Pen & Paper and other Tabletop Games

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Okay, so Roan is out, and could easily fit our purposes I believe. Maybe not the world, but the characters ad rules. Anyone backed it/ bought a copy?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Better to ask it again though. I was too lazy to rifle throught the comments, even if I remembered someone mentioning it.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Better to ask it again though. I was too lazy to rifle throught the comments, even if I remembered someone mentioning it.
So, I'm assuming you want me to teach everyone/share the pdf? I'm willing to do that, but not on these forums. I'd be kinda rude to have backed them and almost immediately put out their product out on the internet for free that ANYONE passing by could download.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
So, what happened with the discord chat? It should probably happen soon if we're gonna start doing this, plus if we're gonna quickly decide what we're doing exactly.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Well we got to see when everyone can be available for playing an hour or 2 long game
Well??? Shouldn't we just clarify this then? I'll try to make ANY TIME... at least till classes start, then it'll be like only late on week days (still any time during weekends however)

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Well, if we're deciding on a WHEN, we should know WHEN we are.
To everyone who is interested in participating, post a comment with your time zone,
(Central Standard, Eastern, Mountain, anything else)
and someone will pick a time and see if everyone agrees to it.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I'm in North American EST, so as of this post it has just hit noon (1200 hours).

I'm going to be away for a couple of days, just FYI. Not that I think there would be some plan to get this started that soon anyway.

As to availability, it depends if I'm working the night of, or have worked the night before. I'm generally available in the mornings between about 0800 and ending around 1400. If I didn't work the night before, and don't work the night of, then it can be extended to around 0600 to 2000. The end times being around when I go to bed, not my last hour available to start. There is some leeway of course.

TyphlUpgrade

When the Eleven-Day Empire eats the sky...
Crowdfund Backer
Count me in. This is 4 reals. Availability varies, as I can be doing many things in many different times. I can probably arrange a time slot for Sunday at 8:00pm American Central. I am versed in DnD 5.0, but could adapt to another system. As long as I don't have to dish out too much. I'm slightly poor :/.

koscum

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
May we share our RPG adventures and stories? I don't care; I'm sharing it anyway ^_^. This happened few weeks ago, but meh, here it goes:

We've been playing a Neverwinter Night campaign using the 5e rules. Our DM made some modifications where they were necessary and did a great job of making it not feel like a an actual PC game. The world responded to our decisions in a much better way, and some of the NPCs have been completely overhauled.
Aaaaanyway, I am a Warlock in this campaign. A ???/???/??? (that's my alignment, btw - and yes, I have a third alignment axis) Warlock who took The Great Old Ones pact. I was allowed to come up with whatever I wanted for my Patron, so I went along with an Ancient God that INVENTED death... as a concept.
Basically, it figured out that instead of devouring entire universes and facing huge opposition, it could slowly sip the life force out of the creatures that inhabit them without them ever noticing and do it on a massive scale. As its hunger grew, it eventually decided to start spreading and altering life in order to have a more bountiful harvest. Of course, First Ones put a wrench into its plans when they sealed the barriers between Far Realms and Reality, thus depriving it from one of its tastiest sources of nourishment and entertainment (Material Plane). Blah, blah, blah, Elves eventually broke the barriers and it was free to nom again, but things have changed and it had to adapt and "co-operate" with other entities until it regained enough strength to reclaim its title as The Harvester.
Enter, my Warlock. An ass-crazy Half-Elf scholar, living in his own version of reality. In his search for knowledge, he traded parts of his sanity and self to join the service of The Harvester. As its closest follower to the source of a great disturbance that threatened its plans for return to power, he was chosen to receive the gift of becoming a PC. He was infused with the souls and minds of Harvester's previous champions, and as his grasp over the newfound powers became stronger, they began awakening and offering new powers (yay, leveling up explained :D). It did, however, come at a price, as he found that he was slowly losing himself in the collective known as Champion of The Harvester, becoming absorbed, and contributing to something greater.

