Quarter circles not getting diagonals

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
When I'm playing as Pom I'm having a hard time summoning my dogs because the quarter circle motions don't always work. According to training mode, the diagonals aren't being detected by the game, so I get :2::6: instead of :2::3::6:. I'm using an Xbox 360 controller, if that's relevant

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I've observed this, too. In my experience, it's attempting to execute the quarter circles really fast that causes this to happen. As someone new to fighting games, I'm not really sure if this is a bug or not, because for all I know it could be intended to make it easier to switch from :2: to :6: without doing a quarter circle by accident, meanwhile quarter circles are meant to be taken a little more slowly to begin with.

Here are my specs, regardless. Also using an Xbox 360 controller.

Attachments

QuoteMarks

This is a bug.
Nov 23, 2017
I just thought the Xbox controller just had smaller diagonal zones than vertical and horizontal ones. I've been rolling my thumb along the edge of the D-pad when trying to do quarter circles.

smegthendead

Feb 27, 2018
Having the same issue, only with a Dualshock 4 controller. Annoyingly inconsistent - even when being very careful to trace the outside of the analogue stick.

D-pad works fine, but my fingers aren't happy!

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
The new patch notes say "input for specials have more consistent and lenient timing", but I'm still not getting my quarter circles unless I take special care in pushing the joystick straight down and keeping it pushed to the edge while I bring it to the left/right. Of course, I don't have time for this in a heated fighting game.

QuoteMarks

This is a bug.
Nov 23, 2017
There is a limit to how lenient they can make things like quarter circles inputs. If they're to lenient then it becomes hard not to do them, and they'll interfere with normals.

My suggestion is to practice the input in training mode. Arizona has about 4-5 combos in her basic combo trials that seem designed specifically to help practice them.

3-5-18.PNG 3-5-18.PNG 3-5-18.PNG 3-5-18.PNG

Edit: There are more in the intermediate levels. And if you do go to training mode I'll also suggest turning on the Input display so that you can see what the game is seeing.

Last edited: