Pen & Paper and other Tabletop Games

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Well... I really only wanted to make a bear that was made of lava... but now I want whatever that monstrosity was.
Well given the context you probably wouldn't be able to play a predator... predators would probably be monsters only... then again some versions allows you to play monstruous adventurers...
Anyway! Depending on you class you could totally end up turning permanently into lava, you'd need to level up, it would possibly be a last level reward but you could do it! And before that you could get some temporary tranformations. I can think of at least one way of getting that result in Pathfinder using the regular rules and depending on how much we homebrew it there could be others.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Well given the context you probably wouldn't be able to play a predator... predators would probably be monsters only... then again some versions allows you to play monstruous adventurers...
Anyway! Depending on you class you could totally end up turning permanently into lava, you'd need to level up, it would possibly be a last level reward but you could do it! And before that you could get some temporary tranformations. I can think of at least one way of getting that result in Pathfinder using the regular rules and depending on how much we homebrew it there could be others.
So... probably make a shiny new character? got it. I'm thinking maybe a DIRTY STRIPE!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Care to explain why the stripe is dirty?
And maybe some quick explanation on character creation rules?

For Zero, in here there is an Android race, so you can start with that. We will just say it's a bear.
asdasd.png
Dunno about the race, but if Flammpaka could be a ghost that would be cool. And I've seen a class called Mesmer, can one start with that?

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas

For Zero, in here there is an Android race, so you can start with that. We will just say it's a bear.
View attachment 841
Dunno about the race, but if Flammpaka could be a ghost that would be cool. And I've seen a class called Mesmer, can one start with that?
Awesom, I'm an android using an Android!

Reactions: V.A.a.M.P.P

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Sounds like something a synth would say! :p
Anyway, I'm not sure I'm gonna be a zebra, there are so many other much cooler races I could choose from.
It depends on if you're doing point buy or rolling your primary statistics, but you set up your 6 primary stats, you pick a class and a race (order of any of these doesn't really matter btw), you pick spells if your class has them, you pick a feat, and you buy equipment.
I think you're talking about this class? The Mesmerist, there are a lot of classes, and this site should tell you about them if you look at the class list on the side. Mesmerist - Pathfinder_OGC

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Whoops forgot to actually insert the link into the previous comment. Yes, I was trying to talk about Mesmerists

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Whoops forgot to actually insert the link into the previous comment. Yes, I was trying to talk about Mesmerists
I also forgot to answer your question, yeah that's a class you can start as. Essentially, unless it is what's called a prestige class, you can start as it.

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
Thanks regardless, it's the thought that counts. Now to do some reading...

Edit: Oh God, so many numbers! This is gonna take some getting used to...
The numbers become easier to understand as you go, but they can be pretty intimidating to start out, not gonna lie.

Sounds like Pathfinder is the ruleset we're gonna use? I'm cool with that. In that case, for selecting race should I just pick from the available races and apply them to whatever 4 legged creature I see fit? Like human=horse, elf=paka, orc=cattle, somethin like that?

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
The numbers become easier to understand as you go, but they can be pretty intimidating to start out, not gonna lie.

Sounds like Pathfinder is the ruleset we're gonna use? I'm cool with that. In that case, for selecting race should I just pick from the available races and apply them to whatever 4 legged creature I see fit? Like human=horse, elf=paka, orc=cattle, somethin like that?
I've been meaning to ask about how we were gonna do races too, hmm, that is a tricky question.

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
I've been meaning to ask about how we were gonna do races too, hmm, that is a tricky question.
If ya gave me a lil time I could draft up custom races for the core 6 races, but I can't guarrentee they would be balanced, and it sounds like people are considering races outside of the mane 6 anyway. Otherwise an easy alternative would just be to use stats from the core races of pathfinder as we see fit.

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
I just came back to this thread today and speed-read the whole thing. Firstly, just let me say:
OHMYGOSHYESTHISISSOAWESOME

But somebody should really make a post with all the rules on it, so you don't have to read 60 individual posts to get the idea (like, are we using point buy, classic, 4d6 discard lowest, etc.). Otherwise,
Brb making character

Reactions: baxdab

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
I'll apply for the spot, but hopefully someone will contest me - kinda nervous around new people.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
If ya gave me a lil time I could draft up custom races for the core 6 races, but I can't guarrentee they would be balanced, and it sounds like people are considering races outside of the mane 6 anyway. Otherwise an easy alternative would just be to use stats from the core races of pathfinder as we see fit.
Hmm, I think I like the idea of making our own racial statistics is probably a better choice.
Has it been established who the DM is yet? I feel like whoever the DM is gonna be should set up all the rules for the campaign.
Makes sense.

