Nintendo General

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
Hey I picked that up on launch, its actually really good so far, much better than gates to infinity turned out

Also all these people playing splatoon, I need to play splatoon one of these days and actually get somewhere with it ;-;

But for reals, I cant wait to get my hands on this gorgeous thing

Got mah pre order down for it and all. gonna be a really nice addition to my collection
I'd like that thing so much more if it came with a red or blue body to match the plates. They still look pretty awesome, but still.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Has anyone else here been playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dundeon lately? I haven't finished the story mode, so don't spoil. I'm playing as Snivy and my partner pokemon is Fennekin. ^u^
I went as Cyndaquil and Pikachu (my old time) and I had quite a lot of fun immersing myself in the experience!

Immersion intensifies the story maybe too much I felt too many emotions

TwistedSheep

A sort-of-artist
Backers' Beta Tester
Has anyone else here been playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dundeon lately? I haven't finished the story mode, so don't spoil. I'm playing as Snivy and my partner pokemon is Fennekin. ^u^
Yes I have and its a wonderful game that I loved i spent hours in and am still finishing up the last few poststory bits I love all the references. And I'm a Turtwig partner is a Mudkip :d

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Played SMD myself. I'm not sure whether this one or EOS is better though.

I chose to be Riolu and my partner was Pikachu. Good game. I still need to finish up all the postgame dungeons, though all the new games coming out is getting in the way of that.

didyousaythat

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I've really been feeling xenoblade recently. That style of RPG combat just seems so attractive to me. I also play smash whenever I get the chance, typically like an hour a day. I'm really looking forward to the Bayonetta 2 re-release and Fire Emblem Fates.

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Stuck on Super Mario Maker whenever I have the time, I make such trash levels Oh man

I'll share my wiiu FC later when I can
I've a 3ds too, but haven't been playing anything on it lately

On another note, I can't wait to get splatoon, hyrule warriors, and xenoblade chronicles X someday
Hyrule Warriors is an excellent game, although I wasn't a huge fan of Splatoon

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I've really been feeling xenoblade recently. That style of RPG combat just seems so attractive to me. I also play smash whenever I get the chance, typically like an hour a day. I'm really looking forward to the Bayonetta 2 re-release and Fire Emblem Fates.
I loved Bayonetta 1 and 2, some of my favorite games of all time

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Eh. Xenoblade Chronicles X was good enough, but it wasn't great. Story was super disjointed and repetitive, most of the characters aren't particularly unique or exciting, the game is terribly unbalanced, and the story answers precisely one of the many questions it brings up.

But it did get me to sink over 100 hours into it, so it must have done something right.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I keep saying I'm going to get a Wii U, but it hasn't happened yet. There are a handful of games on it that I'd love to play, but I just have so many games in my backlog that I can't justify getting a new console.

I do have my Wii hooked up, and I got a used Game Boy Player recently, so my GameCube got to come out of retirement. I just haven't been playing many games in general for the last few years (and yet I keep buying more).

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My cousin said he'll let me borrow his Wii U to play Xenoblade Chronicles X for probably a week or 2. I'll likely ask him on March.

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
My cousin said he'll let me borrow his Wii U to play Xenoblade Chronicles X for probably a week or 2. I'll likely ask him on March.
A week or two isn't nearly enough time to get invested in Xenoblade, it is a massive game

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
It's like a 100 hour game. The problem is that you need to do side questing and exploring. If you don't you'll end up severely under-leveled and underpowered for the story missions to the point of being impossible.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
It's like a 100 hour game. The problem is that you need to do side questing and exploring. If you don't you'll end up severely under-leveled and underpowered for the story missions to the point of being impossible.
Alright, that's something I can still get into.

TheTrainingDummy

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
California
Welp, I decided to do everything in SPMD, and I just finished the Meowth theater 99 floor dungeon, no starting items, Level 5. It was surprisingly difficult.
I hoarded so many items, I had a full page of extremely rare tms, some joy seeds and other stuff I've never seen before. Found out I couldn't keep any of them XD. Kind of sad...

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Eh. Xenoblade Chronicles X was good enough, but it wasn't great. Story was super disjointed and repetitive, most of the characters aren't particularly unique or exciting, the game is terribly unbalanced, and the story answers precisely one of the many questions it brings up.

But it did get me to sink over 100 hours into it, so it must have done something right.
Your opinion on the game sounds similar to ZP review.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116751-Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-Review

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
How long is the main story though? If the side missions are like the ones from the previous game I might not get into it that much.
Well some of the story missions require you to be a certain level before you can do them, and some of the boss fights can be brutally difficult if your under leveled

linkster

Certified Paprika Main™
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I recently grabbed Fire Emblem Awakening, and i'm really enjoying it so far. Was a somewhat unpleasant surprise when I learned reinforcements spawned and moved in the same turn, and I now have a crippling fear of Pegasus knights.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
(you should totally join us on the Fire Emblem thread)

what difficulty are you playing? I'm actually just know finishing up the game for the third or fourth time in preparation for Fates.

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
MOAR KIRBY GAEMS!

*throws confetti at everyone*

Seriously though it looks like a better Triple Deluxe, and I'm entirely ok with that since I loved Triple Deluxe.

In other news, Kirby amiibos! Though I have most of those characters already from the Smash line, I'm ok with variants. The Kirby line Kirby amiibo looks even better than the Smash line does. Though Dedede looks a bit wonky to me.

