Oleanders life between BoL and game

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
One thing that has me puzzling was, how was Oleander living during the time between becoming a dark unicorn and the events of the game? She spent 13 years training with Fred in order to beat the predators, so much is clear. But what about her home in the Woodlands? In the lore entry her punishment at the time was hilariously low (go to your room and think about what you've done.) but I cannot fathom that afterwards the high priestess would have tolerated her keeping the Unicornomicon.

This would normally leave two options. The other unicorns were unaware of the unicornomicon and Oleander managed to hide it for many years or Oleander lived in exile, either as a more severe punishment or self imposed.

One other possibility though is, that the Order of the Horn is so incredibly set in their "let the Light mend things" mentality that they left Oleander be, albeit as an outcast, thinking that she will eventually see the error of her ways and return to the light.

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
I don't think they knew she had the Unicornomicon, if they did, they would have tried to exorcise her and destroy the book, the reason for her light punishment may be that she's a descendant of the Great Oracle Amarylis, which was apparently very important, and they can't bring themselves to actually punish her because of that.

Reactions: Valsion

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
Yes, they mentioned her having a famous ancestor. That brings us to the question though, how Oleander managed to train all these years without anyone ever learning of Fred. Even if she had a secret place for that, one of the other unicorns would have eventually gotten the idea to follow her to see what has corrupted her.

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
...One other possibility though is, that the Order of the Horn is so incredibly set in their "let the Light mend things" mentality that they left Oleander be, albeit as an outcast, thinking that she will eventually see the error of her ways and return to the light.
This. If Oleander thinks they'd be so confident that the Light would stop the predators from escaping the hold, then it stands to reason they'd think a teenage/young adult unicorn was "going through a phase" and would eventually drop the dark magic stuff.

As for Fred... how'd she even get her hooves on that book?

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
Also a good question. You'd think that the Order of the Horn would be pretty thorough in making sure nothing "heretical" would make its way near them. Since Fred can crawl around with one of his hands, there is always the possibility that he came to the Woodlands himself to seek out a potential student.

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
Reread the BoL, and...

"The bearded ones terminate their sanctimonious stares and, to Oleander’s horror, turn their backs on her. The entire herd follows suit, row by row, tail by tail."

Sort of answers the question about her training? Maybe the other unicorns just completely ignored her, leaving her free to train with Fred.

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
Thus far it seems like the most likely factor in Oleander not losing Fred after the big reveal would be a combination of the others distancing themselves from Oleander and having such a huge trust in the power of light that they don't think they need to interfere.

WereWeasel42

Feb 17, 2018
Texas
I always assumed she left the Woodlands. I don’t know why I thought that was canon, I can’t find anything about it now that I'm looking for it, but I always sort of assumed she’s was eventually banished and then wandered around while Fred taught her how to fight.

Yeena

local forum predator npc
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
straight outta wawa
twitch.tv
She also seemed to find Fred on her own before the BoL. Fred says "you sought me out" when he was doing the voice - her feelings on dark magic have always been a contentious point, looks like.

Now I'm imagining her and the high priestess getting into a row and Oleander trying to find this evil book goat man to prove her wrong.

Star Catcher

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The BoL mentions that Oleander had always believed that Dark Magic could be used for good. This alone would have seen her ousted; it was because she was the Divine Oracle's descendant that the Order was willing to turn a blind eye for as long as they had.

“Oleander, against the laws of the Order you have spoken out many times.”

Oleander’s courage suddenly appears, “Well I wouldn’t have to if the laws of the Order weren’t all ancient and short sighted! We believe only Light is good because that’s all we’ve ever been told. But I believe there is more good in the world than just Light. We should not be afraid of The Dark!”

“GAAASP!!!!!!!” goes the crowd, the biggest one yet.

“We,” the priestess interrupts, “have shown you patience because of your lineage and…” she pauses to swallow disappointment, “because of the potential we saw in you. You have shamed us.”

Oleander protests, “But –“

“GASP!” the crowd goes again.

“Seriously?”

“Oleander!” the priestess bellows, “Great granddaughter of the Divine Oracle Amaryllis! You have channeled that which is forbidden and broken the laws of the Order of the Horn! You stand in judgment!”