Playable predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Sorry if there's already a thread for this (if there is, I couldn't find it), but anyways...

I think I heard the developers in one of the streams talking about making the predators playable characters. They'll very likely be bosses throughout various levels, but I really like the idea of them being playable as well.

Does this mean that we'll get several predator characters which different names and personalities? I know they said the predators aren't supposed to be sapient, just mindless beasts, but I still like that idea. I even came up with different personalities for each of the predators in this sketch.

The Panther
A calm, clever, faux affably evil chessmaster, sort of a cross between Disney's Shere Khan and pre-reformation Discord. He puts his prey into dangerous traps like mazes for his own amusement before he eats them (sort of an extension of how real life cats play with their food).

The Wolf
A savage warrior who leads an army of other wolves who act as evil counterparts to Pom's dogs.

The Crocodile
A vicious beast who talks mostly in growls and hisses, with the occasional word, kind of like King Sombra. However, he is much smarter than he looks, and is sort of a stealth hunter.

The Bear
An dimwitted, childish anti-villain who prefers fish (which isn't considered meat in many cultures), honey, and berries to ungulates. At the end, he might take up a completely vegan diet and makes a heel-face turn.

So, once again, I think it'd be cool if (along with the leader) these were the only sapient predators in the game. What do you think?

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Sorry if there's already a thread for this (if there is, I couldn't find it), but anyways...

I think I heard the developers in one of the streams talking about making the predators playable characters. They'll very likely be bosses throughout various levels, but I really like the idea of them being playable as well.

Does this mean that we'll get several predator characters which different names and personalities? I know they said the predators aren't supposed to be sapient, just mindless beasts, but I still like that idea. I even came up with different personalities for each of the predators in this sketch.

The Panther
A calm, clever, faux affably evil chessmaster, sort of a cross between Disney's Shere Khan and pre-reformation Discord. He puts his prey into dangerous traps like mazes for his own amusement before he eats them (sort of an extension of how real life cats play with their food).

The Wolf
A savage warrior who leads an army of other wolves who act as evil counterparts to Pom's dogs.

The Crocodile
A vicious beast who talks mostly in growls and hisses, with the occasional word, kind of like King Sombra. However, he is much smarter than he looks, and is sort of a stealth hunter.

The Bear
An dimwitted, childish anti-villain who prefers fish (which isn't considered meat in many cultures), honey, and berries to ungulates. At the end, he might take up a completely vegan diet and makes a heel-face turn.

So, once again, I think it'd be cool if (along with the leader) these were the only sapient predators in the game. What do you think?
I am all for this, but why does everyone say that the predators aren't sapient? It seems completely against what was shown from the prologue of the book of lore, where we see possibly malicious but completely intelligent scouts for the Devourer. I enjoy the idea of playable predators and think it would be best to show the other side of the story.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Now that I think about it, I like the idea of there being six playable predators who act as evil counterparts to the six fighters. I already mentioned the wolf and his/her pack who act as evil counterparts to Pom and her dogs, but anyone got other suggestions?

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Now that I think about it, I like the idea of there being six playable predators who act as evil counterparts to the six fighters. I already mentioned the wolf and his/her pack who act as evil counterparts to Pom and her dogs, but anyone got other suggestions?
Perhaps a griffon or a sphinx as a Tianhuo counterpart?

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
Someone brought up the bear idea in another thread and I loved it.
I'm not sure how much I love the idea of it being childish in personality, though, if I'm honest. Or "dimwitted". I'd definitely take childish over dimwitted though.
I'd also accept the crocodile if he had a cigar, stitches across his snout, and a dry laugh.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Predators are definitely sapient. They talk and behave intelligently from what we have seen. I like these ideas though! Bears could very well be vegan if they wanted too, so I approve that. Something tells me that there will be room for a big bulky fighter anyhow

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
This sounds like an interesting idea and would make a lot of sense since fighting games usually have playable villains too

TheWanderingZebra

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 14, 2016
Why not? Every fighting game allows you to play as the villains. So why not have at least one predator as a playable character (a wolf or lion maybe?)

TheWalrus

Feb 17, 2016
Cats!

Just like sheepdogs escaped the banishment by living between the sheep, cats would have escaped by hiding their own presence.

Cat clans would live in secret villages, near to ungulate settlements, covertly feeding on mouses, rabbits and other pests without their acknowledgement. Only sheepdogs, their old rivals at pest control, would know about their existence.