But enough backstory, it's time for ACTION!
On the penultimate session of the campaign, a friend of mine and I jokingly mentioned that it would be cool if my Patron turned out to be something like Yogg-Saron from Warcraft universe. Well, our DM paid a lot of attention to that and decided to, in a way, make it so. In the final battle, each member of our group gained a powerful boon to reflect their actions and believes. For example, our Dragonborn Paladin of Loot (of Vengance, but he looted sooooo much) became an armoured Red Dragon, our Dwarven Paladin of Tyr pretty much became Judge's Avatar, and our Tiefling Sorceress became a broken Demon (she had an incident where a portion of her soul was almost destroyed, so she ended up a bit broken). I ended as a cowled figure with robe of stars. Noone dared look under the hood as the whispers were already getting close to driving them insane. To make things worse, they couldn't do anything about them as they broke through all magical means of stopping them (Silence, Anti-magic field), and any telepathic protection was instantly shattered.
As we approached Queen's chambers, we encountered few guards that we needed to dispatch. I won the initiative and decided to open things up with an Eldritch Blast. To my surprise, I had to roll d8, followed by d10, and then another d8 (or was it d6?). I ended up casting Storm of Vengance which engulfed the entire demiplane. And yes, that is a 9th level spell.... that was being cast by a Warlock.... as a Cantrip! I've managed to cancel it few rounds later as it was doing more damage to us than to our foes, but we realised that something wasn't right. We found out what was happening after few more spells: my Patron "blessed" me with all the spells in existence, but I had no control over what I would cast. The first roll is to determine the class, the second on determines the level of the spell, and the third roll determines the spell. Limitless potential....... TO SUCK :D! I proceeded to cast a bunch of Locate Objects and Locate Creatures in the final fight, coming close to maximising all the healing done on our boss, and only casting a single useful spell on a random, CR20 add which was Plane Shift that managed to miss the target. I did, however, offer incredibly valuable insight into this demiplane's mechanics, and kept the BBEG's more devastating lair abilities in check to prevent the TPK. We ended up having a ton of fun in the final encounter (everyone like being OP hero and fighting OP BBEG) and winning.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I'm not one for self-promotion, but I will be starting a TFHs D&D game in just under one month. I'm mentioning this here because there's been some interest expressed in the past, and I wanted to let those who would want in that it's happening. The details are in a thread for it, but in brief I'm using the basic D&D 5 rules as found on the Wizards of the Coast websight.

Reactions: Firekirby

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
I'm not one for self-promotion, but I will be starting a TFHs D&D game in just under one month. I'm mentioning this here because there's been some interest expressed in the past, and I wanted to let those who would want in that it's happening. The details are in a thread for it, but in brief I'm using the basic D&D 5 rules as found on the Wizards of the Coast websight.
For future reference, if you're gonna mention another thread on the forums, it helps if you actually link to the thread in question so people don't have to take a roundabout way to find it. Just a heads-up. ;)

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
For future reference, if you're gonna mention another thread on the forums, it helps if you actually link to the thread in question so people don't have to take a roundabout way to find it. Just a heads-up. ;)
Oh. Right... :oops:

Well, um, thanks for puttin' the link! :D

Oh, and in speaking of a link, here's the discord server. Even if you don't plan on playing, you're more then welcome to hop on over and listen in on the sessions, or just chat with other peeps.

Last edited:

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I've learned how to play D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder, and I've made characters for both, but I've never actually gotten to play either. T_T
On a side note, once I learned of the existence of Ponyfinder, I rolled an embarrassing number of characters that will never get to be used.

I did play a game called Scion for a few years. The combat definitely had room for improvement, and we house-ruled a lot of it, but more importantly it had a really fun concept for a setting. Taking place in modern times, player characters are the half-divine children of gods. Any of the gods. Every mythology is real in this game. The core rules allow for Greek, Norse, Japanese, Aztec, Egyptian, and Voodoo characters, with more added in supplements. There are no classes, allowing you to mix and match almost any powers and abilities you want, and you can choose pretty much anything for weapons and special relics for your character (relics being things like a pen that turns into a sword or a first-aid kit with infinite supplies or a cell phone that gets reception anywhere), so long as the GM approves. There's a lot of room for creativity.

Reactions: Firekirby

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
What's Roan?
Roan is a LFE (lawyer friendly equine) system that uses the ubiquity system. Instead of rolling and then adding modifiers, one would instead have a dice pool which is a number of dice based on the player's statistics and must meet or exceed a number of successes, with each roll having a statistical 50% chance of success. The setting itself (which we will be using rather than trying to bend the system to being foenum based) is a diesel punk one, meaning it is sort of like WWI-WWII era, but with magic, robots, and of course airships. One of the main reasons I decided that is because several skills (like driving or firearms) wouldn't fit into foenum at all, and it's just more interesting this way.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
I figure this is the best place to mention this.

I am seeking playtest data from my new board game. It's called "Polyhedral Labyrinths, and is a spiritual successor to "Dungeon Dice Monsters". (you will need "Tabeltop Simlator" in order to play)
Steam Workshop :: Polyhedral Labyrinths

Last edited:

GreySky-GodoftheMachine

Fear; The Shadow of Death
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 18, 2017
As far as RPGs go I've never played ponyfinder, but I have Roan, some digital pathfinder stuff and all the current D&D 5e stuff alone with the tome of beasts. I'm currently a level 14 Fighter: Gunslinger (Matt Mercer Critical Role custom archetype). I hope we get some more 5e Eberron than the small update on the official site; Believe me I took a Dragonmark as a feat when I saw the new stuff. That being said if any of you like D&D I suggest you checkout D&D Beyond it's in phase 1 of the beta.

