Open Toonz

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
New open source animation software based on Toonz 2d animation software!

Previously utilized by Studio Ghilbli since Princess Mononoke, Anastasia, Balto, and other films! Digital Video, the makers of TOONZ, and DWANGO, a Japanese publisher, announced that they have signed an agreement for the acquisition by Dwango of Toonz, an animation software which was independently developed by Digital Video (Rome, Italy). Toonz was a previously expensive program is developing an open source free version up for download THIS Saturday, March 26th!

(with a purchasable customizable version for larger companies as well)

Here's a link to their site with all of the information:

Digital Video | Home

So all of you budding animators out there who refuse and /or can't afford/run the expensive programs like TVPaint and Toonboom, etc this could be a great opportunity. Any one else interested? I know I am. :3

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I have never in my entire life animated, but I'll certainly pay attention to this. We might even catch some budding animator's insanities.

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I have never in my entire life animated, but I'll certainly pay attention to this. We might even catch some budding animator's insanities.
Right? Me neither. Seems like something to keep an eye on regardless though. :3

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Guess we'll see tomorrow. I'll add more to the description then maybe.

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Site and download is up for both windows and os. Gonna need some work to get this ready I think. The tutorials are in Japanese still... 'XP

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Looks like the User Forum for Open Toonz is up, so people can keep up with changes/fixes!