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
Just some other suggestions:
- The "hold person" spell target should be changed to one animal creature, and be bumped up a couple spell levels (seeing as it's basically hold monster in this universe).
- Consider removing unarmed strikes triggering AoO's, since most races won't be able to fight with weapons (improved unarmed strike as a free feat, or otherwise consider unarmed attacks natural attacks)
- The BBEG / Final boss has to be the Devourer, obviously.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
More suggestions!
- Horse shoes, and other such items as unarmed weapons to replace weapons such as axes and swords which can't be used by most races.
- If we go with making stats for the races, pakas get diehard for free!
- not jumping straight to the devourer... possibly using the Hunter's "masters" as an idea for lesser badguys we fight.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I start as an Android that was meant to replicate BEAR anatomy because bears... were going extinct or some such nonsense to make me being a robo bear believable.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
I'll apply for the spot, but hopefully someone will contest me - kinda nervous around new people.
I forgot to say this earlier, but I'm not gonna contest you. I'm already gonna be DMing for a group, I don't need to juggle another. though when the DM is officially picked, I will likely need to converse with him.

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
More suggestions:
I approve of making custom stats for the races.
-I'd say given the circumstances all ungulates get hooves and bite attacks (with the longma bite being more efficient), sheeps, reindeer, cattle and unicorns get a gore attack too.
-Reindeers, Sheeps and Alpacas should probably get cold resistance
-Longmas get fire resistance, cold vulnerability an a fire breath and flight that can be upgraded through feats, they can possibly switch one of these traits to get a bonus on using fire magic or something

About classes...
Barbarian, Bards, Clerics, Druids, still works
Fighter is a lot more limited without access to weapons but I'm pretty sure you can make a unharmed fighter work
Monk, Paladin, still works
Not sure about Ranger, projectile weapons would be even harder to use than melee weapons, and I don't think the somewhat peaceful society of foenum would breed the whole "favored enemy" mentality
Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, still work
Alchemist... Could work
Cavalier... Probably wouldn't work, for obvious reasons
I'll say no to Gunslingers because as far as we know there is no such things a gunpowder in Foenum and I hope it stays that way
I don't know enough about Inquisitor, Magnus and Summoner to tell if they would fit
Vigilante could fit
Oracle and Witches works imo

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Warrior can still work, nothing says ungulates can't hold stuff. Or that we can't come up with stuff for them to use
(Flail of pestilence! It's a stick with a dead rat tied to it. It does minimal damage, but each hit has a chance to give you a plague)

Reactions: V.A.a.M.P.P

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
Tail weapons could work but I'm a bit skeptical about holding stuff... yes the lawyer friendly equines do it almost all the time but they're cartoon horsies, the inhabitants of foenum aren't exactly real but they are more realistic si I don't feel like giving them the possibility of using their hooves as hands.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
If push comes to shove they can always just duct tape them to their hooves. And by the by, why would equines use human weapons? They would have their own standard equine weapons!

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
More suggestions:
I approve of making custom stats for the races.
-I'd say given the circumstances all ungulates get hooves and bite attacks (with the longma bite being more efficient), sheeps, reindeer, cattle and unicorns get a gore attack too.
-Reindeers, Sheeps and Alpacas should probably get cold resistance
-Longmas get fire resistance, cold vulnerability an a fire breath and flight that can be upgraded through feats, they can possibly switch one of these traits to get a bonus on using fire magic or something

About classes...
Barbarian, Bards, Clerics, Druids, still works
Fighter is a lot more limited without access to weapons but I'm pretty sure you can make a unharmed fighter work
Monk, Paladin, still works
Not sure about Ranger, projectile weapons would be even harder to use than melee weapons, and I don't think the somewhat peaceful society of foenum would breed the whole "favored enemy" mentality
Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, still work
Alchemist... Could work
Cavalier... Probably wouldn't work, for obvious reasons
I'll say no to Gunslingers because as far as we know there is no such things a gunpowder in Foenum and I hope it stays that way
I don't know enough about Inquisitor, Magnus and Summoner to tell if they would fit
Vigilante could fit
Oracle and Witches works imo
As long as I can be an Artificer, we good.

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
If push comes to shove they can always just duct tape them to their hooves. And by the by, why would equines use human weapons? They would have their own standard equine weapons!
I have no problem with that but no matter what we decide if they can't hold weapons they'll have to affix them to their body somehow and it'll make it more difficult to disarm, volontarily or not, and possibly impede other things such as walking and running (unless the weapon in question is something like a horseshoe). So most weapon would probably trade practicality for damage, which isn't a bad thing per se, I just wanted to be clear on that.

I know my own characters are probably going to stick to their natural weapons...

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Natural weapons +3!
It does natural damage xd8, and just by unsheathing it it has a chance of charming opposite gendered characters. Or same ones. I don't judge..... (It's obviously a very nicely sculptured wooden mace, get your mind out of the gutter.)

