Evo Online 2020 - Our Response

Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
Hello,

Last week was a lot, and it all happened very fast. We'd like to take the time to expand our thoughts on what's happened (and is still happening) in the fighting game community at large, and how we plan to help.

On Thursday we made a statement announcing our decision to pull Them's Fightin' Herds out of Evo Online 2020 in response to serious allegations of misconduct levied against EVO cofounder Joey Cuellar. The EVO team shortly thereafter decided to cancel the event. Since then, they announced the removal of Joey from the organization and a commitment to change. We're glad to see that they're listening and steps are being taken, but there will be a long road ahead. We wish Evo's new leadership well in their efforts to earn the community's trust again.

As for other ongoing situations, we will respect decisions made by community leaders in related games and events. Things seem rough right now, but despite all that's happened, we believe it will all lead to a safer and more accepting community.

Them's Fightin' Herds was built in part with the idea that fighting games can, and should, be enjoyed by everyone. We were excited for Evo Online and how it brought many fighting game fans into our community, and vice versa. With over 1300 entrants worldwide for TFH, we know all of you were just as excited to play as we were to watch. We want to keep that excitement going and give everyone a place to come together to help the larger fighting game community heal.

That's why we're hosting an event of our own. We're going to make it the largest online TFH tournament to date, and to help us pull it off, we've assembled a team of top community organizers who are already laying the groundwork.

Another announcement is coming with more info, including when this event will be, how to sign up, which regions will be able to sign up, and y'know... what the event will be called.

Please take care of yourselves out there. We'll share more soon.

Mane6

stupid goamt

goat complex
Jun 11, 2020
This decision felt right, even among the possibilities that the tournament could've been the make or break in terms of the game's popularity within and out of the FGC.
Separating toxicity from the 'everything else' is and will always be the justified position.

Meanwhile - I'll be looking forward to whatever wacky antics they's punchin' hooved mammals gets up to in its own tournament scene.

(allow oceania pls Mane6 plspls.)

Reactions: Erkicman

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sounds good! IDK if I'll be good enough to play, but at least I can cheer on the Pom players from the sidelines!

Menlo Marseilles

Jul 6, 2020
Will you be opening up for donors/sponsors to contribute to the tournament's prize pool?

I'm interested in contributing to it if so. I'd like to do what I can to help make this event a success, and as I see it, a fat prize pool would help attract some of those players who were planning to make their first tourney splash at Evo.

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
This is a great idea, thank you for taking a stance, we were all exited to see TFH on EVO but not with the situation around the company.

Great work as usual Team.

NerdiestKitty

Jun 12, 2020
LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not gonna be participating but you can be damn sure that I'll be watching
WOO I am so pumped up

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Will you be having the TFH game set up for tournament mode at the other online conventions around the world this year?