Roguelikes

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I'm assuming that some people here have at least one in their library.

Stuff like The Binding of Isaac and FTL. I personally couldn't get into Binding of Isaac, but I did find my love in One Way Heroics, which is freaking awesome, especially with the OWH+ DLC.

Which ones do you guys play, if you play any at all?

Reactions: hawthornbunny

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is my go-to game when I want to scratch that roguelike itch. Recently stumbled upon and installed a Binding of Undertale mod for it that carries over changed aesthetics quite well. Introduces some fresh air to a game I spent hundreds of hours playing, can recommend it to try out for anyone who's an enthusiast of both games.

Nelson

#DormWifi
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I play Spelunky (Already have about 800 hrs in it) and TBoI (I recommend Afterbirth)... Nuclear Throne as well. :p

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
I have Nuclear Throne waiting in my library to try it out one of these days. As a recommendation, how would you compare it to Afterbirth?

Dismal Dimwit

The Duke of Derp
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hearthstone's a roguelike game, right? I mean it has a rogue in it and I like it, so it should count, I'd think.

Jokes aside, I've sunk a few hundred hours into Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth. Finally manged to unlock God Head, though I'm having trouble with the Keeper. I find him to actually be harder than the lost in many ways. (Well after you unlock Holy Mantle for the lost)

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
Any1 tried Wizard's Lizard?

It's not as intense as TBOI or nuclear throne but it was entertaining to try cause they have a death system where if u die the spirit world make the game way harder.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Binding of issac is my drug

That game is just so much fun, tons of replayability, its just wonderful :D

except for the bloat..... that guy sucks.....

Reactions: Nelson

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm assuming that some people here have at least one in their library.

Stuff like The Binding of Isaac and FTL. I personally couldn't get into Binding of Isaac, but I did find my love in One Way Heroics, which is freaking awesome, especially with the OWH+ DLC.

Which ones do you guys play, if you play any at all?
So glad to see a thread for these! I'm a huge roguelike fan, I've been playing them for years and I love that so many games are embracing the roguelike ideal nowadays. In fact, adding the words "procedurally generated" to any game greatly increases the chance that I'll buy it. ^^

I started off with NetHack, which made me fall in love with the genre; after a long time of playing that, I moved onto Dungeon Crawl, which I still think is the best roguelike overall in terms of gameplay. I played a lot of Angband too, but that one's kind of fallen out of my favor because I find it doesn't have much strategic depth to it (pretty much all enemies are dealt with in exactly the same way, despite the game having an enormous monster menagerie).

I also really like DoomRL (the Doom roguelike) which is an amazing concept that works surprisingly brilliantly. (And is also the only roguelike I can actually complete. ^^)

For more modern games I've played a lot of Minecraft (obviously), a ton of Terraria, Spelunky, Desktop Dungeons, FTL, Rogue Legacy, Magicite (a bit like Spelunky with crafting), Steredenn (a roguelike-ish scrolling shoot 'em up), and most recently, Downwell, a great little minimalist frantic platformer/shooter that's also a bit like Spelunky.

I've often dreamed of making my own roguelike, but it's so much harder than it looks. :)

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I'm not exactly great at roguelikes but I still generally enjoy them a lot. Sorta like fighting games. Anyway, I've played many.

Dungeons of Dredmor was probably the first I really played, for 60 hours but I've never finished it. Rogue Legacy took me a while to get anywhere in but a few months back I plowed through three bosses before swapping to a different game. Eldritch is a pretty good first person roguelike based on Lovecraft. I've spent a bit of time with One Way Heroics. Couldn't get into Spelunky and despite the time I've put into it I don't feel like I've gotten into BoI, I don't know what most items do still. I played through Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. It was pretty good, but as it's considered the best of the series it wasn't good enough for me to rush out and get Super Mystery Dungeon right away.

But my favorite, conceptually at least, is Crypt of the NecroDancer. I've only beaten the first two levels, but also being a music lover it's like it was made for me. It's just hard to get back into after taking a break because I've forgotten how to deal with all the patterns.

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
But my favorite, conceptually at least, is Crypt of the NecroDancer. I've only beaten the first two levels, but also being a music lover it's like it was made for me. It's just hard to get back into after taking a break because I've forgotten how to deal with all the patterns.
Mmhmm Necrodancer is perfect for music luvers~ I played it with "Billie Jean" pure gold.

TheTrainingDummy

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
California
I've completed the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series besides Red/Blue Rescue Team and completed FTL. Though it was on easy mode for FTL, only ever finished one hard mode run... Getting 5 scrap from one ship was depressing. The missiles were real.

I'm currently playing Crypt of the Necrodancer as well. Just finished a Melody All Zones Run and currently tackling Aria and Dove. Aria is messed up ;-; dying in a single beat if you don't include the potion. Apparently, I looked it up and there's another character that combines the special aspects of the harder characters all into one... I'm not sure I'll be able to do that.

I also have Binding of Issac, but I've really only opened it up, I'll probably get to it eventually.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I play Spelunky (Already have about 800 hrs in it) and TBoI (I recommend Afterbirth)... Nuclear Throne as well. :p
I really do love me some Spelunky. I have nearly 900 deaths on it, and I've technically only beaten the game twice. Both times I think were from taking shortcuts.