I've played a wide variety of table top games like King of Tokyo, House on Haunted Hill, and Arkham Horror, not to mention the classics. Currently I'm waiting for the first part of the Dark Souls Board Game to come in from the kickstarter. For games I don't have I like to watch episodes of Tabletop on Geek and Sundry and the old board James episodes. For Kingdom Death Monster I've been watching Woolie from Super Best Friends play it on WoolieVS.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
As far as RPGs go I've never played ponyfinder, but I have Roan, some digital pathfinder stuff and all the current D&D 5e stuff alone with the tome of beasts. I'm currently a level 14 Fighter: Gunslinger (Matt Mercer Critical Role custom archetype). I hope we get some more 5e Eberron than the small update on the official site; Believe me I took a Dragonmark as a feat when I saw the new stuff. That being said if any of you like D&D I suggest you checkout D&D Beyond it's in phase 1 of the beta.

I've played a wide variety of table top games like King of Tokyo, House on Haunted Hill, and Arkham Horror, not to mention the classics. Currently I'm waiting for the first part of the Dark Souls Board Game to come in from the kickstarter. For games I don't have I like to watch episodes of Tabletop on Geek and Sundry and the old board James episodes. For Kingdom Death Monster I've been watching Woolie from Super Best Friends play it on WoolieVS.
Man you said you watched people play, i was hopeing you would add in URealms Live, but i dont blame you, its a small comunity in a huge world. (If you do join the discord group you will proboly hear me talk about it alot considering Season 3 of it is comming out) Welcom anyways, glad to see a new face in the nerdiest of the nerd herd.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains

So, it just so happens that there's a TFHs Tabletop Discord server (that's running a 5e as well as a Pathfinder game) and a Roan server as well.
Links if you're interested:
Roan
Thems' Tabletop Herds

GreySky-GodoftheMachine

Fear; The Shadow of Death
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 18, 2017
Cool thanks I'll be sure to check out URealms Live sometime... maybe it can help tie me over between Critical Roll episodes, and the D&D Pax events.

bonusjosh

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 2, 2017
Heyo! Just wanted to drop in and say hi really quick. It's super cool to hear ya guys mentioning Roan and the possibility of using some of the ideas for your RPs. Hope you've been enjoying the book/PDF so far! (One of the many Illustrators here for Roan!)

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Heyo! Just wanted to drop in and say hi really quick. It's super cool to hear ya guys mentioning Roan and the possibility of using some of the ideas for your RPs. Hope you've been enjoying the book/PDF so far! (One of the many Illustrators here for Roan!)
I thought your name sounded familiar. I have the feeling I've seen your work here and there. That said, you're free to hop on those servers and join in the festivities, and perhaps run a tabletop game of your own ;)

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I've finally been getting to play D&D for the first time over the past couple weeks (5th Edition). Helping a friend test out some homebrew stuff. It took a while to get used to the changes in 5e after becoming familiar with only 3.5, but overall I quite like it. Main thing that still throws me off is the de-emphasis on Feats.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I've finally been getting to play D&D for the first time over the past couple weeks (5th Edition). Helping a friend test out some homebrew stuff. It took a while to get used to the changes in 5e after becoming familiar with only 3.5, but overall I quite like it. Main thing that still throws me off is the de-emphasis on Feats.
On the one hand, I kinda like it, since many of the feats seemed more like micro-patches. On the other, some of those feats were just plain nifty. I for one liked my monks being able to fire watermelon-sized ki balls at people.
Or one could just be a Vow of Poverty Monk and enjoying be quasi-broken.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
On the one hand, I kinda like it, since many of the feats seemed more like micro-patches. On the other, some of those feats were just plain nifty. I for one liked my monks being able to fire watermelon-sized ki balls at people.
Or one could just be a Vow of Poverty Monk and enjoying be quasi-broken.
I do appreciate that you can now just do things that used to require feats, like two-weapon fighting and spring attack and especially weapon finesse.

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh umm I never said I was running a URealms game here did I, well I am and if you are interested the first campaign should start on next Saturday, its an easy system to learn, and quite fun. Its on the same Discord as the DnD and is TFH themed, all are welcome.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I played "Das Schwarze Auge" a long time ago with some friends regularly, it's a Pen & Paper Fantasy roleplaying thats realy popular here in Germany, afaik it's called "Realms of Arkania" in English speaking regions.