Pokemon

ShadowLightMew

Shiny Pokémon hunter and trainer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
No story spoilers! We don't have the game yet! And that of the legends and beasts i already knew since Serebii does daily coverage so they told the world in the last days that they are shiny locked. Still don't believe the school thing since i still have to play myself. I hope on early release tomorrow. No offense but with past games, people would tell stuff about the game's story that wasn't true.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Went with Popplio myself. Its final form is alright. I'd have gone with Rowlet, for balance (Both ATK and S.ATK are pretty even), except near as I can tell it doesn't learn much in the way of special attacks I think.

My Popplio is male....I'm going to be confused when it evolves into a Primarina eventually. That's a very feminine looking pokemon, so I'm going to default to thinking of the pokemon as female.

Oddly enough, according to Serebii, it's overwhelmingly a male species. I did manage to get at least one female to spawn, but after several restarts I settled on a neutral nature one that had decent IVs (31 DEF, low ATK which doesn't matter much as it's primarly a S.ATK pokemon, and moderately high to high remaining stats).

Super Training is gone, which sucks. I'm not big on traditional EV training, never bothered with it. There are other ways of boosting it, but Super Training was really straightforward and easy to do. I'll miss having that. I'll probably just not pay attention to EVs in this game.

Also, Pokemon Bank for Sun and Moon will be coming in January it seems. I might actually use it, to transfer my faves from Alpha Sapphire. Presuming they can transfer over anyway. Garchomp, Milotic, and Gardevoir are my three faves from AS.

TyphlUpgrade

When the Eleven-Day Empire eats the sky...
Crowdfund Backer
Super Training is gone, which sucks. I'm not big on traditional EV training, never bothered with it. There are other ways of boosting it, but Super Training was really straightforward and easy to do. I'll miss having that. I'll probably just not pay attention to EVs in this game.
Super Training? Gone? My bucket of flaming hype just got doused in disappointment. Oh well. At least when Pokébank comes back around I'll have my shiny Rayquaza.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Who needs Super Training with Poké Pelago?! EV training is now with new features.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Kadabra (and apparently others) are bugged. More accurately, the way moves are learned on evolving are bugged. If an evolution has a base move that it will learn on evolving and if there is a free slot available, the pokemon will learn that move. This is good except.....it overrides the skill they would otherwise learn at that level (if one exists). Basically, Kadabra won't learn Confusion at level 16, when it evolves from Abra. It won't learn another another offensive move (Psywave) until level 21. Meaning if you don't have a TM that it can learn that does damage, your Kadabra/Alakazam (and whichever other Pokemon affected by this issue) is useless until that point.

I finally got an Alakazam in a Pokemon game and....it's worthless. It only knows Teleport and Kinesis, and I don't have any offensive TMs this early in the game (Outside the cave for the first trial).

Who needs Super Training with Poké Pelago?! EV training is now with new features.
Quick rundown on that?

Is it less tedious than Super Training then?

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Serebii's explanation of Isle Evelup: Isle Evelup is an island that acts as passive training. On this island, you can put groups of 6 Pokémon into the island to play, and then give them specific drinks. These drinks will improve their stats. The Pokémon are put into the island for play sessions that last 30 minutes, and you can set how many play sessions the Pokémon go through. Depending on the level of the island, the Pokémon gets 1, 2 or 4 EVs respectively every play session, so at Level 3, 4 every 30 minutes meaning to get 252 you'd need to have 63 sessions lasting 31 and a half hours. Poké Beans will speed this up so that the play sessions only last 15 minutes per session. So tideous can go in the trash here. Poké Pelago is awesome.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Serebii's explanation of Isle Evelup: Isle Evelup is an island that acts as passive training. On this island, you can put groups of 6 Pokémon into the island to play, and then give them specific drinks. These drinks will improve their stats. The Pokémon are put into the island for play sessions that last 30 minutes, and you can set how many play sessions the Pokémon go through. Depending on the level of the island, the Pokémon gets 1, 2 or 4 EVs respectively every play session, so at Level 3, 4 every 30 minutes meaning to get 252 you'd need to have 63 sessions lasting 31 and a half hours. Poké Beans will speed this up so that the play sessions only last 15 minutes per session. So tideous can go in the trash here. Poké Pelago is awesome.
Still time consuming, but I suppose if you have everything needed on-hand, you could passively raise the level of the pokemon.

Can you set it and turn off the game for all those hours, or do you have to actually be playing the game? Would make a HUGE difference. If you didn't have to monitor it, you could set it in the afternoon and come back next morning.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
No monitoring needed and it's not that time consuming, you can play the story and check on them when you played a while.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
No monitoring needed and it's not that time consuming, you can play the story and check on them when you played a while.
So, it only runs when you're in-game?

