Pokemon

StopShot

But can you poni-poni-poni?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
An Alternate Timeline
This thread is for the main series pokemon games in general. What is your pokemon team and is it meant to be competitive or personalized? You can put both if you happen to have separate teams.

Discord Sparkle

Witch of Doom
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hope's Peak Academy
I haven't played Pokemon in a while but the team I remember the most right now is my Black 2 team which was Serperior (Scootaloo), Ampharos (AppleBloom), Excadrill (SweetieBel) and Zoroark(Couldn't be nicknamed 'cause it was N's). It was definitely more personalized, I don't do competitive.... Though now that I think about it my X team was Greninja(Egbert), Charizard(Lalonde), Aegislash(Strider), and Meowstic(Harley).

Also, what do you guys think of the Detective Pikachu game? I hope it gets a western release.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Oh jeez, I haven't run a competitive Pokemon team since... gen 4? I was running some ridiculous swift swim team since that was the hotness back then. If I recall what was on it I'll post it, but for now all I know is I had an Electrode lead since I could just rain dance and then self destruct, and there was a Ludicolo in there.

Is competitive still like, a relevant thing to play? I know we've switched around from a bunch of different battle sims so I don't know what people use these days.

Met

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Yeah, Gen 4 was the last time I was properly in. Can't even remember what I would generally use as I had a fair few teams.

I've a few friends who still play it, but I think they stick with VGC rules on Showdown.

StopShot

But can you poni-poni-poni?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
An Alternate Timeline
I don't play competitively either, but my friends do which is why I thought to include it. I'd play a personalized pokemon team with all my favorites. Quilava and Vibrava, because they rhymed. Sneasel and Buizel also because they rhymed. Then Snivy, because Snivy was cool, and Galvantula because I wanted to round out the types and I really liked his design and typing. When I was much younger I'd ship Quilava and Vibrava for no other reason and it would be the cutest ship to me. (Kind of odd, because I'd never ship anything else.)

Sir Linkselot

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I personally never played pokemon competitively. i mostly played it for fun like most games. i have however recently started doing a Nuzlocke of pokemon leaf green and been streaming it for some friends. iiiit hasn't really been going so well lately. i was unable to keep more than 3 pokemon for more than 10 minutes and currently only have my starter (which is a Flareon because i am using a randomizer to randomize the pokemon encounters and also the moves they have) I left off at Vermilion city with my Flareon who is named wild Fire at level 30. if i somehow manage to beat the gym he will possibly be at level 35 since i still have to do the Ship section and i will likely never see another member on my team again. Lesson of the day do not randomize pokemon moves. having fire blast as your only attack and later on psychic will not help you much in catching pokemon in the first few areas.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I don't play competitively either, but I do play the games on and off.

What I'd really like is for consoles to have a main-series like Pokemon game (a-la X/Y, Blue, Yellow, Silver, etc.) but obviously with fancier graphics (more like Pokemon Stadium). Kinda surprised they haven't made a proper attempt at this yet.

Lord Gyron

The Lordliest of All Gyrons
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I've had a range, from competitive w/ friends and Pokemon Showdown to the casual to the Nuzlockes (oh god why....)

I'll just add some of my favorite Pokemon anyways~

1. Torterra
  2. Frosslass
  3. Gardevoir
  4. Banette (and Mega)
  5. Breloom
  6. Kangaskhan
  7. Octillary
  8. Chimecho
  9. Swalot
  10. Floatzel

silverreverb

→→+z
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
even though I've played at least one game from every generation, I never had a favorite pokemon until chandelure. right now there's 3 pokemon that will be on every team I make from now on: chandelure, volcarona and aegislash

uraniumUmbreon

5% of australians have an addiction to headwear
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
obviously my favourite pokemon is espeon
there is nothing to suggest otherwise and i do not know why you would ever get any such impression

in general stall teams have always been some of my favourites to do in comp or casually though
mainly because in person you get to watch them flip out as your porygon-2 or trevenant heals all its hp for the umpteenth time

TheTrainingDummy

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
California
I actually did play competitively for a bit. Never really got anywhere, but I participated in a few of the official regionals. Also used played a bit on showdown, but not for long.

