Runescape!! 3/07/Classic its all good

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
I can't believe i have not made this thread yet!!!

General runescape thread, post characters/stats/things your doing, whatever really

This game still remains my fav of all time, 15 years later ^^

<my character for reference

Anyone hype for double xp in a few weeks?

Reactions: Sigmath Bits

Kegradigm

Professional Heister
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh yeah, I remember playing this game. When I was in 5th grade.

When I quit, I gave away my account to one of my friends. One thing I remembered about my character was that he had camo pants from that one drill sergeant random event. Not much else.

A few years later, I decided to log into my account for the hell of it. Password was still the same, strangely.

I found my character on top of some bridge, his pants missing.

I haven't logged in since.

Reactions: JedTheKrampus

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Oh yeah, I remember playing this game. When I was in 5th grade.

When I quit, I gave away my account to one of my friends. One thing I remembered about my character was that he had camo pants from that one drill sergeant random event. Not much else.

A few years later, I decided to log into my account for the hell of it. Password was still the same, strangely.

I found my character on top of some bridge, his pants missing.

I haven't logged in since.
Sounds like your character had a rough night

Sutekh94

Veteran of being taken over by robots or something
Crowdfund Backer
I haven't played RuneScape since my freshman year in high school. Me and a bunch of my friends would play it after school was out for the day. I wound up getting bored of it pretty quickly and quit. I should log in one day just to see if my old account's still there.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
I used to play back in middle school, my first account was taken because naive 'lil Shou gave out his account information hrmhrm

Played it again recently, I still absolutely love the whole 'skill leveling' system and I would love to see more games try it out honestly. Level-ups are great, but 30 different level-ups each with significance? Oh man oh man

Honestly while I'd like to try it again, I wish there was a proper party system other than dungeoneering or raids.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
I haven't played RuneScape since my freshman year in high school. Me and a bunch of my friends would play it after school was out for the day. I wound up getting bored of it pretty quickly and quit. I should log in one day just to see if my old account's still there.
It is a pretty grindy game, just the same though that didnt deter me ever
But i can see where people get bored of it

I used to play back in middle school, my first account was taken because naive 'lil Shou gave out his account information hrmhrm

Played it again recently, I still absolutely love the whole 'skill leveling' system and I would love to see more games try it out honestly. Level-ups are great, but 30 different level-ups each with significance? Oh man oh man

Honestly while I'd like to try it again, I wish there was a proper party system other than dungeoneering or raids.
The leveling system is awesome, but hands down the thing that other games need to take from it are the quests, oh my gawd the quests <3

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I once played it as a beggar. I gave myself a long white beard, ragged pants, and ran around town begging for alms.

It made it kinda awkward when I would have to stop in at the bank to empty my inventory...

Reactions: CosmicDashie

Oscarglez93

The best mid tier you'll encounter
Feb 3, 2016
I've been playing the game for like 11 years but 3 years ago my main account got hacked and I had to start everything again, I'm still playing it but not as much as before, also I'm one of the very few people that loved EoC.

Reactions: CosmicDashie

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
I've been playing the game for like 11 years but 3 years ago my main account got hacked and I had to start everything again, I'm still playing it but not as much as before, also I'm one of the very few people that loved EoC.
Eoc was a really good change i thought, i dont know why so many people were against it!

Revolution was a really needed thing though, and im really glad we got that update, its nice to have for slayer tasks and the like

Oscarglez93

The best mid tier you'll encounter
Feb 3, 2016
That's true but if you really need DPS or really need to kill a hard monster then EoC is what you have to use since it has a lot of benefits that Revolution lacks.

