Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
This game just came out on steam today. I don't know if anyone else here ever played the PS3/PS4 version, but this game is a solid one. And if you own Skullgirls (which I'm sure most of us do), you probably got a coupon for a 25% discount.
Anyone else interested? It'd be fun to have someone to play with.

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Yeah I was going to ask what the !@#$ this game is...
I mean, they've got some top tier waifu bait from the looks of it, and I'm always down for top tier waifu bait.

But between all the other shit I want to buy and general loot boxes for other games (not just Overwatch) I don't know if I have the cash to blow on waifu bait.

Can someone explain to me the...
  • Plot
  • Characters (Any good waifus for beginners? Any waifus that will piss beginners off?)
  • Game-play style (How many waifus per team, general fighting style)
  • Unique mechanics (that would make me buy this game over UMvC3 on PC when it comes out)

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

SubrosianDimitri

Crowdfund Backer
To answer your questions in order:
1) You won't get the plot at all unless you're familiar with Nitroplus VNs, many of which weren't translated into english. On its own, the normal story mode is no different than your typical crossover fighting game. There is an extra story mode you unlock after clearing story mode once, which is similar to BlazBlue in that it's part Visual Novel and part fighting game. You play as different characters for each chapter, which can help you learn them.

2) 14 playable characters, 20 assist characters. I'm not sure about beginner characters, though Saber and Ruili seem to be pretty easy to pick up and play, but I'm not entirely sure. Characters you probably shouldn't play if you're unsure are Sonico and Saya. Luckily, if you're not sure which assists to choose, the game has recommendations for each character.

3) 1v1 matches. You pick your character and 2 assists who can be called in with a single button. General combat controls are as follows:
  • 4 attack buttons: Light, Medium, Heavy, and Heavy Action (seems to be the launch, but again, I'm not sure)
  • A dodge button of sorts, can be used to get behind your enemy or shield against attacks if you hold back when pressing it
  • A burst that cancels your current move, knocks your opponent in a certain direction depending on the direction you're holding, and for a short time refills your health and special bars
  • Everyone has a super attack a la Guilty Gear/BlazBlue that drains your whole special meter, but it doesn't get rid of it for the rest of the round
Special meters are divided into 3 segments, and there are mechanics other than just supers to drain it. Online is also really smooth, in the matches I've played, almost all of them had no input lag and minimal slowdown. No 2 characters have the same fighting style, so there's a lot of different ways to play depending on what you want to try.

4) There aren't really any mechanics I would call unique to the game, it just blends the best elements of other fighting games and executes them wonderfully. Some of the assists are pretty cool, and I don't think I've seen moves like those in other fighters (some of them can even hurt/benefit both sides). Think of it like Dragon Quest VIII (if you've played it), it doesn't innovate, but it does take what works about fighting games and polishes them wonderfully, just a damn fine game. It seems to be compatible with most controllers/fightsticks, but I don't entirely know (I have my trusty 360 controller).

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com

TigerKirby215

Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
I think I should probably drop this in here.
Nitroplus Blasterz System Guide + Frame Data Sites + Tier Lists + BnB Combo Vids + ENG-JPN Names
This is a system guide and a bunch of other related information and links for the game. There's also a list at the bottom of what characters would be easy to learn, as well as explanations of what the assist characters are good for. Just take a look, there's a bunch in there.
This is actually really helpful. Thanks! I'll be sure to look at it! :Paprika:

But... The assists...
How do they work? I'm only really used to Skullgirl's assist/swap mechanics. I assume since it's a 1v1 fighter you can swap to your chosen assists, but can they still be damaged (to stop them from attacking/deal damage to your health)? If you pick a specific character are there certain characters you can/can't pick as assists?

SubrosianDimitri

Crowdfund Backer
This is actually really helpful. Thanks! I'll be sure to look at it! :Paprika:

But... The assists...
How do they work? I'm only really used to Skullgirl's assist/swap mechanics. I assume since it's a 1v1 fighter you can swap to your chosen assists, but can they still be damaged (to stop them from attacking/deal damage to your health)? If you pick a specific character are there certain characters you can/can't pick as assists?
The assists are not playable. You press a button and they come in to perform an attack, buff, whatever.

Essentially, they're summons.

Also, you can pick any of them regardless of who you're playing as, so no worries about limitations.

Last edited:

TigerKirby215

Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
The assists are not playable. You press a button and they come in to perform an attack, buff, whatever.

Essentially, they're summons.

Also, you can pick any of them regardless of who you're playing as, so no worries about limitations.
I got that much by watching some footage of the game.
I currently rate this game 8 sweaty otakus out of 10.

I might buy, depending on how much money I get for Christmas and if anything else of interest comes up. It doesn't look overly complex.