Though cats don't really care about the Ungulates, they would oppose to the return of other Predators, since they would just be extra competition.

In short: a character would be an antiheroic ninja murderkitten.

Nathan

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 10, 2016
Sounds like a fun idea. I'm in favor of not necessarily giving them names. After all, they are the villains of the story and they presumably share the same goals and aren't really competing with each other per se. So, exact distinctions between one or the other of them are not exactly meaningful. A few color schemes would be good though.

18/NINE-TEEN

♫ ♪ Just Get On With It & Kill Me ♩ ♬
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hopefully there will be some playable male & female predators, with thier own storylines & have good & bad outcomes depending on the path they choose.
Maybe there will be some hybrid [likeTianhuo] playble predators. I could see the boss being some type of hybrid predator, with more than one head & transformation.

Some winged predators like a Griffin, Sphinx (with a animal face. Snake?) &/or hybrid winged predator would be cool for TFH.

A Golden Eagle with four talons could be an intresting challenger when dealing with goat & (gray wolf) wolf.

Golden Eagle
Golden eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9 Predators With The Most Brutal Hunting Techniques
http://io9.gizmodo.com/9-predators-with-the-most-brutal-hunting-techniques-510100768

Last edited:

18/NINE-TEEN

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Maybe the wolf &/or hyena predator could also play like Pom's character? He/She could be in a (hyena/wolf pack) pack and can control where the other wolves/hyenas in the pack will attack the opponent(s).
The wolf/hyena pack could consist of cubs & adults that aid and attack for that character. Adults in the pack will cause more damage and the cubs in the pack will do light damage to the opponent.
One of the cubs could bring out some type of accessory/item that could add some health back to the wolf/hyena (I think Paprika may be able to do something like this with her items/cannon attacks).
An adult could have some type of weapon (a big double ended blade) in its mouth to attack the opponent with (Kakashi Hatake's Ninja Hounds attacks in Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3, Naruto/Naruto Shippuden games & series comes to mind).
So far one of Pom's puppies can fly/walk/run in the air so the same could apply to any of the adults & cubs in the pack. The pack might be able to do other things like spit poison, fire, acid,use light &/or dark magic, they could bite/lockjaw onto your hoof, claw, paw for a small period of time to temporally slow down your opponent(s) speed in the match ect, ect.
One of the supers for them or Pom (Dog/Puppy/Pack pile) could be similar to Darkstalkers/ Night Warriors Felicia's Please Help Me super &/or BlazBlue Taokaka's Astral Finish.

Felicia's Please Help Me 1:17-1:22

0:24- 0:33

Taokaka Astral Finish

Kakashi Hatake's Ninja Hounds attacks

Let's play Kakashi Ninja Council Part 1: Release The Hounds

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Blazing - 6 Star Kakashi (Dogs Style) Jutsu & Ultimate Jutsu!

One of Goat's (maybe Paprika instead?) supers might be similar to Taokaka Astral Finish with her &/or some other goats moving all over the screen hitting the opponent in different directions.

Taokaka Astral Finish

BlazBlue Astral Finishes-Taokaka's Astral Finish

Last edited:

Solario

I had to look up what a Longma was before I was convinced it wasn't just a hybrid creature unique to Fœnum. I would bet a predator counterpart to Tienhuo would be an obscure, flying, mythical hybrid beast as well...maybe a peryton?

I might also enjoy seeing something evil and predatory that also has hooves, like maybe a kelpie who uses water magic or a lumbering catoblepas, to counter Velvet and Arizona, respectively? There's also the questing beast, though the name is a little odd...

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
Cats!

Just like sheepdogs escaped the banishment by living between the sheep, cats would have escaped by hiding their own presence.

Cat clans would live in secret villages, near to ungulate settlements, covertly feeding on mouses, rabbits and other pests without their acknowledgement. Only sheepdogs, their old rivals at pest control, would know about their existence.

Though cats don't really care about the Ungulates, they would oppose to the return of other Predators, since they would just be extra competition.

In short: a character would be an antiheroic ninja murderkitten.
I'd love a 3rd cat side to this "war", especially if the cat's story involved him/her stealing the key, sealing the predators away again then just tossing the key in a garbage bin somewhere (since they have no obligation to return it). They could be a really devious opponent, watching the other Key Keepers from the shadows and striking when they're least prepared. I love this idea so much.