Midnight_Blitz

The Reason Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Somewhere, Out There
I haven't really played this too often recently, but I HAVE played it off and on as of late for S&G to relieve immense boredom. more than a decade and still no 99 stats... uggh. Whatever happened to maxing Magic...? =_=
I prefer the old style from '07 (I can't keep up with RS3 at all) but eh. At least I have that option now.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Awww yeaaaahh. Runescape 07 was the best. Played between 06-07. I was the kind of person who would "trim armor for free" ;^)

Anyone else got this book still?
View attachment 132
My cousin has that! We looked through it recently enough to find how hilariously irrelevant half of the book is now. It's got pages that explained acronyms too and I don't think even half of them people used

Reactions: Regretfulspark

Equestrian Wyvern

The Necrogryphon
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Been years since I actually played the game, but I guess I can probably give unique insights on the game given my history with it.
To give a super abbreviated history, I originally started playing the game back in the dark ages of 2004, joined one of the really old school groups that would run silly little in game events which eventually met a rocky end when its coffers were raided when the team was disbanded and the leadership switched over to one of the fansites event teams. Shortly after I was brought in to the Fansite's content team for completely unrelated reasons, where I spent 7 or so years writing and updating guides about the game. Also at some point early on I became a player moderator which I was until roughly a month before I quit in mid July 2014. In all that time the only achievement cape that I ever managed to accomplish was the quest cape.

Anyways the observations regarding things that come to mind:
  • If I remember correctly the quests from 2004-2011 were some of the most entertaining writing I have seen for a game of Runescape's type, after that not so much.
  • In terms of EoC I more or less agreed with what Jagex was trying to accomplish, it was simply a matter that the implementation was deeply flawed when it was released. If you look farther back into the game's history you can see that there was a long running issue with keeping the three sides of the combat triangle in balance with one another, which trended towards Melee being dominant for economical use, and Magic beating melee if you threw money at it, with Ranged more or less being useless as it rarely ever got comparable equipment and the costs to use it competitively were astronomical. When EoC initially came out this was only made significantly worse due to the balancing which more or less made skill levels irrelevant and equipment levels king, seeing as only the most expensive pieces of magical equipment were on par with melee's best weapons and Ranged didn't even have something remotely close. by the time they fixed the egregious errors the damage had been done, and by the time I quit they had never actually done the holistic rebalancing of the combat system that they needed.
  • In terms of the Scholastic book, half the book was inaccurate when they published the thing...
  • Jagex holds the odd distinction of being on both my lists of developers to follow the example of, and of being a developer serving as a great example of how not to develop a game. More specifically, prior to the start of their cashflow problems in 2010/2011 there were plenty of great examples of them realizing that sometimes needing to make the difficult decision and do what is better for the game in the long run as opposed to doing what they players wanted. Following the start of their cashflow problems, things took a significant turn for the worse as they pushed more and more to make the 'core' gamers happy with every single update, and their chronic mismanagement of game content left vast swathes of activities abandoned and occasionally unusable only made worse by their obvious attempts to steer fans towards suggesting the solution they were working on for each 'problem'.
  • In terms of more silly observations, the long since removed gnome copters had one of its destinations jam packed with references to Fansite staff, alas I wasn't big enough at the time to get one of myself included.
Anyways that will be all for now. If you have any questions you are dying to ask, I can certainly try to answer them.

Sigmath Bits

Mmmmm, delicious baked crowdfunds.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Oh, I actually love Runescape. I haven't played it in a while (maybe half a year?). I tend to still get a lot of fun out of it though each time I return. I think I'm more of an on-and-off player :)

Waaaay, way back in Old School Runescape, I was super obsessed with it. On two occasions.
Mining and smithing were always my favourite thing. Combined with always forgetting my password, I think I've reached level 40 mining at least 4 times ... ^~^; Currently I think I'm level ... 48 mining? I don't remember, maybe I'll have another month-long obsessed period sometime soon xD

But ahh, Runescape, love that game.

