Popular Game Series You've Never Tried

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
So there's a lot of games out there. That's pretty obvious, but it seems like there's a few series out there that everyone expects that everyone else has played. Stuff like Mario, Call of Duty, etc.

So, which of those popular games series have you never really tried? Also, feel free to comment on posts to let people know why that series is worth a shot!

For me, I've committed what's basically the ultimate sin for some gamers: I've never really given the Zelda games their due. I played a couple of them briefly but never really seriously. I know, I'm an awful gamer.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Halo and Zelda for example. Rayman also should be here, since I only played it for a short while on my friend's PS. What else... Oh yeah, Undertale.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
The Uncharted series, Sly Cooper serier, a LOT of the Sonic games, the Metal Gear Solid series, the Silent Hill series, Half-Life series, Fallout series... a TON of stuff... that is to say, I've never PLAYED them. I have, however, watched playthroughs of them... a LOT of playthroughs...

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Gears of War and Halo are two big ones. Well, I played the demo of Halo (PC), but I don't think that really counts.

I want to play them both, but I want them both to have the entire catalogue ported to PC, and that hasn't happened.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
@Avering
@Shadow of Death

Halo is one of my all-time favorite series, so I'd highly recommend it! If you have an Xbox One, you can pick up the four main number games (1-4) in a bundle. It's a ton of fun on all levels: the campaigns are usually great, multiplayer is excellent (Halo 5 is the most fun I've had online in a LONG time), and thre's plenty of other features that are great as well (Forge mode, Split-Screen, Theater, etc.).

Though I do agree that Halo should be ported to the PC; I feel like it'd be really great on there. The original game is on PC and actually has an active modding community. The mods by CMT are pretty exceptional; they take campaign levels and update them with new graphics and features from the later games (and some that they made themselves). Some of their levels are even redone almost completely; for example, the level Silent Cartographer is essentially a circular island, but they changed it up so that it's a sprawling island full of caves and cool rock formations. I'd definitely check it out if you have the time.

@0Zero100

Yeah, most of those series are on my list as well. I will vouch for Fallout though, as that's probably my favorite game series ever. The aesthetic is just so great; there's nothing like roaming the waste with your trusty canine companion while songs from the early 20th century blast over your radio. You can pick up 3 and New Vegas pretty cheap now, so if you're interested I'd give them a shot.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Until Portable ops that is

I never could watch through a playthrough without playing the game myself. Especially if there is some kind of commentary under it.
Dude, Paprika look evil in your new avatar. If I like the person talking, I can stand the commentary, but that's after the INITIAL watch of the game, I watch JUST the game the first time and then see if anyone I'm sub'd to has played it as well.
P.S. I'll check out that video now.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
@Avering
@Shadow of Death

Halo is one of my all-time favorite series, so I'd highly recommend it! If you have an Xbox One, you can pick up the four main number games (1-4) in a bundle. It's a ton of fun on all levels: the campaigns are usually great, multiplayer is excellent (Halo 5 is the most fun I've had online in a LONG time), and thre's plenty of other features that are great as well (Forge mode, Split-Screen, Theater, etc.).

Though I do agree that Halo should be ported to the PC; I feel like it'd be really great on there. The original game is on PC and actually has an active modding community. The mods by CMT are pretty exceptional; they take campaign levels and update them with new graphics and features from the later games (and some that they made themselves). Some of their levels are even redone almost completely; for example, the level Silent Cartographer is essentially a circular island, but they changed it up so that it's a sprawling island full of caves and cool rock formations. I'd definitely check it out if you have the time.

@0Zero100

Yeah, most of those series are on my list as well. I will vouch for Fallout though, as that's probably my favorite game series ever. The aesthetic is just so great; there's nothing like roaming the waste with your trusty canine companion while songs from the early 20th century blast over your radio. You can pick up 3 and New Vegas pretty cheap now, so if you're interested I'd give them a shot.
The reason I don't play Halo: They're not all on PC. I can't stand playing FPS with a controller. It feels horribly clunky.

The irony, if you could call it that, is that playing FPS on console is what got me into playing FPS in the first place (I used to be an RPG, Platformer, action, and Arcade genre game player). Resistance: Fall of Man is what got me started on it. When I got my own gaming PC, I started using M+KB and when I looked back to play Resistance 2 it....didn't go well. I found it so awkward I couldn't make it through the tutorial mission.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
The reason I don't play Halo: They're not all on PC. I can't stand playing FPS with a controller. It feels horribly clunky.

The irony, if you could call it that, is that playing FPS on console is what got me into playing FPS in the first place (I used to be an RPG, Platformer, action, and Arcade genre game player). Resistance: Fall of Man is what got me started on it. When I got my own gaming PC, I started using M+KB and when I looked back to play Resistance 2 it....didn't go well. I found it so awkward I couldn't make it through the tutorial mission.
That's fair enough; I agree completely that the series should be ported to PC. Sure there's a couple spin-offs on PC, but I don't really see why they wouldn't want the whole series on PC. Last I heard, there was a somewhat popular demand to port them over. Fingers crossed that it eventually happens, I suppose.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I never played the Halo games, elder scrolls skyrim, Mass Effect and many other overhyped games, every time I hear from someone I HAVE TO play overhyped game xyz, then it falls deeeeeep down on my what "I maybe play list".^^

And I never play any Moba games, I watched friends and relatives play this games, and watched some vids of others play this games, and I have to say I don't like the community around this games that would suck out the fun for me, to play the with this kind of players. =/

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
Never played any MMO or MOBA, anything the Zelda or Final Fantasy series', nor any game developed by Blizzard or Valve. And that's fine. I'd strongly disagree with anyone who'd claim there is even a single book, movie or game that has to be read/watched/played by everyone.

Sutekh94

Veteran of being taken over by robots or something
Crowdfund Backer
There's a LOT of stuff I haven't seriously played... Namely, any MOBAs (since a lot of MOBA communities seem to be toxic as poison), any of the Halo games (since I don't have any Xboxes - or the first game on PC for that matter), any of the FNaFs (ehh...), any of the Final Fantasies (I was never really big into JRPGs), just to name a few.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I played the first FNaF on a friends computer once for about 3 hours hated every second of it, never bought it myself. I have the Bioshock series, but I haven't touched it yet. I also haven't played any Musou, games, hopefully I can rectify that with Dragon Quest Heroes.

For people who haven't played Dragon Quest before, I recommend Dragon Quest IV as a good place to start, then move on to V, VI and IX (assuming you have a DS/3DS). And Dragon Quest VII and VIII's 3DS remakes are getting a western release later this year.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
There are a number of series I have never played. Gears of war, Call of Duty (modern warfare era. I have played the WW2 era games on the Gamecube),

Five Night at Freddy's as I really dislike horror games. Though when it first came out, I did give it credit for using a setting I was surprised no one had used before. (Be honest, how many of us never like the Chuck-E-Cheese mascot robots?)

Ultima and Everquest as well, though I may look into them someday.