Pokemon

ShadowLightMew

Shiny Pokémon hunter and trainer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
If we are to believe it, we will get info this month or in April about the confirmed Pokémon Switch game. Last E3, they mentioned it was already in the works

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I accidentally picked Tepig while browsing this site, I hope that wasn't the time I'd have gotten the shiny Snivy. :(

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hard to say, i bred shiny starters myself during post games so i don't know the shiny odds for starting out shinies

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Hard to say, i bred shiny starters myself during post games so i don't know the shiny odds for starting out shinies
I've seen videos so I know it's possible but it takes alot so soft restarts, mind you the odds are probably about the same as breeding because the only shiny I've gotten through breeding was a shiny Rotom in Pokemon Y.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Never said it's not possible, SR chains take a lot longer than breeding. At least they always did for me. One can only keep trying

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I'm guessing catching in the wild is the easiest way to get a shiny, because I think I've caught 3 in the wild in my time. I've defiantly had 4 shiny's.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
They did make it easier, Poké Radar to SOS battles, it is more doable. Shiny breeding became easier too thanks to the Masuda method and the Shiny Charm helps too.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Of course they did, gen 5 had shiny hunting methods and the Masuda method too

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Masuda method can still be done if you haven't transfered away all Pokémon. If you did then it gets trickier since you need to check your other games for a different language Pokémon or do a local trade for one. I have been playing since Red and Blue but it wasn't until Ruby & Sapphire that i could keep shinies since the GB games had batteries that died. Shiny hunting has greatly improved since gen 3

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Been playing pokemon sience diamond, yet to find a single shiny :(
Don't worry I'm sure you'll catch one one day. :)

I've only been playing since XY although I did get a Gameboy and a copy of Crystal a few months prior which started me on getting the other generations of Pokemon after the battery died.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
The old games are on the 3DS, if you want to play them. They can interact with Pokémon Bank which is nice and helpful. @BypenThynDragon, Heartgold & Soulsilver have one set shiny you can get. If you have Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon then i recommend trying the SOS battles. Stock up on Adrenaline Orbs and put a Pokémon with the move False Swipe or another move with the same effect in the lead. I got shiny Yungoos by chaining SOS battles on the first route.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The old games are on the 3DS, if you want to play them. They can interact with Pokémon Bank which is nice and helpful. @BypenThynDragon, Heartgold & Soulsilver have one set shiny you can get. If you have Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon then i recommend trying the SOS battles. Stock up on Adrenaline Orbs and put a Pokémon with the move False Swipe or another move with the same effect in the lead. I got shiny Yungoos by chaining SOS battles on the first route.
I mean I have shinies, but all event ones so they don’t count

Mari

pbbbbtbtbbtbt
Mar 5, 2018
I'm guessing catching in the wild is the easiest way to get a shiny, because I think I've caught 3 in the wild in my time. I've defiantly had 4 shiny's.
it’s definitely faster to find them in the wild in any game where you have PokéRadar (DPPt, XY), DexNav (ORAS) or SOS chaining (SM/USUM). i have a full box of shinies +2, most of them were caught in the wild.

Photo Mar 13, 2 39 43 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 13, 2 39 53 PM.jpg

the only ones that were bred were:
  • Liepard (XY)
  • Ampharos (ORAS)
  • Furfrou (ORAS)
  • Florges (ORAS)
  • Typhlosion (DPPt)
the ones i didn't catch myself are the original Ninetales (gift from an ex after i caught her a shiny Zorua) and the Lilligant (traded for an extra male Buneary i had), but both were traded for ones i found in the wild so i still count them.

i would only recommend breeding if it’s a pokemon you can’t catch in the wild, can summon allies of different species (in SOS chains), or you’re doing competitive. if you want to do that, i recommend the magikarp method/"swap breeding". basically you hatch a pokemon with a low hatch time (like magikarp) to figure out how many eggs you have until your next shiny, then you can do some math to calculate how to land on a seed that produces the specific traits you want (gender/iv spread/nature + shininess) in the actual pokemon you want to breed for a shiny. it is really complicated though, and i've been too lazy to try it out myself personally.

there’s also a really handy trick to SOS training if you're just looking to find shinies and don't care about anything else, though this sort of requires access to the ORAS move tutors:

grab an Exeggcute/Exeggcutor/Phantump/Trevanent with the ability Harvest from XY/ORAS (if in XY, transfer them over to ORAS). teach it Skill Swap (and Trick, if using Phantump/Trevanent) from the ORAS move tutors at the battle resort. i would also recommend using Blissey Bases to level them up to 100 here before transferring them up to SM/USUM. in the end, you should have a setup that looks like:

Exeggcute/Exeggcutor @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Harvest
- Skill Swap
- Bestow
- your choice
- your choice

