, except it's a High. The fourth attack is the venom spit. Some general useful things, Jump-in Block, Super-jump-in block, and cross-up JC, when in close go for block strings.

• Mountain Lion: Has Two attacks that I can remember right now. The first to mention is a multi-hit Grounded Cross-up. There is a slight pause in the hits before it crosses you up and that's when you switch the side you hold in order to block it fully, if you are in the corner it will not cross you up. The second attack is a aerial Command Grab-ish thing that can be blocked, looks like the wolfs High attack, this attack can almost always be punished. On block the Mountain lion will rebound and the sprite will go into a tumbling ball animation. I usually go for an Anti-Air at this point but a Headbuck will likely work too.

• Bear: Has two attacks that I've noticed. A Slow grab that maybe can be punished with a well timed normal? and what I can only describe as a Super-Armored Shoulder-bash, least it seems super armored. This is the hardest predator for me and I have no real solid advice for it.