Regretfulspark

If it runs on batteries I'll see it!! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 16, 2016
USA
www.ironponymercs.com
Oh, I actually love Runescape. I haven't played it in a while (maybe half a year?). I tend to still get a lot of fun out of it though each time I return. I think I'm more of an on-and-off player :)

Waaaay, way back in Old School Runescape, I was super obsessed with it. On two occasions.
Mining and smithing were always my favourite thing. Combined with always forgetting my password, I think I've reached level 40 mining at least 4 times ... ^~^; Currently I think I'm level ... 48 mining? I don't remember, maybe I'll have another month-long obsessed period sometime soon xD

But ahh, Runescape, love that game.
Lmao Mining was something I spent so much time on as well! I remember looking over at all the "cool kids" mining all the gold to their hearts content. Lvl 13 me thought that was the coolest thing ever! I mean...GOLD! How rich that guy must've been! That was my motivation to grind out as much mining as possible. MANY MANY Days and Nights later....Gold wasn't as profitable as I thought It would be =(..... Ahaha that was like back in 2005ish. Havent really touched on the game since after 2012ish? I always go back and log in just for giggles though.

BONUS!

Noob me right now =p

Regretfulspark

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 16, 2016
USA
www.ironponymercs.com
Awww yeaaaahh. Runescape 07 was the best. Played between 06-07. I was the kind of person who would "trim armor for free" ;^)

Anyone else got this book still?
View attachment 132
Bro! OMG Yes! Ahaha I remember getting that during those Scholastic "Book Fairs" at school. Woooo so many good memories. I remember reading through a passage that gave you hints on how to make money. I remember it recommending to "Kill chickens, cook them, and then sell them to the General store for 3 gp -_-. Man! wish I still had that book =p.

Reactions: Altashi

Sigmath Bits

Mmmmm, delicious baked crowdfunds.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Lmao Mining was something I spent so much time on as well! I remember looking over at all the "cool kids" mining all the gold to their hearts content. Lvl 13 me thought that was the coolest thing ever! I mean...GOLD! How rich that guy must've been! That was my motivation to grind out as much mining as possible. MANY MANY Days and Nights later....Gold wasn't as profitable as I thought It would be =(..... Ahaha that was like back in 2005ish. Havent really touched on the game since after 2012ish? I always go back and log in just for giggles though.

BONUS!

Noob me right now =p
Haha, yeah, I know how you mean; for me actually, the motivation was to mine silver (I loved silver when I was younger ^^; ), and then to be able to mine cool stuff like Mythril.
And I always wanted to be able to get into the Miner's Guild under Falador. And I also loved the idea of crafting your own tools all the way from their "raw" components, and I wouldn't ever wear armour I couldn't make (which meant I pretty much just had Iron armour, and then I realised I wouldn't be able to wear some of it because I neglected leveling Attack, Defense, and Strength ^^; But the fun of it was what was the goal).

And for the Bonus, love it, haha xD Are you wearing robes of some kind? Magic was always my second favourite stat.

Regretfulspark

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 16, 2016
USA
www.ironponymercs.com
Haha, yeah, I know how you mean; for me actually, the motivation was to mine silver (I loved silver when I was younger ^^; ), and then to be able to mine cool stuff like Mythril.
And I always wanted to be able to get into the Miner's Guild under Falador. And I also loved the idea of crafting your own tools all the way from their "raw" components, and I wouldn't ever wear armour I couldn't make (which meant I pretty much just had Iron armour, and then I realised I wouldn't be able to wear some of it because I neglected leveling Attack, Defense, and Strength ^^; But the fun of it was what was the goal).

And for the Bonus, love it, haha xD Are you wearing robes of some kind? Magic was always my second favourite stat.
If my memory serves me right, those robes right there are called Batwing robes! I believe they are an early lvl magic robes you can get if magic is your thing. Magic was always my main focus in terms of fighting. I just loved the idea of casting magic when I was a kid and it's always stuck with me.

Lmao ya I remember having my friend go into the Miner's Guild and mining all those Mythrils for me 0_0. That same friend also provided me armor because just like you I didn't have the required smithing experience X). Good times!

Reactions: Sigmath Bits