AND/OR

Phantump/Trevanent @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Harvest
- Skill Swap
- Trick (can give leppa berries to mons already holding items)
- your choice
- your choice

you can really stop reading here. once you have one of these guys set up, you can just start SOS chaining by Skill Swapping Harvest onto the wild mon, bestowing/tricking leppa berry onto it, and then switching out. there are some limitations, namely i don't think Bestow works on ghost-types (Trick should though, i think, so it looks like Trevanent is ultimately the better choice) and this doesn't prevent idiots who use recoil moves from killing themselves. it just prevents the ones who don't use recoil moves from doing so by forcing them to gorge themselves on leppa berries so they won't end up Struggling.

if you really want ezpz autochaining, though, you'll then want to set up a pokemon that can learn both Role Play and False Swipe. you have three options: Mew, Bisharp and Smeargle. send it out after Exeggcutor/Trevanent; Role Play will give you Harvest to make you constantly recycle leppa berries, which will in turn give you infinite False Swipes. just spam False Swipe on the original wild mon and use another move to knock out any allies it calls that aren't shiny. this way you won't have to waste time opening up your inventory and going through the menus to feed your pokemon manually.

i'd suggest using one slot on your Mew/Smeargle for an HP regeneration move like Aqua Ring or having a Baton Passer with it. Feint Attack is also good for an attacking move because it bypasses accuracy check and no type is immune to it. tl;dr:

Mew/Smeargle/Bisharp @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Any (the effect for Synchronizer on Mew will still work after Role Play though, i think)
- Role Play
- False Swipe
- your choice (recommended: Aqua Ring for Mew/Smeargle)
- your choice (recommended: Feint Attack)

if you have an Aqua Ring Baton Passer or just don't mind manually healing your pokemon i like spamming Double Team so wild mons can barely hit me.

if you're trying to get a wild mon with a specific gender (like Salandit) you don't really have any Cute Charm RP+FS options unfortunately. i use CC Clefable with RP and a stat boosting move.

don't forget that horde encounters in XYORAS are good for shiny hunting too. also, wormholes in USUM have a higher chance of a guaranteed shiny encounter for standard mons once you've reached a certain point, but unfortunately the selection of standard encounters is limited. once you enter a wormhole with a standard pokemon though, the shininess is locked but nature/IVs/gender is not, so you can soft reset for those. just remember to save before approaching it.

the only tip for soft resetting for shiny legendaries is to develop an intense hatred for yourself.

ETA that i only don't like breeding because there's no auto route for hatching in SM/USUM. it's more bearable in XY/ORAS because you can stick a dime under your control stick and bike around in a circle in the middle of lumiose city or around the battle resort and only have to pay any attention when an egg is hatching.

Last edited:

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
@BypenThynDragon, They count and so does shiny Gyarados from HG & SS. Some can only be obtained through events so they definitely count since they are legit shinies. @Mari, Great shiny box you got there. I have SR chained legends so i get what you are saying but Shiny Charm did make life easier when available.

Reactions: Mari

Mari

pbbbbtbtbbtbt
Mar 5, 2018
@BypenThynDragon, They count and so does shiny Gyarados from HG & SS. Some can only be obtained through events so they definitely count since they are legit shinies. @Mari, Great shiny box you got there. I have SR chained legends so i get what you are saying but Shiny Charm did make life easier when available.
thanks lol, i love my babies. and yea, shiny charm is a godsend, especially now that in gen7 you only have to complete the regional dex to get it. probably the only one in my box who wasn't the result of shiny charm odds is the typhlosion but i think she was the result of masuda method breeding. wouldn't remember for sure though because i was probably like, anywhere between 10 and 12 years old.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
@Mari, nice and yeah small national dex helps. I should have used more Everstones for my shiny gens but Pokémon are soooo easy to get now. I wonder though how they will handle it with the Switch since Pokémon Bank and it's transfer services are on the 3DS systems. I have way too many beloved Pokémon to abandon at this point. Especially my Mew army

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I've given up trying to get a shiny for my starter, I know theres some who'll say I should have tried longer but after a week of soft reseting my 3DS to try and get a shiny Snivy I couldn't do it any more I'll try breeding once I find the Pokemon breeder although I'm still on route 3 leading to Nacrene city so I still have quite a way to go. Where is the breeder in Black/White?

I do hope we can transfer over Pokemon from the 3DS to the Switch game when it comes out, I'll defiantly want to transfer my Gardevoir over from Alpha Saphire and my Primarina from Moon as well of course my shiny's from Y. :)

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Route 3 is where you can breed but it isn't until you cover Nimbasa City, that you can leave 2 to breed. Obviously transfers will be possible, there has always been a backwards compatibility since gen 3. It's the how that we need to know

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Yeah, i mean it must involve Pokémon Bank in some way, are we getting a more advanced version of Pokémon Bank for Switch that connects with the 3DS version or will it be built into Pokémon Switch? At least it won't be anything like the very first transfer methods but i am curious about how far ahead they planned Pokémon Bank which was until now 3DS family exclusive

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I kind of hope it doesn't involve Pokemon Bank or at least it allows me to log in with my Switch and 3DS accounts at the same time, for some reason I couldn't log into my 3DS account on my Switch when I got it so hopefully they'll fix that. Either that or I'll have to do the same thing people used to do when switching Pokemon over from the

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I'm sure they will make it work, just so curious, especially about the game. It's a main game but they have yet to give us a teaser

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
My guess is we won't hear anything until E3. Although a thing I've been wondering for a while now is how likely is it we'll get a Diamond and Pearl remake before we get the 8th generation?