I kind of just messed around but my last team doubles team consisted up of

Mega Blastoise:
Had 4 egg moves consisting of Water Spout, Fake Out, Dragon Pulse and Aura Sphere.
The breeding was real for that one.. . Also was the core damage of the team.

Aerodactyl:
Support with Tailwind and Wide Guard. Along with Protect and Rock Slide.

Rotom-H:
to cover what Blastoise can't

Gourgiest:
Generic stally tank lots of stall and healing.

Goodra:
Another tank, but with high special attack.

Scrafty:
Had quick guard for the priority moves. Otherwise slightly tanky damage sustain through drain punch.

I also used the Terracott strategy against my friends for fun, but otherwise I kind of just like Typlosion because Crystal was the first game I played when I was little. The starter gives me nostalgia when ever I use/see it.

I haven't touched my game or followed the meta in months, so I'm not sure what it is like now.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Gen 4 was the last time I tried to make a competitive team, though I only ever played with friends. My most used team was Kingdra, Electivire, Bronzong, Snorlax, Kangaskhan, and Weezing. Near the end of the generation, we held a small round robin tourney wherein we registered 5 pokemon and picked 3 for each battle. I was enamored with Rain at that point, so I went with Bronzong, Starmie, Kingdra, Electivire, Kabutops. Managed to take 1st.

Quid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh man, I love Pokemon games, but have never bothered to play competitively. None of my friends do either, so we don't have to worry about one team thoroughly trouncing the other if we battle : )

I generally have a new team per game, often with pokes I haven't used before. One team I'm particularly fond of is my HG team:

Feraligatr (Trace)
Golem (Auric)
Ampharos (Merino)
Togekiss (Tyro)
Dragonite (Iris)
Kangaskhan (Procopto)

Thanks to the Pokewalker I had the entire team by Azelea Town, so they're easier to recall than larger teams from other games.

I'm curious to know what people think of shiny Pokemon - do you like them? Dislike them? Try to hunt them down?

Personally I don't go looking for them, but if I do come across one it's a nice surprise. I've only got a couple of shinies caught 'in the wild', so to speak (I've got a couple from wifi events as well), and they each came with a nice story.

Auric - the Golem mentioned above - was the second Pokemon I caught in HG, and my 'first' shiny (that I knew about, at least). I was super excited to play HG as the original version was before my time, so to speak, and finding Auric made a very good first impression : ) HG is still one of my favourites.

Setaria - When ORAS were announced, I got nostalgic and pulled out the very first Pokemon game I had ever owned - Sapphire on the GBA. Popping it into my DS and going through my old team was... interesting, to say the least. Man, kid me had no idea what they were doing. My final team had a Swampert in the mid-eighties and a Linoone in the mid-thirties. The PC was just as enlightening. I had a box filled with baby Skitty from when I had first heard about egg moves, and wanted to experiment. Problem is, the TMs I put on the parents were not actually egg moves for Skitty if I recall correctly... so that was a flop. I sure had skills as a kid. Except... was one of those Skitty's orange? I hatched a shiny over ten years ago and didn't even notice??
Putting Sapphire back in my old GBA provided an answer - it turns out that on the non-backlit screen the normal and shiny colours were so similar that it was very difficult to see the difference between the two. And kid me wouldn't have thought to look for a star on the status screen or w/e. Still, this travesty couldn't stand; I'd been calling Auric my first shiny for years. I transferred the newly-renamed Setaria through three generations of games, and when Alpha Sapphire came out she was my 'unofficial' starter.

Anyone else have some good shiny stories?

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I've been a fan of Pokemon since the original games, not counting a short break during gen 3 after the anime and card game lost my interest. In fact Pokemon Yellow was the reason I got a Gameboy in the first place.

