Pom Gameplay

Kylgore

Has the beginner's gung-ho spirit!
Jun 9, 2017
Pom is the most adorable thing. We all know this, but most of us haven't been able to experience her actual combat prowess. With the advent of release so tantalizingly close, it seems a good idea to prepare ourselves for the conflict that awaits.

This is a thread where we can discuss Pom strategies and combos or hype Pom gameplay moments. The hope is for it to become a good resource from which people can draw for new ideas or help.

I wish you all happy fighting and good luck!

Salty Beef

Fau Con, at your service.
we
Pom is the most adorable thing. We all know this, but most of us haven't been able to experience her actual combat prowess. With the advent of release so tantalizingly close, it seems a good idea to prepare ourselves for the conflict that awaits.

This is a thread where we can discuss Pom strategies and combos or hype Pom gameplay moments. The hope is for it to become a good resource from which people can draw for new ideas or help.

I wish you all happy fighting and good luck!
should have a thread like this for all of them honestly. very good that you started one for Pom.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
The dogs are controlled with negative edge. That is to say, hold down D to take control of the dog (they'll run left or right according to the direction you press), then hold in the command direction of the attack you want to put out and release D. The attack will trigger upon releasing D.

Cloudy Skies

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 6, 2017
Simple question: Exactly how do I pull off a longer combo without dogs? I can do a decently groundbounce combo with two charges of the flying pupper, but when I try to 6A 6B 6C 23C into air 6A 6B 6C, it falls apart because the enemy techs before the 6C.

Yet, sometimes it works. Is there a trick (say, "to the 6A right after you get into the air") or somesuch that I'm missing?

I'm very, very bad at Pom, but I feel my control over dogs ("bad and getting better") far outstrips my understanding of any basic combo she might have.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
The dogs are controlled with negative edge. That is to say, hold down D to take control of the dog (they'll run left or right according to the direction you press), then hold in the command direction of the attack you want to put out and release D. The attack will trigger upon releasing D.
I always summoning a pup and either leaving him there and using D and a directional button to perform my chains or double tap D for placement. I tried holding down D but it takes awhile before I can activate the pup and the fact I have to stay in neutral too makes it all the harder..

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
Simple question: Exactly how do I pull off a longer combo without dogs? I can do a decently groundbounce combo with two charges of the flying pupper, but when I try to 6A 6B 6C 23C into air 6A 6B 6C, it falls apart because the enemy techs before the 6C.
j.B has five hits. The first four hits only have enough stun to link into the last hit. If you cancel j.B too early, you'll only hit with one of the first hits, and you'll drop the combo. You have to wait until the last hit lands.

A somewhat more reliable air string is actually j.B>66>j.B, as it will usually guide your opponent back to a place where you can hit them from the ground once you land again. This will let you get some ground hits and loop back into another air string.

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
j.B means medium in the air, and 66 means forward air dash. Pom can cancel her air normals with an airdash. The above combo is air medium, airdash forward after the last hit lands, then air medium again. If you can get the timing right, you can land and hit them with a quick normal like 2A, 5B, or 2B.

Cloudy Skies

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 6, 2017
j.B means medium in the air, and 66 means forward air dash. Pom can cancel her air normals with an airdash. The above combo is air medium, airdash forward after the last hit lands, then air medium again. If you can get the timing right, you can land and hit them with a quick normal like 2A, 5B, or 2B.
Alright, thanks for clarifying, and mostly, thanks so much for highlighting what I was doing wrong! I had no idea that was how Pom's j.B worked, and now that I'm no longer cancelling it, I can pull off basic combos. I can only imagine how crazy and fun this is going to get when I start mixing in serious amounts of Dog.

You're a gem!

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Weird, when the pups get hit, some of them lose all their color. I just really want to hug Big Papa though...collies are so cute and fluffy.

Geneva Mode

Mar 5, 2018
Uh, how does one use Pom's Bark? I don't get which button to press to achieve "hold"
Just hold left. To get a sense of the timing you can turn on the input display (under training options) to 'stick'. When you hold :[4]: and the orange trail disappears completely, then you can press :6:+:C: to achieve the bark.

Weird, when the pups get hit, some of them lose all their color. I just really want to hug Big Papa though...collies are so cute and fluffy.
I once had a real collie and she was the laziest dog of all time. Absolutely friendly as anything though. Rest in peace, Jessie.