PS4 Controller Is Really Wonky

King Of Town

Mar 5, 2018
• Location of Bug: Controller Select

• Description: The game recognizes my PS4 controller (using DS4 windows) just fine. Every button works in almost every menu and in game. The only issue is when you scroll over to select it in the controller menu. When I hit the mapped 'accept' button nothing happens. My xbox one controller and keyboard both allow me to scroll over and then hit the mapped accept button to begin recognizing the controller, but not my PS4 controller. I have to input a second controller along with my PS4 controller and hit accept with the second controller to get passed that screen, but then I have a second controller I can't get rid of.

• Reproduction rate: I've tried multiple way for a couple of days to resolve it and nothing is working. I've resolved to just use my xbox one controller but I'd really like to us my PS4 one.

Attachments

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
There should be absolutely no need for any third party controller software going on for a DS4 to work with TFH. I've actually just gone and tested that myself with my own DS4. What likely is going on is that your DS4Windows is creating a second controller that is not completely being recognized, on top of what is already there. Same thing occurs when you use Steam Big Picture mode and do stuff with that with specific binds being done through Steam.

Can you try using the DS4 without the DS4Windows being active if you don't mind? That should clear up any issues.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

King Of Town

Mar 5, 2018
There should be absolutely no need for any third party controller software going on for a DS4 to work with TFH. I've actually just gone and tested that myself with my own DS4. What likely is going on is that your DS4Windows is creating a second controller that is not completely being recognized, on top of what is already there. Same thing occurs when you use Steam Big Picture mode and do stuff with that with specific binds being done through Steam.

Can you try using the DS4 without the DS4Windows being active if you don't mind? That should clear up any issues.
My DS4 doesn't work at all without DS4Windows making it think it's a 360 controller.

Hericks

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 24, 2016
Fresno, CA
I've also experienced some funny quirks while using my DS4 with DS4Windows.

Location of bug: Controller select menu, training mode, controller config, and in tutorial mode:free play

Description: I've found that my computer does indeed create a phantom controller when using DS4Windows and my DS4 controller, and it seems to confuse the game a bit. When you start the game, it prompts you to select which player gets which controller. Naturally I would choose player 1 (I just assumed that was normally supposed to happen). Then, if you go into training mode, and set the dummy to manual, the one controller is in control of both fighters, so the controller is both player one and player two, even though no controller was selected for player two at the game startup. The same thing happens when you are in the tutorial mode, and get to the free play parts, and some of the trials. Then, if you open controller config, the configuration for both player one and two are opened, and the DS4 controls them both.
Ironically, it doesn't seem like you can get into two player mode, as the controller select menu will appear again, and will not let you proceed until both players have a controller selected. Although I didn't try too hard.

Screenshot:
bugcap01.png
bugcap02.png
I used Oli for both P1 and dummy to make it easy to see they are moving at the same exact time, since they are both controlled by one controller. It's actually kinda amusing. XP

Steps to Reproduce: connect your DS4 using DS4Windows, and then start the game, and go into training mode and set the dummy to manual, or into tutorial mode, or open controller config.

Reproduction rate: 100% as far as I can tell.

Solutions: I've found that connecting my generic controller to my computer in addition to the DS4 will allow me to select DS4 for player 1 and the generic controller for player 2, and the game will run just fine, no more controller confusion.
Also, I tried turning off the DS4Windows application, and restarting the game, and that seemed ti worked just fine as well.

I do remember though, the initial setup of my DS4 on my computer was quite a headache. I had to struggle for a bit before I was able to get my computer unconfused, and the controller working properly. But that's more of issues between the DS4 controller and Windows, not the game.

Hope this helps.

Attachments