Pokemon

ShadowLightMew

Shiny Pokémon hunter and trainer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
@Chris G, And here i thought i was the only one thinking of Sunbottom Tyrant and Luna/Nightmare Moon with Pokémon Sun & Moon. Very curious about the possible main legends.

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
The direct was pretty disappointing. We got a few bits of concept art, a bit of a model of some new bird, a late 2016 release and Chinese. Woo..

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I'm happy that they are confirmed so yeah still hyped and it's like many said, the leak wasn't supposed to happen.

Metafogos

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 21, 2016
About the transfer from the virtual Red/Blue/Yellow:

One of the major advantage to transfer is confere some of the 151 original ones with powers and TMs then only learn in the first generation. This can open new egg chains to certain moves.

And maybe something special for then if tranfered to the S&M games later.

Reactions: Stars

Quid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

An interesting observation about the logo
Huh. Good observation! That 'diamond' shape is probably a bit too generic for one to be sure it's a burst heart, but that would be an interesting way to take things if it's true. I'm not sure I like the idea of human/Pokemon fusions. It'd take the focus away from the Pokemon a bit, which I'm not too enthused about. On the other hand, Megaman's Battle Network pulled it off, so why not Pokemon?

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I hope CoroCoro does this month but i think it may be just the logos and the concept art but we will see. Maybe Nintendo is in a good mood along with Pokémon Company.

Quid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm considering trying to avoid all the Corocoro announcements this time round; all the new Kalos Pokemon had pretty much been announced by the time XY came out, leaving no surprises for the game. It'd be fun to go in 'blind', so to speak. But the sorts of places I go on the 'net will be full of the info, so it'd be difficult to pull off. (This thread would be off-limits, for example)

It's a fond memory of mine approaching Fortree City for the first time in Sapphire - my first game - as a kid. There were these flying tree dinosaurs living along a river, then an awesome tree house city, and then this fantastic scythe creature just after! All in a lush, mountainous area - kid me was in love. Fortree City's surrounds are still my favourite place in the Pokemon world, and Tropius and Absol have a special place in my heart. Would I have had so much fun discovering Hoenn if I had known all the Pokemon in advance? Who knows.

Do you guys prefer to play a new Pokemon game not knowing what's in store, or do you prefer to be well prepared? I know some prefer to be surprised, and consider any new Pokemon announcements as spoilers. But I also know a person or two that love finding out all the info over the months before release, and will revise their planned team with each new discovery.

Last edited:

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
@Quid, I myself only want to see new Pokémon with each new game so i know which i wanna catch and train first but mostly to see who will be my new favorites. Kudos to you to try and stay unspoiled if you decide to do so :)

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
@Quid I like to be surprised as much as possible, but I don't begrudge being shown some of the pokemon beforehand. Also, to be fair, I tend to play most games long after their initial release these days, so if I do see any spoilers, I've forgotten most of them by the time the game is in front of me.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I used to always buy a player's guide for every Pokemon game, even after I had stopped getting them for anything else. I always looked ahead to see what cool pokemon were coming up. I stopped doing that at Black so that I could be (partially) surprised, though I had already seen a lot for that game. I still barely know anything about X though, so the rest of that will still be fresh for me.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I don't generally look into it for the new games. Mind, I haven't rushed off to buy the new ones as they released, but I plan to get one of the new ones day one so....I probably won't look into the new pokemon much, but I'll inevitably run into a few on forums and the like and that's fine.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I would like some semblance of what the new Pokemon are like, but I do enjoy discovering a ton of new pokemon when I play the games. It's one of the reasons I loved Black and White so much. I knew some of the Pokemon that were out, but when I actually played it I found so many others that I absolutely loved.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
My knowledge of the TCG is severely out of date. I mostly played it on Gameboy Color.

Quid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Not for a long time and I never got very good. It was quite fun though. I hung out with a bunch of players for a short while, and it seemed pretty expensive to keep up what with only recent cards being legal - and they only used legal cards. I suppose that's less of an issue with the online tcg site these days. Has anyone used the site? Is it any good?

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
I used to play the TCG with my friends for a while, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when I was much younger. Still have the cards, I think.

