Palette Reference Guide

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
So, way back, last time I played there used to be a palette for Tianhuo in the beta, which had magenta fire, light blue body and no/white irises, seemed like an obvious reference to Sylvia from Wander Over Yonder, which made it my favorite palette, but now after looking through the palettes it's not there anymore, can any dev shed light on why it was removed?
That one was my decision. I liked the reference in the palette (I put it there in the first place), but when going through the palettes for polish and cleanup once we had final zones set, I felt the one-color + bold black outlines clashed too much with the rest of the game's artstyle and the other palettes. Pom's JB palette also nearly met the same fate. A few people have been asking about it, though, so I miiiiiiiiiiiight look into trying to get her back. She wouldn't be as "cartoony" looking as she was in the first iteration, though.

_L1pE_

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Thanks for the response, I personally would be very happy to see it back, in whatever form it may be.

Waverunner

Feb 25, 2018
I'm putting together a video with every palette, and reference that each palette makes. I already have the footage to edit, I just need a bit of help finding a few references. My goal is to make the ultimate resource for all the palettes. At this moment, I am currently going through Velvet's colors, and then going on to Tianhuo. Feel free to comment on the doc with your ideas.

Google Doc: Them’s Fightin Herds Color References:
Raw Footage:
Raw Footage (Pom's Dogs):

Balderdash

Spunty Tumblenug
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
I'm putting together a video with every palette, and reference that each palette makes. I already have the footage to edit, I just need a bit of help finding a few references. My goal is to make the ultimate resource for all the palettes. At this moment, I am currently going through Velvet's colors, and then going on to Tianhuo. Feel free to comment on the doc with your ideas.

Google Doc: Them’s Fightin Herds Color References:
Raw Footage:
Raw Footage (Pom's Dogs):
I might be able to help, then. I created the "Spark" color pallette for Tian as a reference to the character Undyne from Undertale, but. Did not know we could name our pallettes, so the devs just chose that name for it, I guess.

Neb

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
I might be able to help, then. I created the "Spark" color pallette for Tian as a reference to the character Undyne from Undertale, but. Did not know we could name our pallettes, so the devs just chose that name for it, I guess.
They seem to like making the reference title not too obvious. I think they like the guessing game. Speaking of which, I'm voidraz with the VIP pallette. I was kinda hoping someone would guess it, as it's not very obscure at all, but if you're needing the answer for your reference guide let me know. The shade of blue and the eyes are a pretty big hint. I know the right fan will get it pretty quickly.

Waverunner

Feb 25, 2018
They seem to like making the reference title not too obvious. I think they like the guessing game. Speaking of which, I'm voidraz with the VIP pallette. I was kinda hoping someone would guess it, as it's not very obscure at all, but if you're needing the answer for your reference guide let me know. The shade of blue and the eyes are a pretty big hint. I know the right fan will get it pretty quickly.
It seems very familiar to me, but I can't quite figure it out. You could private message it to me if you want.

Edit: Only character I can think of with a similar color scheme is Mystique from X-Men, but without any red on the character, I'm not too sure.

Last edited:

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
Excuse me, does anyone know what Velvet's "Maniacal Laughter" is?
The color scheme makes me think of Disney, but I'm not sure who it is. It reminds me of Scar from the Lion King because of the vivid green eyes, but the coat and mane colors are a bit off.
Velvet's "Below Zero" palette is Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat.
I was wondering about that one. I love using it just because it makes her look like some sort of ice demon.

Reactions: Yeena

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
I have insight on (Beachy Keen) because that's the palette my mom made. She was nice enough to back the game.

She just likes the beach a lot. So she chose colors based on the beach. Sand, ocean, the sun, etc. No real reference there, so not really spoiling anything.
She has good taste that resulted in quite the satisfying color coordination. As a Paprika main it's been my palette of choice ever since the early access release, and I'll combat any other alpaca brave enough to wish to claim it.

Reactions: Oreo

_L1pE_

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Not too sure I should really be posting this, but for the sake of being informative, it seems like the original intended reference with the "Smash!" Paprika palette is much weirder.
yuki.la/m lp/31943530#p31947268

EDIT: FFS, this word filter... Just remove the space between "m" and "lp" in the link.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Not too sure I should really be posting this, but for the sake of being informative, it seems like the original intended reference with the "Smash!" Paprika palette is much weirder.
yuki.la/m lp/31943530#p31947268

EDIT: FFS, this word filter... Just remove the space between "m" and "lp" in the link.
And now the pallet name has a whole new meaning. lol

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
Between this and a certain Arizona skin, I'm kinda conflicted.