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
I really do love me some Spelunky. I have nearly 900 deaths on it, and I've technically only beaten the game twice. Both times I think were from taking shortcuts.
Jesus. Is Spelunkey that difficult? Also I nevered played it b4, would u recommend me playin it for myself.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Jesus. Is Spelunkey that difficult? Also I nevered played it b4, would u recommend me playin it for myself.
It is difficult, but I found the game very whimsical, and adorable enough that I keep going back. Normally, I tend to get pretty salty when I play games, but Spelunky is silly enough in the way it looks and feels, that I can't really get salty playing it unless I get all super cereal.

In short: It's a lot of fun, and you will die a lot, but I'd say it's worth it.

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
It is difficult, but I found the game very whimsical, and adorable enough that I keep going back. Normally, I tend to get pretty salty when I play games, but Spelunky is silly enough in the way it looks and feels, that I can't really get salty playing it unless I get all super cereal.

In short: It's a lot of fun, and you will die a lot, but I'd say it's worth it.
I c, but aren't all roguelike like that. I never really get mad at them just the determination to beat it; besides nuclear thrones as much as I luv the game and chars, it's just too ridic.

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
I used to play this one game on the Sega Genesis called Fatal Labrynth. It's very good, and probably the closest game to Rogue that I've played personally.

Otherwise, another good Roguelike that people havn't played a lot of is Azure Dreams on the PS1 and Gameboy Color. It's sort of a Roguelike with Pokemon elements, combined with a Romance simulator. It's a weird but very good game.

Bolsha

Just your ordinary chemist
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I must recommend old little gem called Iter Vehemens Ad Necem. That's the game that made me love roguelikes when I was younger. Sure it isn't as complex as for example Nethack, but I play it still pretty reguralry and have fun.

Wark

A being of random uselessness
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I started playing Dungeon Crawl in 2011 and has been returning to it more or less regularly since then (which is uncommon, as I usually get bored of most RPGs pretty fast). One thing that made me seriously attached to the game was introduction of Felids, because the mental image of a cat running into a room and blowing up the enemies with fireballs and other destructive magic was too hilarious to overlook.

Other than that, I've tried Angband, NetHack and Gearhead, but haven't really stuck with any of these for long. Oh, and also Desktop Dungeons, this one is quite enjoyable.

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I started playing Dungeon Crawl in 2011 and has been returning to it more or less regularly since then (which is uncommon, as I usually get bored of most RPGs pretty fast). One thing that made me seriously attached to the game was introduction of Felids, because the mental image of a cat running into a room and blowing up the enemies with fireballs and other destructive magic was too hilarious to overlook.
I really should play again! Even though it's my favorite roguelike, I haven't gone back to it in a while.

Other than that, I've tried Angband, NetHack and Gearhead, but haven't really stuck with any of these for long. Oh, and also Desktop Dungeons, this one is quite enjoyable.
I loved the original free version of Desktop Dungeons, but disappointingly, I found that the Steam game just wasn't as enjoyable. I cannot fathom why they felt the need to add a "build up your village" section and overworld map, which are pure mystery meat navigation and serve no purpose except to delay you from starting the actual game.

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
My favorite Roguelikes are Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (classic RL), Elona (Japanese open-world RL with fixed overworld and towns but random dungeons), and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (zombie apocalypse with other monsters, based around training up your character's skills and crafting items to survive).

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Rogue Legacy is great fun. I played that one until NG+++... was no long a challenge since I kept leveling up but enemies stopped getting stronger.

Played FTL for a while and enjoyed it, but that final boss was rather...discouraging.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit was pretty alright. Not amazing, but alright.

TwistedSheep

A sort-of-artist
Backers' Beta Tester
BOI: Afterbirth and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (that counts right?) I love roguelikes but my laptop isn't really suited for too many games

Hearthstone's a roguelike game, right? I mean it has a rogue in it and I like it, so it should count, I'd think.

Jokes aside, I've sunk a few hundred hours into Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth. Finally manged to unlock God Head, though I'm having trouble with the Keeper. I find him to actually be harder than the lost in many ways. (Well after you unlock Holy Mantle for the lost)
The Keeper is difficult but not as hard as classic The Lost there are a few especially good items for him and tactics.
First, if you have the wooden nickel use it every combat room you can charge items (battery, nuns habit, 9 volt, car battery, etc.) are godly with it
Second, first and second floor blow up as many pots as possible they can drop swallowed penny which is wonderful
Never take deals without knowing there's an HP up
If you have a choice between tears and damage go for tears (I dislike his slow fire rate so much) and if you've unlocked his store key and his wooden nickel shops are one thing keeper shines with

Lastly keep trying he's difficult as heck

Wark

A being of random uselessness
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I loved the original free version of Desktop Dungeons, but disappointingly, I found that the Steam game just wasn't as enjoyable. I cannot fathom why they felt the need to add a "build up your village" section and overworld map, which are pure mystery meat navigation and serve no purpose except to delay you from starting the actual game.
Personally, I don't have a problem with the world map and such, but I do see how introduction of these may lessen the enjoyment for some people. Crawl has a good approach here, I think, which is basically "considering that the game may sometimes last only a few minutes, the player should not spend too much time on preparation screen".