Reactions: baxdab

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
I imagine equine weapons in this setting would either be akin to horseshoes, or affixed to the head/weilded with the mouth zoro style? Helms would probably be crafted with combat in mind, and would thus have stabby impliments.

Fencing would be rough like that, maybe the sword would be a giant pointy nose built into the helm. Beware the mighty Pinnocio, his skills in combat are unmatched!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Could have some kind of holey handle or mounted on the character's side (for pokey stuff) for four legged use. Three legs could give enough maneuvering and longer range charge could be done with the weapon mounted somewhere.

But we can also wield stuff like the: Arc Welder of Reach +2, xd10 damage, or can reduce mobility of an armored opponent. Reach gives you an extra 20cm reach. Or silly stuff like this. I like silly stuff.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Well well well. It appears I choose a bad day to be at work! Well then. Since I'm finally here:
I actually have a thing that allows for dice rolls directly in Discord. It's basically a bot that responds to dice roll prompts. I also volunteer for the GM spot, since I have a great deal of experience with 3e D&D, and if I understand correctly, Pathfinder is built off the same system. I'm also fairly lax when it comes to flavor for one's char. I also propose that we make some more or less rough race line-ups for the races presented (for example I'd vote that Unicorn = Elf or some such). That said, I suppose I'd have quite the bit of homework to do...

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Well well well. It appears I choose a bad day to be at work! Well then. Since I'm finally here:
I actually have a thing that allows for dice rolls directly in Discord. It's basically a bot that responds to dice roll prompts. I also volunteer for the GM spot, since I have a great deal of experience with 3e D&D, and if I understand correctly, Pathfinder is built off the same system. I'm also fairly lax when it comes to flavor for one's char. I also propose that we make some more or less rough race line-ups for the races presented (for example I'd vote that Unicorn = Elf or some such). That said, I suppose I'd have quite the bit of homework to do...
At least for two of the main races in Foenum, Unicorns and Goats, Pathfinder already has those via the third party races I shared above.

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
Awesome, looks like we have our DM! Pathfinder should be an easy transition, I went straight from 3.5 to pathfinder no problem. In terms of racial stats there's plenty of good stuff under ponykind we could use, and it seems like this website has some stats that the other website does not, like for griffons and deers. Griffon could be easily converted to Longmas, swapping out "Dive Bomb" for fire resistance and "Beak" for fire breathing.

EDIT:
I decided to skim through the thread and compile a list of people who seem interested in doing a campaign. The DM is currently OC unless someone else wants to volunteer.

DM:
OCisbestungulate

Interested Players:
Stridershy
baxdab
Mighty Alicorn Hunter
Avering
CrpCrwls (non-voice?)
0Zero100 (Must be able to participate on phone)
Queezeey

Might be Interested, but not yet confirmed:
V.A.a.M.P.P
Shadow of Death

Is that everyone?

Last edited:

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Awesome, looks like we have our DM! Pathfinder should be an easy transition, I went straight from 3.5 to pathfinder no problem. In terms of racial stats there's plenty of good stuff under ponykind we could use, and it seems like this website has some stats that the other website does not, like for griffons and deers. Griffon could be easily converted to Longmas, swapping out "Dive Bomb" for fire resistance and "Beak" for fire breathing.
There's a bit more work that would need to be done to the griffon template if we want a longma proper. Your probably better off looking up a dragon template, like the Half Dragon Half-Dragon (CR +2) - Pathfinder_OGC

Alternatively, we could write up custom races based on the races of Foenum, just for this campaign. Keep in mind however that'll also take a bit of work.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
There's a bit more work that would need to be done to the griffon template if we want a longma proper. Your probably better off looking up a dragon template, like the Half Dragon Half-Dragon (CR +2) - Pathfinder_OGC

Alternatively, we could write up custom races based on the races of Foenum, just for this campaign. Keep in mind however that'll also take a bit of work.
I would suggest instead to base the longma off of Ponyfinder's phoenix wolves... they even get flame wings later on. :p
Though seriously, I do think they'd be a good way to go to get something more on par with players that's firery and predatory like a longma. We will have to change where the racial ability scores go though, I don't think a minus to intelligence fits for them.
what does fit from phoenix wolves though is:
Fiery Pelt: Phoenix wolves have fire resistance 5
Fire Nature: Increase caster level by 1 if spell has fire descriptor, using Fire domain spells, using bloodline powers of the fire elemental bloodline, using the revelations of the oracle’s flame mystery, and determining the damage of alchemist bombs.
Fire Heart: Phoenix Wolves with a charisma of 11 or higher may use the following spell-like abilities once per day with a caster level equal to their character level: dancing lights, flare, prestidigitation, produce flame.
Battle Tactics: Pheonix Wolves have a +2 to attempts to feint, or to the DC against being feinted
There are also several feats that might be able to be repurposed for longma.