Regarding Pokémon Sun & Moon:
I was expecting a Pokémon Z, but this is also nice. Hopefully the starters'll be good (or at least better than Chikorita... Still get annoyed when I remember how bad that... whatever-Chikorita-is was).
Also, hoping Magearna's good, because I like the design.
Alsoalso, hoping we get a Dark-type gym this time. It's been 5 gens since Dark debuted (6 once Sun & Moon come out), and I'm pretty sure every other type has at least one gym, so it's about damn time Dark got a gym. Especially hoping it's one of the later ones.
On the subject of gyms, can we please, please, please get another double battle gym like that one from Hoenn (y'know, the Psychic one)? I liked that one, and I'd like to see another one like it.
Alsoalsoalso, I wonder what kind of tree this region's professor will be named after? Random thought, I know, but still.
Alsoalsoalsoalso, do you think the Pokémon amiibo'll do anything with Sun & Moon?
Finally... I'm not as hyped as I feel like I should be. Probably because I don't know anything beyond version names and that Magearna... exists. Hopefully I'll get excited when we see some new stuff. Like the starters.

Also, Celebi's available for download starting today. Just go to Mystery Gift > Get Via Internet (or whatever that option is) and download yourself a LV100 Celebi.
Dunno if all the 20th anniversary event pokémon'll be delivered this way from Celebi on (I know Mew wasn't, but I dunno about future ones), but I hope so.

If there's no Mega Solock and Mega Lunatone, there's going to be hell to pay.
Eh, hopefully they'll get something this time, but I dunno if they'll see Mega Evolutions. Maybe regular evolutions into better rocks?
Mega Flygon needs to happen this time tho. Also, Mega Raichu would be nice for the neglected electrodent. Also Mega Meganium, since regular Meganium sucks (at least from what I remember of Gold/Silver, anyway). Finally, please Nintendo, make Mega Electrode, and make it look like a Master Ball. Please.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
(or at least better than Chikorita... Still get annoyed when I remember how bad that... whatever-Chikorita-is was).

Don't talk to me or my sons ever again

(okay but seriously though Chikorita's adorable - grass starters are almost always my favs. Tbh the only line I wasn't that fond of was Turtwig's line)

Reactions: Altashi

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016

Don't talk to me or my sons ever again

(okay but seriously though Chikorita's adorable - grass starters are almost always my favs. Tbh the only line I wasn't that fond of was Turtwig's line)
Yeah, Chikorita is cute. That's the entire reason I picked one.
And regretted it quickly when I saw Faulkner. And Bugsy. And most Team Rocket fights. And... okay I can't blame Chikorita for doing poorly against Whitney. Whitney is annoying no matter who your starter is.

And yeah, I tend to like the Grass starters as well.
Only ones I didn't prefer were Chikorita (as I've stated), Treecko (Torchic evolves into awesome, and I really liked Mudkips back in Sapphire; however, Sceptile won me over in OmegaRuby by getting Dragon type, so this one's more a three-way tie now), and Chespin (tied with Froakie, entirely because I really like Greninja, otherwise Chespin would win).
I never played either of the Black & Whites, but Snivy's my favorite from that gen (I got Contrary Serperior from an event some time ago, SO HAPPY).

Kinda wish I hadn't skipped gen 5, I really like some of the Pokémon that started there (the Snivy line, Oshawott and Dewott (not Samurott tho), Victini, Lillipup (so cute), Excadrill, Scolipede (a not-terrible bug? Yes please), Whimsicott, Lilligant, Emolga, Ferrothorn, maybe Chandelure (don't care for it in the games, but its appearance in Pokken Tournament intrigues me), Volcarona, Keldeo, Genesect (can't wait for this one to be given out again, since I never lucked into one on Wonder Trade)).

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I always choose grass starters in my game. I've always liked them the most (Chespin and Snivy stand out as my favorites). It's just a shame that Gens II and III had a real hatred for grass-types in their games.

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I remember when I beat Whitney on the second try. Don't know if for luck or for my overleveled Croconaw lol

ShadowLightMew

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
My starters through the generations: Charmander &Pikachu, Cyndaquil & Chikorita, Mudkip, Piplup, Snivy & Oshawott and in XY Fennekin & Charmander. As for ORAS, Mudkip all the way. I'll see who my starter will be in Sun & Moon.