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Personally, I don't have a problem with the world map and such, but I do see how introduction of these may lessen the enjoyment for some people. Crawl has a good approach here, I think, which is basically "considering that the game may sometimes last only a few minutes, the player should not spend too much time on preparation screen".
Most roguelikes I've played take that approach. I just felt like it really detracted from the minimalist joy of the original. You could see all the combinatory possibilities laid out for you on the menu screen and be in game in a few quick clicks. In the Steam version, I have no idea what I'm aiming for and I don't care about the world being presented to me, I just want to defeat a bunch of bad guys through careful clicking and mathematical consideration. :)

Epsilon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Love the genre, though as of late prefer to go for more eye-pleasing ones and away from ASCII.
Started with ADOM around eight years ago or so, never completed it and never will.
After that played DCSS for quite a long time, won a 15-runes run with a Demonspawn, felt accomplished, don't want to repeat it quite yet.
Played DoomRL, loved it, won a game with Malicious Blades Engineer. Sadly, the game had no updates for years.
Tried Cataclysm until it went into some weird direction with martial arts and stuff.
Currently playing ToME4. Won the game twice on Normal Adventure, now stressing myself with Nightmare Adventure. No way in hell I'm playing Roguelike in this game.

Also tend to like games with RL elements, like Binding of Isaac or Risk of Rain.

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Love the genre, though as of late prefer to go for more eye-pleasing ones and away from ASCII.
Started with ADOM around eight years ago or so, never completed it and never will.
After that played DCSS for quite a long time, won a 15-runes run with a Demonspawn, felt accomplished, don't want to repeat it quite yet.
Played DoomRL, loved it, won a game with Malicious Blades Engineer. Sadly, the game had no updates for years.
Tried Cataclysm until it went into some weird direction with martial arts and stuff.
Currently playing ToME4. Won the game twice on Normal Adventure, now stressing myself with Nightmare Adventure. No way in hell I'm playing Roguelike in this game.

Also tend to like games with RL elements, like Binding of Isaac or Risk of Rain.
I was an ASCII hipster for ages. :) I'm more open nowadays, but there's still something strangely comforting to me about them.

I've never come close to finishing Dungeon Crawl. Never even seen the Orb of Zot.

Karilyn

Buttonmashing Scrub
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Let's see, what Roguelikes have I played? Only modern ones, though I've been increasingly tempted to go back and play some more old-school roguelikes.

The Binding of Isaac is on of my most played games of all time. I think I'm sitting at near 800 hours. FTL was a lot of fun too, though I haven't played it in a long time; I think I ran it out of replay value for me, repeated play-throughs feel too similar. Crypt of the Necrodancer is the most frustratingly hair-pulling rogue-like I've ever played, I can't decide if I love it or hate it. Had trouble getting into Spelunky.

Risk of Rain and Rogue Legacy I'm both sketchy on if I actually wanna consider them roguelikes. Maybe they are more like roguelike-likes. I liked the former, and didn't care much for the latter.

The Keeper is difficult but not as hard as classic The Lost
Dunno if he's that hard once you get the Wooden Nickel and Store Key unlocked. He's actually quickly becoming my favorite character now that I have his unlocks.

Last edited:

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Risk of Rain and Rogue Legacy I'm both sketchy on if I actually wanna consider them roguelikes. Maybe they are more like roguelike-likes..
I believe Rogue Legacy labels itself a Rogue-lite.

Surrui

Them's Fightin' Dweeb
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Spain
www.youtube.com
TBOI is love, TBOI is life. Nuclear Throne is a hard drug you can't stop playing it but... someone in this forum play Dungeon Souls? That game is freaking LOVE

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I tried Dungeon Crawl again yesterday. Maybe it's been too long since I played, but I don't remember the game being so darned hard. I mean, I know it's hard, but not can't-even-get-past-dungeon-level-3 hard. And here was me thinking I'd got better at games :)

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
TBOI is love, TBOI is life. Nuclear Throne is a hard drug you can't stop playing it but... someone in this forum play Dungeon Souls? That game is freaking LOVE

Ooooooh that does look satisfyingly splodey.

Epsilon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I tried Dungeon Crawl again yesterday. Maybe it's been too long since I played, but I don't remember the game being so darned hard. I mean, I know it's hard, but not can't-even-get-past-dungeon-level-3 hard. And here was me thinking I'd got better at games :)
I'm pretty sure, DCSS has become much easier in little mistakes department. There are much less problems with food, cursed items, item destruction and stuff. Also, you can always take a gargoyle fighter and Tab/O yourself up to the Lair.

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm pretty sure, DCSS has become much easier in little mistakes department. There are much less problems with food, cursed items, item destruction and stuff. Also, you can always take a gargoyle fighter and Tab/O yourself up to the Lair.
But I like being a ninja birdie *squish*