Since HG/SS I tend to nickname my party to a theme, using favorites and mostly ones that I haven't used before. I currently only have Omega Ruby because I sold the others after transferring all my pokemon.
My favorite themed team was named after the seven sins and virtues:
Pride, Serperior
Industria, Excadrill
Ira, Volcarona
Temperentia, Mienshao
Avaritia, Lilligant (Because of her drain attacks)
Patientia, Carracosta (Because he had the most potential setup with Shell Smash)
Caritas, Audino (Yes there are seven because I ditched Audino eventually

I made a competitive team based on having my speed boost Ninjask survive at least two rounds with protect and a focus sash, and then baton pass to Mega Mawile to sweep up. It was alright, never really ended up using it much. Certainly not anywhere official.

Finally as for shiny Pokemon, I don't really seek them out, but they're cool to find. I always catch them when they show up. Of course the only shinies I've actually found are Seaking and Raticate, who are some of the least interesting by color difference and I'm not really fond of either Pokemon.

Last edited:

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
I play competitively every now and again. I usually just go with a few min-maxed favourites with fun move sets. Only win maybe 40% of the games I play though.

Feels good taking down an M-Lucario in one blow using an M-Absol with Me-First.

TheTrainingDummy

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
California
Soul Silver
Farfetch'd
Pink
Safari Zone
I think you guys can figure out what happened.

Otherwise, I think shines are pretty cool. It was always fun hearing the blantanly obvious rumors revolving around them as a little kid. I did catch a few normally. Although I attempted chain fishing once successfully in the new games. I don't exactly remember what I caught, but it was always exciting getting them.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Oh yes, just in case anyone isn't aware, Nintendo is having an event for a mythical Pokemon every month this year, starting February. So you haven't missed any if you didn't know. Mew is the first and is available right now via codes on cards at Gamestop.
In June they'll be giving away a Manaphy, making it the first time you can get one legitimately outside of owning Pokemon Ranger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stars

Nameless_One

Altruistic Seeker Goat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My team tends to differ for each game. But I usually have at least 2 of my 6 being my starter, and a highly trained Gardevoir. If she went first, she usually hit really hard. I even used her, and her alone, to defeat the Champion's Mega Gardevoir in Pokemon X.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I even used her, and her alone, to defeat the Champion's Mega Gardevoir in Pokemon X.
I almost defeated her entire team with one pokemon. That Mega Gardevoir managed to knock my lead pokemon out, so it took two of mine to win. The water-type using member of the elite 4 was way harder because I didn't really have a pokemon with type advantages against many of his. Only one who was a challenge going in blind really.

Funny story, I had my phone playing music on shuffle for the elite 4 and while I was fighting the champion this song started playing. It really pumped me up.

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
Oh man, I love Pokemon games, but have never bothered to play competitively. None of my friends do either, so we don't have to worry about one team thoroughly trouncing the other if we battle : )

I generally have a new team per game, often with pokes I haven't used before. One team I'm particularly fond of is my HG team:

Feraligatr (Trace)
Golem (Auric)
Ampharos (Merino)
Togekiss (Tyro)
Dragonite (Iris)
Kangaskhan (Procopto)

Thanks to the Pokewalker I had the entire team by Azelea Town, so they're easier to recall than larger teams from other games.

I'm curious to know what people think of shiny Pokemon - do you like them? Dislike them? Try to hunt them down?

Personally I don't go looking for them, but if I do come across one it's a nice surprise. I've only got a couple of shinies caught 'in the wild', so to speak (I've got a couple from wifi events as well), and they each came with a nice story.

Auric - the Golem mentioned above - was the second Pokemon I caught in HG, and my 'first' shiny (that I knew about, at least). I was super excited to play HG as the original version was before my time, so to speak, and finding Auric made a very good first impression : ) HG is still one of my favourites.

