Online community and manners

luxuryyacht

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm really looking forward to the community aspect of TFH, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also apprehensive about getting verbally trashed by people as well.

Of course, good natured ribbing is fun, and I'd never want to suggest doing so was wrong. The thing is, what's appropriate is going to be different from person to person. I'd just like to remind everyone that we need to consider how what we say may affect those around us in game. If you don't know someone, try to keep interactions as positive as you can.

I know there have been games that I really enjoyed that I had to stop playing because I was too often insulted by the community.

Anyway, I look forward to hanging out with everyone and having some casual matches. GLHF.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I'm with this guy^^
It's too easy sometimes to see your opponent as just another AI. Let's do our best and keep respect front-row centre.
After all, kindness is a great icebreaker.

Reactions: Salty Beef

Illusion Melody

Just your everyday illusion magician
Feb 14, 2016
I agree. Most of the time I just ignore hateful comments, but it would be nice to have a positive community for TFH.

Reactions: AuruM

Cera Cyannis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 19, 2017
Agreed with completely, this game better not become as toxic and competitive as some other games I wont name, everyone here is chipping in to help make TFH a reality. We can fight eatchother in the game, but we literally do not have to fight eatchother.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
competitive
Careful with your wording here. Competitive is fine. Competitive is completely intended. This is a game that is intended to be taken seriously at a high level. There will be competitive players. There will be people tryharding. There will be people who get angry when they lose.

That is the fact of playing a game on the internet. There will be people who are unfortunately not nice. There are going to be people like that no matter what game you play, and that's why the line "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB" exists. You can easily manage this yourself by only playing with people you know, or only playing with people from this forum that have proven themselves to be nice people who won't go off on an insulting spree at a single loss or something. There is very little else you can do for any situation like this, but the best option has already been mentioned.

Most of the time I just ignore hateful comments
This is your best course of action no matter what. If someone is gonna be a jerk, ignore it, block them, whatever. Their loss, no one wants to play with someone like that. If anyone really has any concerns that you want to address, let me know, I'm around to discuss things.

Cera Cyannis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 19, 2017
Careful with your wording here. Competitive is fine. Competitive is completely intended. This is a game that is intended to be taken seriously at a high level. There will be competitive players. There will be people tryharding. There will be people who get angry when they lose.

That is the fact of playing a game on the internet. There will be people who are unfortunately not nice. There are going to be people like that no matter what game you play, and that's why the line "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB" exists. You can easily manage this yourself by only playing with people you know, or only playing with people from this forum that have proven themselves to be nice people who won't go off on an insulting spree at a single loss or something. There is very little else you can do for any situation like this, but the best option has already been mentioned.
What you say is true, any fighting game on the internet has a chance of having players become enraged, and will be avoiding said players who become sore, hoping that TFH will be as friendly as possible.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
What you say is true, any fighting game on the internet has a chance of having players become enraged, and will be avoiding said players who become sore, hoping that TFH will be as friendly as possible.
Any video game on the internet has this possibility. Do not single out fighting game players please, that's actually a bit disrespectful. Any time a game has online PvP play, there will be someone toxic and angry.

Cera Cyannis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 19, 2017
Any video game on the internet has this possibility. Do not single out fighting game players please, that's actually a bit disrespectful. Any time a game has online PvP play, there will be someone toxic and angry.
My appoligies, I mean no disrespect. I don't mean to single out players, and as mentioned previously will just ignore hateful comments.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Ah yes. This game truely is a clash of worlds. One of the most misrepresented fandoms on the internet meets one of the hardest-to-break-into gaming subcultures in history. I can't wait for the part where they realise that despite everything, both groups are generally pretty chill, and then they proceed to the happy friendship montage.

I'm being serious. I genuinely think this is what's going to happen. As much as I want this game to succeed financially, I also take solace in the fact that anybody spiteful enough to be a jerk probably won't even pick up the game in the first place. The player base is self-selecting in that regard. As for sore losers? Par for the course. Hopefully they're either humble enough to ask for training or sensible enough to realise they aren't having fun. Either way, not a concern for the rest of us.

This community is pretty cool so far. And sometimes a strong start is all you need.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
The player base is self-selecting in that regard.
Right, there's absolutely zero percent chance that someone is going to pick the game up because they think it will be filled with bad players that they could beat up on and enjoy making angry.

Sarcasm detected, I hope.

Yes, the current playerbase (the one visible here on the forums) is pretty niche. Pretty secluded in its own right, just from where the games roots are. That means absolutely nothing when the game hits the Steam storefront. There will be fighting game players who know nothing of the past works or past fanbase that will pick the game up and become part of the community. I am not trying to be negative in any way here, only to bring a very important point up.

The negative and toxic players will be here. Do not hope to yourselves that they will not be here. Don't trick yourself into believing that we will always have this perfectly crafted nice playerbase. There will be people who want to make you mad. There will be people who get mad. I want everyone completely prepared to handle this, rather than trying to convince themselves of a soon-to-exist wondrous nice-person haven. I don't want to have to deal with comments from people on the forums complaining about someone being angry at them for losing, or playing in a way just to aggravate their opponent, you're playing a video game on the internet, that is going to happen regardless. This is going to happen, there is nothing we can do to stop it, and the sooner everyone understand this and prepares for it, the better.

