Nintendo Pro Controller Support (It works!)

Franzyd

Feb 14, 2018
Goodday!
I'm a fanboy of Nintendo and the only controller I have is the Nintendo Pro Controller. After installing the game I tried out the controls. The game actually thought the controller is a fight stick and you could not input diagonal directions on the joystick, but it worked fine on the D-pad. That's bad of course (unless you want to use the D-pad), the solution?
Launch Steam Big Picture mode, go to settings, controller settings. Make sure that "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" is checked, and you'll be prompted to write the controller's name. After that, click on the Generic Gamepad under the Detected Controllers section, and click on "Define Layout". The mapping should look like this:
2018-03-01.png

2018-03-01 (1).png

The "Left Stick X" should be missing, so click on it and move the joystick to the left. Also note that the AB and XY buttons have swapped places (A to B and X to Y), so when mapping the button that appears to be the B button in the picture, click the A button.
Save and that's it! It should appear as a controller in the game, the only thing left is mapping the controls of the game.
Hope this helps you if you too don't have a different controller (the Pro controller is not that good for PC)

PS: The JoyCons work too, with no problems! Problem is, they're smol

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I've been using the wired one I have and it works fine after the installation, so if you don't have bluetooth or whatever connection method of connection the pro controllers use you should be fine as long as you have a free USB port. Although I think the reason steam switches round the A and B as well as the X and Y buttons is because it thinks you're using an Xbox controller, so it's setting it to that control scheme.

Franzyd

Feb 14, 2018
I've been using the wired one I have and it works fine after the installation, so if you don't have bluetooth or whatever connection method of connection the pro controllers use you should be fine as long as you have a free USB port. Although I think the reason steam switches round the A and B as well as the X and Y buttons is because it thinks you're using an Xbox controller, so it's setting it to that control scheme.
Did not know that you could connect the controller through USB. The only official option is through Bluetooth, but I guess modders found a way.

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Did not know that you could connect the controller through USB. The only official option is through Bluetooth, but I guess modders found a way.
It wasn't a mod I just stuck the controllers in and it just worked, although it didn't work with Fallout 3 just Fightin Herds so maybe it was put in by the game developers?

Last edited:

Franzyd

Feb 14, 2018
It wasn't a mod I just stuck the controllers in and it just worked, although it didn't work with Fallout 3 just Fightin Herds so maybe it was put in by the game developers?
Interesting... When I connect my Pro Controller, it does show up in TFH and it is detected by the computer and Steam, but no button or joystick work, there's just no input. I've searched the internet and the only ways I found to connect thru USB is by using other programs, not just by plugging is in

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Interesting... When I connect my Pro Controller, it does show up in TFH and it is detected by the computer and Steam, but no button or joystick work, there's just no input. I've searched the internet and the only ways I found to connect thru USB is by using other programs, not just by plugging is in
Strange, although I'm using one of the controllers thats wired only that might make a difference?