Setaria - When ORAS were announced, I got nostalgic and pulled out the very first Pokemon game I had ever owned - Sapphire on the GBA. Popping it into my DS and going through my old team was... interesting, to say the least. Man, kid me had no idea what they were doing. My final team had a Swampert in the mid-eighties and a Linoone in the mid-thirties. The PC was just as enlightening. I had a box filled with baby Skitty from when I had first heard about egg moves, and wanted to experiment. Problem is, the TMs I put on the parents were not actually egg moves for Skitty if I recall correctly... so that was a flop. I sure had skills as a kid. Except... was one of those Skitty's orange? I hatched a shiny over ten years ago and didn't even notice??
Putting Sapphire back in my old GBA provided an answer - it turns out that on the non-backlit screen the normal and shiny colours were so similar that it was very difficult to see the difference between the two. And kid me wouldn't have thought to look for a star on the status screen or w/e. Still, this travesty couldn't stand; I'd been calling Auric my first shiny for years. I transferred the newly-renamed Setaria through three generations of games, and when Alpha Sapphire came out she was my 'unofficial' starter.

The first shiny I ever encountered that wasn't a scripted event was a shiny Muk as a rental in the Battle Factory in Emerald. :(

Discord Sparkle

Witch of Doom
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hope's Peak Academy
Friend Safaris and Chain Fishing in Gen 6 are relatively easier methods of finding one, if you ever wanted to find one. :>
Yeah, I know about stuff that can be used to increase the odds of finding one, but I want to find one without actively looking for it, 'cause then it'd just be a thing I happened to find and it'd mean more to me rather than feeling like a chore.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I've never encountered a shiny that wasn't the red Gyarados. As an alternative for other people like me: Have you ever attempted a Nuzlocke challenge?

My first Nuzlocke was in Emerald, and I loved it. Ended up with a team consisting of Crobat, Altaria, Solrock, Armaldo, Starmie, and Gyarados. Lost two of them to bad luck at the Pokemon League, but we came out on top in the end.

Only other Nuzlocke I've done so far was in HeartGold. Final team was Feraligatr, Togekiss, Nidoking, Arcanine, Espeon, and Magneton. I finished most of that game, but I didn't feel like grinding 20 more levels just to be a match for the second Elite Four.

M-Roku

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Friend Safaris and Chain Fishing in Gen 6 are relatively easier methods of finding one, if you ever wanted to find one. :>
I found ORAS's chaining method easier.
Yeah, I know about stuff that can be used to increase the odds of finding one, but I want to find one without actively looking for it, 'cause then it'd just be a thing I happened to find and it'd mean more to me rather than feeling like a chore.
I couldn't wait on encountering one by chance. After years of playing the games (My first game was Silver), I wanted to meet one already. Thankfully Shiny chaining in AS was pretty easy, and I managed to find a Shiny Magnemite in the middle of the night.

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Funny story about shiny's, I've been playing since mid 2014 never encountered a shiny and then a week or so ago I was hatching eggs and the last one was a shiny Rotom, and then when I was leveling it up I caught a shiny Flebebe (yellow) and then the next day I found a shiny Emolga. I'm not making that up that did happen.
Although usually when I play I try to keep my teams small usually I just have 3 with me one of which knows Surf and another that knows Fly, so in AS my team consists of Gardevoir, Latias and Lapras. Although a final note a Pokemon I'd like to get as a shiny would be Furfrou, I'd bet it looks really good with its different hair styles. :)

Dare

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
USA
Poke'mon thread? Poke'mon thread.

I've been a fan of the pixel monsters for eons, ever since the first games. I built competitive teams but barely used them, honestly - EV training sucked the soul out of me, haha. But I always made sure to include a Porygon somewhere, in some form. Porygon is da best.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I encountered a shiny once. It was Pokemon Emerald, and I was on my way to catch Rayquaza, when hark! A shiny Claydol arose from the RNG!

it used self-destruct

Reactions: DeathTheGordon

lunadash

Back to the Lab again
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Outside of Rein
First person to Reply to this post gets a free Shiny Poliwhirl

EDIT: I'm a Shiny hunter that has no problem giving away free shinys to anyone that wants them. If you make a list of shiny pokes you want I might help you get one or two :)

Last edited:

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Is it possible this is Mega Volcanion?
please look at volcanion again (no. it most definitely is not).

but regardless, the translations specifically say that Volcanion is fighting the new pokemon. It also says Volcanion is a good guy. Pokemon has patterns.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
No other Nuzlockes, then? Sadness. I was hoping to exchange stories. Tales of triumph and of loss.