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
I think when I first played I picked Cyndiquil which was pretty much the worst decision for her considering her Miltank's love of Rollout
Ooh, that must've sucked.
I feel your pain, mate. I remember going Cyndaquil once. Don't think I made it past her, just restarted and went back to Totodile.

I always choose grass starters in my game. I've always liked them the most (Chespin and Snivy stand out as my favorites). It's just a shame that Gens II and III had a real hatred for grass-types in their games.
Gen 3? I mean, yeah Gen 2 sucked for Grass, but 3 was kinder to Treecko if I recall correctly.

I remember when I beat Whitney on the second try. Don't know if for luck or for my overleveled Croconaw lol
Totodile generally had it easy in Gen 2 from what I remember (admittedly not much, but still), so it could've just been Croconaw on that one.

So, on an unrelated note...
D'you think the starters this time are just gonna be Fire/Water/Grass all the way, or will they get second types at the final evolution again?

Metafogos

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 21, 2016
Regis with HA in Pokemon Bank, starting in friday and go until halloween

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I was under the impression that people generally liked Treecko. Not that I've ever picked it. (Mudkip for life!)

I actually don't think I've taken a Grass starter since Gen 1 (Bulbasaur was my very first pokemon~). I want to say I prefer most of the Water starters, but thinking back, my first picks in Emerald, Diamond, and HeartGold were all Fire. Black was the first time I picked the Water starter for my first playthrough.

ILikeKirbys

Puffball Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2016
I was under the impression that people generally liked Treecko. Not that I've ever picked it. (Mudkip for life!)
I do! I like Treecko! Yeah, I prefer Mudkip (Torchic's also cool, but that's mostly just for Blaziken), but Treecko's good too.
Honestly, all of the Hoenn starters are great.

I actually don't think I've taken a Grass starter since Gen 1 (Bulbasaur was my very first pokemon~). I want to say I prefer most of the Water starters, but thinking back, my first picks in Emerald, Diamond, and HeartGold were all Fire. Black was the first time I picked the Water starter for my first playthrough.
Hey, Bulbasaur was my first Pokémon too!
Eh, I prefer Water starters (except Black/White's trio; Oshawott's cute, but Serperior is just... serperior), but the Fire-types were generally cool too. I just got soured on them by the stomping Brock gave me when I went Charmander way back in the day (not on LeafGreen though: Charmander got Metal Claw there, and I got sweet revenge)
Matter of fact, that explains my dislike of Pikachu until Omega Ruby too, since Brock was painful on Yellow.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Hey, Bulbasaur was my first Pokémon too!
Eh, I prefer Water starters (except Black/White's trio; Oshawott's cute, but Serperior is just... serperior), but the Fire-types were generally cool too. I just got soured on them by the stomping Brock gave me when I went Charmander way back in the day (not on LeafGreen though: Charmander got Metal Claw there, and I got sweet revenge)
Matter of fact, that explains my dislike of Pikachu until Omega Ruby too, since Brock was painful on Yellow.
At least in Yellow they started giving us Mankey before Brock.
Red and Blue were not particularly well thought out. I still can't get over how pointless it was to have Psychic weak to Ghost when the only Ghosts were part Poison, and the only Ghost attacks were Nightshade and Lick. Bugs didn't fare much better, but at least they had some better attacks than freaking Lick. Also making Dragon weak to Dragon when the only such attack was Dragon Rage. I loved those games, don't get me wrong, but wow I'm glad Gold and Silver improved things as much as they did.

EDIT: I say even though I didn't play any games between Red/Blue and Emerald.

Zekira Drake

Burrito's burritos
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
At least in Yellow they started giving us Mankey before Brock.
Red and Blue were not particularly well thought out. I still can't get over how pointless it was to have Psychic weak to Ghost when the only Ghosts were part Poison, and the only Ghost attacks were Nightshade and Lick. Bugs didn't fare much better, but at least they had some better attacks than freaking Lick. Also making Dragon weak to Dragon when the only such attack was Dragon Rage. I loved those games, don't get me wrong, but wow I'm glad Gold and Silver improved things as much as they did.
It was 1996 lol