For normal people, I would think 16 real world hours playing the game WOULD be a lot. Especially if you won't even get access to that area until later on in the game.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Of course it works when you are not playing, you can just also do it while playing and players spend more hours on these games than you think.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Of course it works when you are not playing, you can just also do it while playing and players spend more hours on these games than you think.
Well, that's different then. I know there are die-hard players who spend hours just trying to catch misc. Pokemon that have the right nature and IVs. Me? I'm somewhere between casual and intermediate. I give some effort to nature and IVs on certain Pokemon, but I usually end up settling for those that just "Don't suck". I MIGHT try horde hunting for shinies at some point in the game, since they make it so much easier with Sun and Moon. I also tend to overtrain, even incidentally (in going for a Kadabra, which I trade-evolved into Alakazam, and also trying to evolve my Pichu, most of my team is in the late teens for levels and I only just got around to doing the first challenge...I breezed through it effortlessly, as one might expect).

I think, since shinies were introduced, I've only encountered a few that weren't shiny locked, and I think one of them was a Zigzagoon, to my eternal disappointment, and I don't think I even managed to catch it for that matter ~_~

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
What about die hard fans like me who already have good IV and EV trained Pokémon who just spend hours in the game because they enjoy it? Heck there are also fans who play for hours without caring for IV's and EV's. I honestly don't care for right natures etc, as long as i get my favorites and shinies :) Enjoying the games is what matters and at the end of the day we all spend hours in the games spread over free time you have every day.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
I like the Tauros, but I am bummed no one is selling bikes. At least on the two islands I've been on. Oddly enough, there's no new Mega Evolutions that I could find on serebii. (Also, apparently Necrozma may have something to do with despond, but it's a working theory at best).

Last edited:

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
There are no new mega evolutions, they said relive mega evolution in one of the trailers. This is gen 7, Z-moves and the new features get all the attention.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Tch...well, hopefully I'll get a Mega Camelrupt. In any case, a few things, one is the fact that whoever made the Grass Trial is evil, I almost got beaten badly by Hau due to the fact I couldn't find a PC Box on that man-made island (as I was prepped for a Rock-type battle and didn't know beforehand), and apparently Pikachu now has a love rival (since I'm not sure if he still remembers Buneary).

Metafogos

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 21, 2016
Sorry for disappear, people. I REALLY HATE this forum protection, who needs confirmation at each 30 days...

Playing now Pokemon Moon! The Sun are waiting his turn :D

Quid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
How's everyone's playthroughs going? I just completed the water trial today : )

I know, I'm going super slow - just been so busy lately! Though it didn't help that over the last week or so I've been breeding and wonder trading 90+ Rockruffs for Christmas. And then got distracted doing a series of One Red Paperclip/Straw Millionaire style trades. A lot of trades. I now have the moon-exclusive ultra beasts and Lunala (I'm playing Sun). Good for my Pokedex but a perhaps a little bit early.

My team right now is:

Strix the Dartrix
Alexis the Pikachu
Liulfr the Rockruff
Tino the Wishiwashi
Asin the Mudbray
Holly the shiny Salandit (from wondertrade; most likely hacked but eh she's a good memento of the Lost Week of Christmas Wondertrading and I really like her)

Anyone else do the Christmas wondertrade thing? What did you send? I chose Rockruff as I figured a lot of kids might want one when they see the professor's in-game, but if it's the first time playing Pokemon they might not think to look up where to catch one until after they've left the first island.

And if you've finished, what did you think of the game? (please be light on spoilers!)

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Anyone else do the Christmas wondertrade thing? What did you send? I chose Rockruff as I figured a lot of kids might want one when they see the professor's in-game, but if it's the first time playing Pokemon they might not think to look up where to catch one until after they've left the first island.

And if you've finished, what did you think of the game? (please be light on spoilers!)
I sent a box of Deliberds holding rare berries, and a box of mostly failed GTS bait (Castform, Mimikyu, Feebas, Mareanie) that I didn't really need. I got a lot of the usual garbage but a couple of hilarious things, the funniest of which being a Modest Kartana with perfect IVs in SpAtk, SpDef, and HP. It made my day, honestly. That guy couldn't wait to throw that into the ether, it seems.

I finished the game long ago, though I keep procrastinating on polishing off the Alola Dex. I need one of my friends to come online and evolve my Cosmeom into a Solgaleo for me, and then do a few trade evolutions, and the Shiny Charm is mine. Then I guess polish off the rest of the Champion Challengers & capture the rest of the Island Scan pokes while I want for the Bank update. The game itself was a load of fun, had an enjoyable story with some lovable characters, and I can't wait to see if they patch in anything further once the Nat Dex drops. I've been in love with most of the new Pokemon ever since they were leaked, and then actually playing the game made me love them even more.

Now one day I'll start up my Sun game and do it ALL OVER AGAIN~ I mean once I pull myself away from Shuffle and the Mew escalation...

