Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Persona 4 Arena is a good game for beginners who want to get their hands on 4-buttons fighting games. BlazBlue is a solid choice too but it's very technical while Guilty Gear is more fast-paced with very little room for failure for the combos.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
I remember someone telling me that this is a good game to learn for playing TFH. So that's a good motivation to play this.
I remember arguing about that one, and I think it was Galaxy who even mentioned it on the forum, so we had a discussion about that one.

while Guilty Gear is more fast-paced with very little room for failure for the combos.
Guilty Gear is also a 5 button fighter, not 4.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Noooooot really, no.
I remember arguing about that one, and I think it was Galaxy who even mentioned it on the forum, so we had a discussion about that one...
Great to hear it straight from the horse's mouth instead of from someone who's only experience in playing TFH is playing "The-Game-That-Must-Not-Be-Named"

Reactions: Tox

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Am I the only one who learned how to play beat-em-ups with the ASW games? My opinion is solid as a house of cards, I'll admit, but I thought P4AU wasn't a bad choice.

Last edited:

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Am I the only one who learned how to play beat-em-ups with the ASW games? My opinion is solid as a house of cards, I'll admit, but I thought P4AU wasn't a bad choice.
There's several mechanics in the Arena games that just... don't make for a good upbringing when it comes to fighting games. The issue with learning fighting games is that every single game will teach you bad habits. SF4 will have you crouch teching, Marvel will have you chicken blocking, Skullgirls will have you doing Push Block Guard Cancel reversals, and Melty will have you mashing 2A before you know it.

The Arena games have a four button layout, that's correct, but the issue is that it's not a 3 strength + one utility setup. It's literally Light, Persona Light, Heavy, and Persona Heavy. The buttons don't match up with other games in that sense, and because of the way the default layout functions, some people won't fully understand the difference between it and an ABC+D fighter. Another big issue is having your invincible reversal on a button press (it's on B+D, is it not?) since that allows a lot of people to turn their brains off when it comes to reacting properly to mixups and doing an input on the proper side. It will likely cause issues for anyone who relies on this far too much when they go into other games because they won't have that option anymore.

Reactions: Oreo

GreySky-GodoftheMachine

Fear; The Shadow of Death
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 18, 2017
Try to main Akihiko senpai get wrecked by cheap range attacks move on to Ultimax get wrecked again... good times. But for real Akihiko is great I was on a win streak with my friends for over two hours... eventually my hands started to cramp up RIP win streak LOL.