We all want TFH to do well, and for the community to be one of the better ones when it comes to the FGC. Keeping a positive attitude about bad players and not becoming disillusioned will work wonders.

Leatherface

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 27, 2016
'Online community' and 'manners' might as well be oxymorons. Fact is, people are @*#holes online. It's bound to happen that your going to run into some D-bells along the line. Will it be Escapist of Freedom Planet forum levels? I don't think so - community's been pretty good this far - but we'll have to see.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Right, there's absolutely zero percent chance that someone is going to pick the game up because they think it will be filled with bad players that they could beat up on and enjoy making angry.

Sarcasm detected, I hope.

Yes, the current playerbase (the one visible here on the forums) is pretty niche. Pretty secluded in its own right, just from where the games roots are. That means absolutely nothing when the game hits the Steam storefront. There will be fighting game players who know nothing of the past works or past fanbase that will pick the game up and become part of the community. I am not trying to be negative in any way here, only to bring a very important point up.

The negative and toxic players will be here. Do not hope to yourselves that they will not be here. Don't trick yourself into believing that we will always have this perfectly crafted nice playerbase. There will be people who want to make you mad. There will be people who get mad. I want everyone completely prepared to handle this, rather than trying to convince themselves of a soon-to-exist wondrous nice-person haven. I don't want to have to deal with comments from people on the forums complaining about someone being angry at them for losing, or playing in a way just to aggravate their opponent, you're playing a video game on the internet, that is going to happen regardless. This is going to happen, there is nothing we can do to stop it, and the sooner everyone understand this and prepares for it, the better.

We all want TFH to do well, and for the community to be one of the better ones when it comes to the FGC. Keeping a positive attitude about bad players and not becoming disillusioned will work wonders.
As much as I'd like to call you a negative nancy for pooh-poohing on our parade, you're not wrong. I've been on the internet long enough to know how reliably jerks pop up to ruin everyone's day. The point I was trying (and I guess failing) to make was that it would be fallacious to assume all FGCs are doomed to start off bad by their very nature. I'd like to think a community can start as "one of the better ones" and stay that way. If the TFH community goes bad, can't say we didn't get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Not that I'm an authority on the subject, I've never played a fighting game in my life.

Reactions: PinkieFTW

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
...ignore hateful comments...
Better avoid me then cause I'mma hit you with comments such as:
- That hairstyle is so unflattering
- Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries
- Your skills leave much to be desired
- Your mother is a classy lady but I think she would be disappointed by your performance
- You fight like a milk maid.

But honestly, I do not want the opposite of a toxic community. I do not want it to become a hugbox.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
There can always be players who are let's say not nice, but that is sadly part of humanity, mostly it helps to mute players in general, and in the Lobby everyone will probably able to report players who breake the chat rules.

Also all games handle this different, some add wordfilters and other remove the free chat completly like the Dragon Ball Xenoverse games, and only give players the option to communicate with predefined words and sentences for example.

luxuryyacht

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Included in my original post I mentioned that what constitutes appropriate interaction is a person to person thing.

I get that there will be ragers and trolls, but as a for instance, I don't want to be humiliated when I lose because I'm straight up not that good at fighting games. Rubbing that in discourages certain personality types from getting better or just plain enjoying the game at all.

Just asking that we consider the person on the other end of the game. If they don't seem like the type to trash talk, don't trash them until they feel forced to disable comms or abandon the community all together.

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
If you are worried about people being jerks, I'd start by playing with friends and adding strangers who had a good attitude to your friend list for future games.

Ultimately, you will occasionally run into people who taunt, teabag, etc, but don't let that put you off too much. It makes for some pretty funny comebacks, and at the end of the day you and the other player will both fall asleep forgetting the other person exists.

Cera Cyannis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 19, 2017
All I know that when it releases, expect some sour grapes, that's not preventable. As everyone have stated, be the better person, and don't let the jerks get to you, we are all here to have fun and support this great game.

I had a rocky start to these forums, but I just want to say what I ment above is the same as the rest of the others who commented here. Just be as respectful as you can, and ignore any hate you see ingame.

Reactions: Tox

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
I had a rocky start to these forums....
It's all good. I apparently can't figure out how to forum either. (It's apparently very unlike having a normal conversation.)
This forum community is generally very friendly and supportive though, so I imagine you're already forgiven.

As for what the TFH community will be like after launch, that's another matter, which is being well discussed in this thread.

Cera Cyannis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 19, 2017
It's all good. I apparently can't figure out how to forum either. (It's apparently very unlike having a normal conversation.)
This forum community is generally very friendly and supportive though, so I imagine you're already forgiven.

As for what the TFH community will be like after launch, that's another matter, which is being well discussed in this thread.
I hope so, anxiety is terrible sometimes, especially when you put so much work into something.

Indeed.