I could also see the wolf predator character using a switch-in mechanic like other fighting games. The character could actually be 3 separate wolves, each with a different personality and slightly different movesets. They'd each have extremely low health, but each of their health bars could be separate from the others, and combined would be roughly equal to the other fighters. You could also swap in during combos, which could lead to some pretty cool mix-ups.

EDIT: I can just imagine how crowded their character icon would be.

18/NINE-TEEN

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
A small chance The Devourer could have body parts of the most dangerous predators (dead &/or alive predators) (including dinosaurs, dragons and other mythical creatures) in The Hold. The Devourer might be able to fly as well as being a shape-shifting [Shapeshifting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia] creature?

Ammit/ devourer" or "soul-eater. Her titles included "Devourer of the Dead", "Eater of Hearts", and "Great of Death
Ammit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Devourer
the devourer - Google Search

Last edited:

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Perhaps a griffon or a sphinx as a Tianhuo counterpart?
How about Hippogriff?

A Hippogriff is part griffon and part horse, and could be a interesting counterpart to Tianhuo, since both are part Horse and part Mythical Predator, the Hippogriff character could try to convince Tianhuo that the ungulates can't win the final conflict, but that Tianhuo and the other Longma still have a chance if they change sides.

A small chance The Devourer could have body parts of the most dangerous predators (dead &/or alive predators) (including dinosaurs, dragons and other mythical creatures) in The Hold. The Devourer might be able to fly as well as being a shape-shifting [Shapeshifting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia] creature?

Ammit/ devourer" or "soul-eater. Her titles included "Devourer of the Dead", "Eater of Hearts", and "Great of Death
Wow that would be a great Final boss. Ö_Ö

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Since I am at work I just skimmed through the thread, but I will give you a good reply. It is a bit too early for thinking about playable predators but I can almost garentee that they will happen. You have to understand that at the moment we don't even have a finished game. So priority for the Mane 6 is finishing TFH, its 6 characters that will be playable on release, the battle lobby/story world that no other fighting game currently has, DMS that is also unique I think. And after the game is done they already have a DLC funded by us backers to make. So I don't think that the correct question is IF but more like WHEN. And if you ask me I would rather see a 2nd encore type thing(from Skull Girls) for predators DLC. And my last guess is that around this time next year or at the latest january 2018 we are going to be hearing stuff about playable predators.

Last edited:

18/NINE-TEEN

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
One of the future playable (DLC?) predators stroylines could be to change/make The Hold a better place for predators to live in?
Another storyline could be for a predator to try and find a way where The Hold & Foenum could become some type of Zootropolis for all predators (inculding The Devourer) and ungulates/prey are able to live together in peace in both relams ?
There could be a storyline where the destruction of The Hold & Foenum will eventually happen because of all of the different types of magic being used in battles between the animals, so a predator & a Key Seekers/Key Keeper join forces and use forbidden magic to create a new realm (maybe use forbidden magic to combine The Hold & Foenum into a new world for both predators & ungulates to live in?) where predators and ungulates/prey will have to put their differences aside and work together to keep this new realm from meeting the same fate that The Hold & Foenum did?
The new realm could have a Wayward Pines/Planet of The Apes kind of thing going on, where the punishment is death to any animial that kills &/or eats another animal.

Last edited:

18/NINE-TEEN

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You could have a playable alligator &/or crocodile predator [that's evil to other predators & ungulates] thats a hybrid [shark, griffin, dragon, dinosaur [Primal Rage], ungulate, polar bear for example ], and has similar powers and appearance to Lapis Lazuli from Steven Universe.

It would be an interesting battle between Tianhuo & a hybrid alligator &/or crocodile [Adventure Time Frost & Fire episode with Ice King & Flame Princess battle or a Poke'mon battle between a water type and fire type comes to mind] .

Last edited:

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
I'm thinking if there were playable predators it would be some sort of faction mode sort of how some games do it. Example: there are 100 fights in total, and the Predators won 51, thus the predators win.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I'm thinking if there were playable predators it would be some sort of faction mode sort of how some games do it. Example: there are 100 fights in total, and the Predators won 51, thus the predators win.
This is a fighting game, which usually have a separate story for each character. What you mentioned might be something players decide to do in multiplayer game.

Ultra Lucky Cat

Best Felyne Food Skill
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Didn't the arcade cabinets of Soulcalibur 2 do something similar? Though it wasn't really separated by characters like that. I think it'd be a fun addition, though.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I see that one of the predators on the site background is a snake.

Maybe it could be a spitting cobra? Spitting venom would be an interesting mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.