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
(claps hands slowly) Good for you. In any case, the desert area remains the most annoying area so far due to the constant encounters and the fact the rock piles are so far apart in each area. However, I finally got around to doing stuff on Poke Pelgo (though even at stage 3, I'm not getting enough beans for a proper harvest. And apparently Mimickkyu could completely kill any dark/fighting-type, but was stumped in beating up my Toucannon. I want it so bad....

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Okay...finally reached the peak after clearing all seven trials, but I'm stumped on Hau's Raichu. Does anyone have a idea of how to beat it, given his Psychic and Electric moves are super maxed out even on Dark-types? I mean, it's a tad annoying that I'm limited to Lv 80 traded Pokémon after beating all 4 Kahunas seeing I had acquired most of the Event Pokémon last year.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I grew up with Pokemon Emerald. Absol was/is my favourite. When I got Pokemon Leaf Green I fulfilled my dreams of owning a Haunter. Good stuff. I prefer the map of pokemon emerald to pokemon leaf green. Emerald flows a lot nicer.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I grew up with Pokemon Emerald. Absol was/is my favourite. When I got Pokemon Leaf Green I fulfilled my dreams of owning a Haunter. Good stuff. I prefer the map of pokemon emerald to pokemon leaf green. Emerald flows a lot nicer.
4/10 too much water, my favoret was 4th gen, it was my first and favoret pokemon game

Reactions: Tox

Naggie

Rara Mouse
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
The place with stuff
Man I love me some pokemon. I actually started WAY back on pokemon blue when I was in 5th grade or something. I remember my friend down the street telling me about jigglypuff and it blew my mind. I also remember reading about the craze in a beanie baby magazine (good lord when was the last time you heard about those). My favorite gen has always been 2 but my flat out favorite pokemon is Scolipede. And during gen 6 I actually completed the pokedex. That was the first time I've done that since gen 1. I actually also run several PTU games, if anyone knows that.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
So besides the Fest being a bust due to the servers being down from overload, does anyone have anything to discuss regarding the legendaries during the new raids? I mean, if Mewtwo is among them, I'd be interested.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So besides the Fest being a bust due to the servers being down from overload, does anyone have anything to discuss regarding the legendaries during the new raids? I mean, if Mewtwo is among them, I'd be interested.
They're incredibly hard to get, literally impossible for most players. I can already tell I will never, ever get one. Only Lugia and Articuno are available right now, and to make it worse, Articuno is confirmed to only be a limited-time thing. Pretty much par for the course with this game at this point. Just when you thought Regionals were the worst thing they could have pulled. Whatever happened to "Gotta Catch 'Em All"?

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Friend of mine was able to get Articuno. I don't play GO though, so I didn't know about the event until it was nearly over.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Friend of mine was able to get Articuno. I don't play GO though, so I didn't know about the event until it was nearly over.
They extended the "DOUBLE EVERYTHING YO" event by a few more days. Articuno is available through the 31st, then they're releasing the other two birds for a week each. I don't see why they can't just be permanent.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Collected the Kanto/Johto hat Pikachu and Hoenn hat Pikachu so far. Which did you all choose?

Korencz11

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
korencz11.deviantart.com
:aricool: I figured I would revive this thread today since US/UM was released. I managed to earn and blow the money for Ultra Sun just today, and am currently setting up my team to run through the game with.

Starting with Gen 6, I've named every single protagonist after a pony, and then used a single type of Pokemon for said character. X = Bookworm Hoers, Psychic | Y = Background Orange (Best girl), Ground | ΩR = Party Hoers, Fighting | αS = Timid Ferovore Hoers, Grass | Since Sun and Moon were Sunbottom Tyrant (Fire) and Luna (dark), (obviously) US/UM will be Day Breaker and Nightmare Moon (provided that second one fits) with a completely different team of Fire/Dark pokemon.

Anybody else get it?

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I nabbed Ultra Moon, still going through the motions right now, since I was only able to play it on my breaks, and then came home to Splatfest night. Gonna chew through the trainer school with my owl and rockpuppy tomorrow.

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Been playing since yesterday too since we didn't get one day early sadly

Korencz11

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
korencz11.deviantart.com
Made ot through trial 1 so far, it's a little strange to playthrough what is basically the same game at times, then suddenly these two new guys start throwing a wrench in things.

Day Breaker's team so far:
Cerberus (Houndour) L17
Balrog (Pignite) L17
Ifrit (Magby) L15
Venus (Litleo F) L16
Mozilla (Braxien) L16
Azazel (Quilava) L17

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hope we are getting a teaser soon or even trailer 1 for the first Switch Pokémon game. Also looking forward to finally playing Detective Pikachu

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I hope we get some news on a Pokemon Game on the Switch soon although I hope to get a Shiny Snivy before then, I restarted Pokemon White hoping to do the game with a Shiny team and I've had to soft restart the game so many times I think I'm starting to go a bit peculiar... Does anyone else think Bianca is kinda hot?