PLOT TWISTS!

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
Plot twist! you get to the final boss expecting it to be a huge mean ugly predator, but SURPRISE! The final boss is actually an undulate leading the predators out of the Hold.
Turns out some prey got thrown in the Hold as well and they just want to get out. This battle hardened undulate comes back with a vengeance and wishes death to all of the privileged prey who put his ancestors in the Hold.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Sorry if it's necroposting but I had an idea while re-reading the Them's Fightin Herds TVtropes' page and making a whole new thread seemed like it would be worse than reviving a dead one.

So... Fred's full name is "FHTNG TH§ ¿NSP§KBL?", sounds like your classic unpronounceable eldricht name right? Though if you let your mind fill the gap it's obvious it says "Fighting the Unspeakable". Here's what I realized though: that doesn't sound like a name.

What of the original reason why Dark magic was shunned isn't because it's evil but because it warps what comes into contact with it? What if Fred was just a magic user using terrible powers to fight something even worse? He probably started as a normal ungulate and the extra horns and eyes were mutations from using Dark magic, but what if this goes beyond the physical?

Maybe after being stuck in a book of dark magic for so long his memories are spotty and twisted and so that's why he thinks FHTNG TH§ ¿NSP§KBL? is his name when in reality it's his job description?

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
It's obviously the fighting that we can't talk about here! :arismile:
Yeah, I know it's a joke about the previous game getting a C&D but I still thought it was an interesting theory. Also I'm really hoping that the game's story isn't going to go the "Dark is evil, no other possibility" route because I think having Light and Dark locked in a Good and Evil dichotomy without nuances isn't as interesting. Absolute white and pure black are nice for contrast but I really like to have a bunch of greys in the middle.

sokolgs

TFH Streamer
Jan 4, 2017
Russia, Moscow city
Yeah, I know it's a joke about the previous game getting a C&D but I still thought it was an interesting theory. Also I'm really hoping that the game's story isn't going to go the "Dark is evil, no other possibility" route because I think having Light and Dark locked in a Good and Evil dichotomy without nuances isn't as interesting. Absolute white and pure black are nice for contrast but I really like to have a bunch of greys in the middle.
For now from all the hints i can only guess that Fred is a bad magical Predator, that hides his plan from Olly. She is a victim.
Who knows, may be he realy is the one, who will try to destroy Foenum?

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
For now from all the hints i can only guess that Fred is a bad magical Predator, that hides his plan from Olly. She is a victim.
Who knows, may be he realy is the one, who will try to destroy Foenum?
I know he's a demon and all but I don't think he's going to turn out to be evil, or at the very least he's not going to hurt Oleander. It just doesn't seem like that kind of story. If there's a plot twist at all I think it's going to involve Paprika somehow.

Reactions: sokolgs

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
Plot Twist: The whole game was just a dream of Arizona's brought on by eating a bit too much ragwort.

In all seriousness...

To address the Fred topic, I'd prefer it if he was morally ambiguous, maybe leaning a bit towards evil, but still had a fondness for Oleander. It would seem a bit disappointing (to me) if he was a perfectly nice guy, but it would also be a little too simple if he were just "evil". I guess I'm driving at the idea that he is initially only using Oleander to reincarnate himself, but grows fond of her by the end, or something of that sort.

Speaking of the story, I hope Paprika shows some emotion other than happiness, and I hope Tianhuo is given a struggle of some kind. As it is, it seems like she has already overcome every obstacle before her and has little room left for growth. She's already evolved past her brutality and is now the strong, honorable Captain of the Longmas. It doesn't seem like there's anywhere left for her to go, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

sokolgs

TFH Streamer
Jan 4, 2017
Russia, Moscow city
Plot Twist: The whole game was just a dream of Arizona's brought on by eating a bit too much ragwort.

In all seriousness...

To address the Fred topic, I'd prefer it if he was morally ambiguous, maybe leaning a bit towards evil, but still had a fondness for Oleander. It would seem a bit disappointing (to me) if he was a perfectly nice guy, but it would also be a little too simple if he were just "evil". I guess I'm driving at the idea that he is initially only using Oleander to reincarnate himself, but grows fond of her by the end, or something of that sort.
It's like: Hey girl, i know you've done to me a lot, but i only wanted to resurect myself and get back to my old evil life. But you know what? Screw that, i'm with you against my own race.

