PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale

KYMSnowman

Professional Potato
Backers' Beta Tester

Just putting this thread out there to merely see how this community perceives the game.

Personally, I thought it was a great alternative to Smash Bros. I personally liked the idea of using Supers to finish off your enemies instead of knocking them off the stage. It gave you 100% control for winning a match when there's more than two players fighting against each other. You can't really say that for Smash because even if you beat an opponent up to 300% damage all alone, the other fighters can just sneak in and take your kill from you.

I also feel that making it different was a great step towards creating a Mascot Fighter subgenre of fighting games that weren't all just the same game reskinned with different characters. If it had succeeded, we could've had a game from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft coming out every generation which would be super rad.

My biggest issue with the game would have to be its character roster which could've used less third-party characters (and one less Cole MacGrath). PlayStation already has tons of first-party characters that are iconic to the system. Of course, I understand that getting the rights for characters is a difficult and costly objective to accomplish, but I feel that if you're gonna make a game like this, you gotta make sure you can supply the demand first.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
My biggest issue with the game would have to be its character roster which could've used less third-party characters (and one less Cole MacGrath). PlayStation already has tons of first-party characters that are iconic to the system. Of course, I understand that getting the rights for characters is a difficult and costly objective to accomplish, but I feel that if you're gonna make a game like this, you gotta make sure you can supply the demand first.
The Roster was the main reason the game failed, everything else was right but for a game that calls him self "All-Stars" there where not enough iconic characters in the Game, and they also made some questionable choices like using the Reboot Dante that was hated by pretty much everyone, instead of using the classic one.

And instead of of fixing the problems with the roster by adding at least some of the most wanted characters at a later point, sony just gave up the game in record time. ö.ö

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The lack of so many iconic PS1 era characters basically comes down to the fact that far, far too many of them were sold off as the PS2 started to roll around. The end result was kind of a mess of a line up where most of the characters were multiplatform or from games rated M and above which removed any appeal for kids who would have never heard of Parappa (too old) or Kratos (okay, assuming they don't have absentee parenting) so it was left to fighting fans to carry the day which they were never going to do because 1) they already had smash and 2) the kill system was so utterly unbalanced and the teired stages so camping dominant that the 'fox only, final destination' meme was much more literal than in the game that spawned it.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
I remember that game! Had a blast playing it with a few friends from the local FGC (may it R.I.P.) even though the game got ripped to shreds by reviewers and the FGC it was still enjoyable. Sad that I only got to play it for a few weeks before the game vanished.

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
Oh! I played this game a few times. I got it with the PS3 I purchased, it was alright, I mostly played it with my brother mostly or as a party game with multiple friends over. Sackboy was probably my favorite character.

Reactions: Tox