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Pls I love 4th gen, it was my first and favorit, I hope they keep the minning thing, it was stupid but fun with surounding your friends in traps when they leave for a minute :D

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I hope against a remake. I understand remaking the Gameboy games since they had batteries that died. Gen 4 even though offline is still playable + if they remake every gen then we might as well quit buying every new gen cause in a number of years they get remade. What we need is a remaster, make gen 4 3DS or Switch compatible. Return the Wi-Fi fun and update/upgrade where needed without going 3D etc. Replaying and reliving them is fun enough. I mean i enjoy the re-releases of the Pokémon games since they can't die and they link with the other games thanks to Pokémon Bank

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I just looked at the remakes and it seems to be the time between each remake and the original game gets longer. Like Red and Green/Blue was released in 1996 then Fire Red and Leaf Green were released in 2004, then Gold and Silver was released in 1999 with Heart Gold and Soul Silver coming out in 2009 and then Ruby and Sapphire came out in 2002 with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire coming out in 2014. So following the pattern it seems likely that the Diamond and Pearl will come out in 2020 given that it came out in 2006 and it might be put off for 14 years after the original release.

Also I disagree that remakes can only be done with the Gameboy games partly because we don't know what they're planning with the 8th generation, they could go full 3D for all we know but either way the hardware is much more powerful than the previous systems and I don't think battery back up is a good enough reason not to do it.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Not anti 3D or anything, i own and played all remakes. I'm just not waiting for more remakes since i rather have new adventures. Also the games have been in real 3D for years. Gen 8 has to do more than just being full 3D. Each gen had something unique, something exclusive and special. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are the best remakes in my opinion, they felt like new games but i want to see new regions. I hope they cover Italy

Last edited:

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
What I was meaning when I said full 3D I was meaning like Breath of the Wild being fully open world sort of 3D, but there is many reasons why people would want to play a remake it may be where they first got into Pokemon so they'd want to play it with the new mechanics. I know if they did a Chrystal remake I'd buy it even though I know they never will since it was the sequel to Gold and Silver.

Although I didn't like Alpha Sapphire, I didn't like that they took out the customizable trainer the news thing at the bottom of the screen felt tacked on and more like a tutorial that was constantly there and the end game story wasn't very good and I found Zinna annoying. So I give Alpha Sapphire 7.8/10 too much water. :)

Last edited:

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
The open world thing should be done with Orre, that region needs a comeback. I want to see more development there like new cities and new green places made for wild Pokémon. I also still hope that Pokétopia will become explorable like they originally wanted to do. But i honestly welcome any Pokémon game since i love all Pokémon games, Detective Pikachu has me hooked on the story so i have extended my patience for the Switch game but i still hope on a teaser soon.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Just wondering, but has anyone here been able to capture a Tapu Fini? I attempted to and ran out of Pokeballs, then hit the power button out of frustration, due to the fact it seems to never run out of Aqua Ring to continuously refill it's HP.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Lucky....

Anyways, apparently Nintendo didn't want to wait 13 days, so they brought out the new game early. Kinda hoping you can keep stuff like Blast Burn and Frenzy Plant...or Mega Evolution:

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Let's Go Eevee looks like the cutest stuff tho

Super glad it's not Gen 8. Glad they're taking their time on that one. Crazy how it took this long to get a Yellow rehash, ay?

VendiMANS

Argentine fgs player
Feb 5, 2018
Buenos Aires
I'd prefer eevee as pokemon's new mascot over pikachu any day so I like seeing it as a starter again, but I always found pokemon go's wild "battles" lame, just throw a pokeball. Boring

Reactions: Salty Beef

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Gen 8 is confirmed for the second half 2019 yesterday. As for post game stuff like Mega Evolution, Z-moves, transfer possibilities etc, it is all still unknown. Getting both and i knew it wasn't going to be a gen 4 remake. A Yellow remake/reboot/retelling is just more fitting since gen 1 is old and nostalgic. As long as Pokémon GO is purely optional which so far is the case, i'm happy with it. Sure no wild battles but i'm sure they will give us something else. Also riding several Pokémon like Onix etc, having them follow you again is great :)

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Haven't heard of it, no. There's also this apparently odd-looking mystery dungeon game, though it seems to be low on the attack graphics side. Hopefully it has some sort of plot.