Jul 4, 2016
It's like: Hey girl, i know you've done to me a lot, but i only wanted to resurect myself and get back to my old evil life. But you know what? Screw that, i'm with you against my own race.
Well, that's a bit presumptuous. We don't even know if he really is a predator or not.
And I'm on the team who would find it extremely disappointing if he really were just pure evil and Oleander's story wound up boiling down to "Dark Really Is Evil, Light Really Is The Only Good Magic, Do Not Question Or Challenge Traditions Ever."

As for plot twists, the only one I can think of that I haven't seen already is:
"DLC Goat is the descendant/reincarnation of the Prophet."

(Unless someone else suggested that already and I just missed it... )

Delusional Dreamer

Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
Even after seing him on "All Predators" Wallpaper? There's literaly ALL predators, even Woof!
But, unlike the other predators, Fred is actually colored in somewhat. All the others are greyed out.

Truth is I think Manesix just drew him as part of the predator backdrop and didn't think about removing him with the rest of the Fightin' Six.

Reactions: sokolgs
Jul 4, 2016
Even after seing him on "All Predators" Wallpaper? There's literaly ALL predators, even Woof!
Actually, no, I didn't notice his book at first glance. So... sorry for being stupid, I guess?

Even with that in mind, I don't think it's out of the question for Fred to just be out for himself at first and just... not care about the other predators. In fact, a plot twist could have Fred gain a physical form and lead the predators, and us, to believe that his plan was to liberate all predators... but then he turns around and is like, "Um, I just did all this to get my body and powers back, and I can much better avoid being thrown in the Hold without a bunch of other predators causing a panic and sending their magic-users into another predator-rounding craze. So seeya, losers! Have fun in the Hold without me!" Yeah, this scenario is unlikely, but it'd be an interesting twist, I think.

Speaking of, I'm rethinking my "Goat and Prophet" suggestion. I remember thinking of the Prophet as a goat, with the horn-key and long beard and whatnot. But rereading the lore and her apparent Ancient Egypt origins, I don't think it matches her. Oh well.

Reactions: Feanor and sokolgs

Hippocampus

Sep 20, 2017
Speaking of, I'm rethinking my "Goat and Prophet" suggestion. I remember thinking of the Prophet as a goat, with the horn-key and long beard and whatnot. But rereading the lore and her apparent Ancient Egypt origins, I don't think it matches her. Oh well.
I looked up a list of ungulates in Egypt. There are several goats there including the Nubian Ibex. Unfortunately only the males have the beards.
I tried looking up species of ungulates whose females have beards, but I wasn't very successful. So I think the team might just be ignoring that.

Delusional Dreamer

Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
I looked up a list of ungulates in Egypt. There are several goats there including the Nubian Ibex. Unfortunately only the males have the beards.
I tried looking up species of ungulates whose females have beards, but I wasn't very successful. So I think the team might just be ignoring that.
M A G I C

Irc they said somewhere that any discrepancies with Arizona and a normal cow don't matter since cows evolved differently or something in Fœnum, so I'm guessing that probably applies to goats too.

Reactions: Hippocampus

TheWalrus

Feb 17, 2016
This ibex is even missing a horn.

ibex.jpg

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
On the Fred topic, my initial reaction to the possibility of him really being evil was that it would be too simple but then I realized... Fred is an individual, distinct from Dark magic itself. So there is a possibility that Fred is evil but Dark magic is not. This could actually lead to an interesting story where he betray Oleander and she's initially shaken thinking that she was wrong but then she realize that she still has her powers and she can still choose how to use them and she beat Fred with Dark magic. Possibly imprisonning him in the book again... and who know, perhaps standing up to and defeating him would earn her his begrudging respect. He's pretty much immortal and unicorns are very long lived. Perhaps, in time, redemption and a careful friendship can be achieved...

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
I tried looking up species of ungulates whose females have beards, but I wasn't very successful.
Fun fact, for aboooooooooooout five minutes on the very very very first draft on week 1 of Lauren joining the team, Oleander was to have a very luscious beard. And then she didn't.

Also, re: Thread.

Eliah Pickford

Apr 11, 2019
In the dark corners of Foenum, isolated places few can recall or visit, the natural order had never changed. Blood is shed and flesh is taken, with lives rising and falling like the tides of the sea. From yet undiscovered continents to the depths of the ocean. The lands peace continues so long as what dwells beyond Foenum's borders remain ignorant of it's exact location. Where generations of ungulates remain ignorant to the pain of fangs through flesh.

"Awake and hungry. But where is it? Take us there, to walk among this crop! This garden needs to know the kiss of the scythe once more."

...I need to stop thinking about cosmic horror so much. I'm making fat jokes about the abyss. At least Pom's theme is nice to listen to!