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
My copy of The Legend of Zelda: Bookworm Hoers Princess HD came today. I haven't played it yet, though I might play a few hours later.
Also, the Wolf Link amiibo is probably the most gorgeous amiibo to date. I actually thought it was a bit ugly in the pre-release artwork, but seeing it in person it is amazing. A TON of detail was put into it.

Reactions: Siyray

Siyray

An Artist he thinks
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
alixnight.deviantart.com
My copy of The Legend of Zelda: Bookworm Hoers Princess HD came today. I haven't played it yet, though I might play a few hours later.
Also, the Wolf Link amiibo is probably the most gorgeous amiibo to date. I actually thought it was a bit ugly in the pre-release artwork, but seeing it in person it is amazing. A TON of detail was put into it.
Yeah, I got my copy as well. Been playing it since it arrived. Wow, this game looks good. There's so many little things thay changed to make it better.

Paper Shadow

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Agreed. Is it really so hard to make it like Thousand Year Door, only better!?
It's less of a question of if it is so hard or not, and more of the fact that they don't want to make another Thousand Year Door (I've underlined some of the more interesting quotes if you just wanna flick through it quickly)...

Iwata
Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?

Tanabe
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Iwata
That's a difficult task. In some ways that would be the exact opposite direction from recent games in the series.

Tanabe
Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario (24) game in Club Nintendo (25), and not even 1% said the story was interesting. A lot of people said that the Flip (26) move for switching between the 3D and 2D dimensions was fun.

24. Super Paper Mario: An action-adventure game released for the Wii console in April 2007.

25. Club Nintendo: A free, members-only point service run by Nintendo, begun in Japan in 2003, and 2008 in the US. When members purchase applicable software or game systems, register the serial number on the Internet, and respond to post-game surveys, they earn points and can exchange a corresponding number of points for special, not-for-sale items.

26. Flip: A move that Mario can use to switch between 2D and 3D maps with a single button.

Iwata
That project came together because of that idea. Kudo-san, you were in charge of the script, so what did you think about whether a story was really necessary or not?

Kudo
I originally saw it in a way that's similar to Miyamoto-san. Personally I think all we need is to have an objective to win the boss battle at the end of the game. I didn't think we necessarily needed a lengthy story like in an RPG. Instead, we looked at the characteristics of a portable game that can be played little by little in small pieces and packed in lots of little episodes and ideas. I always did like putting in little ideas, so I actually enjoyed it.

Iwata
It was just what Kudo-san wanted.

Kudo
Yeah.

Iwata
When it comes to characters, in the session of "Iwata Asks" covering Super Mario Galaxy, Miyamoto-san said that he was finally able to put the essence of Mario into words for the first time.

Tanabe
Yes, he did.

Iwata
He says that a Mario-like design follows from function, so when something otherwise comes into the mix, it doesn't feel right.

Tanabe
You understand the character from its design—like it has spikes, so stepping on it will hurt.

Iwata
When people vaguely sense something like that and can use logic to explain it, they want to share it. So talking about a Mario-like design might have been a big deal to Miyamoto-san at the time! (laughs)

Tanabe
But being unable to use new characters is pretty strict. Of course, we could not make any new enemy characters, and as for allies among the Super Mario characters, there's really only Toad in various colors!

Kudo
But personally, the more restrictions there were, the more excited I got. They may look the same, but we put in some elements in which their personalities are slightly different, so you can tell the difference and you think, "Hey! Are you that Toad from back then?" Toward the end of development, I could feel that I became one with Toad! (laughs)

Tanabe
You can't forget them, like when they have a bad personality, even though their faces are the same.

Everyone
(laughs)

Kudo
In addition to red, there are blue and green Toads. However, we held all but the red one in reserve, so we had to think carefully over when to use them. When we decided to put the ranger (27) in the forest, there was a weird vibe, like, "Green Toad…you're up!" (laughs)

27. Ranger: Some who protects the forest, as in a Park Ranger.

Iwata
Creatively, restraints aren't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of new attractive features come out of that.

Tanabe
That's right. At first, we were making a lot of individual allies as in a regular RPG, but when we decided to focus on stickers, in order to make a clear change with previous games in the series, it was like we started all over again by throwing out the system—including those characters—that we had made up to that point.

Iwata
You purposefully threw out the basic RPG structure.

Tanabe
Yes. We decided to make it so that players would face stronger opponents by throwing out the whole concept of experience points and levels in favor of gradually gathering stronger stickers.

I had actually been thinking for a long time that I wanted to get rid of the RPG experience points. In the Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (28) game, which Kudo-san and I worked on together, the player-character didn't develop at all. We adopted a system whereby they solved everything with money.

This time, we decided to do everything with stickers. We decided on a system whereby in battle, instead of attack commands, you fight by using the stickers you have gathered in the field or bought in town.

28. Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland: An RPG released for the Nintendo DS system in September 2006. This game was not released in North America.

Iwata
That's why we call it a "sticker battle adventure."

Tanabe
Right. The stickers have all kinds of offensive abilities, so sometimes you can easily win by thinking about applicability to certain enemies and using them in combination.

Iwata
I see.
Iwata Asks: Paper Mario: Stick Star (3: Abandoning the RPG Structure)

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
The issue is that no one liked Sticker Star and Paper Jam was boring.

Like, TTYD was nearly perfect. When they deviated, it flopped. I get that they don't want to just release barely changed sequels, but they're making changes in all the wrong areas.

...i need to replay TTYD.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I knew that was gonna happen.
So we can't even write the WORD!?
How about Bookworm Hoers Town from Kingdom Hearts?
(I already tried this one) Bookworm Hoers the book series with moody vamps?
The Bookworm Hoers ZONE, AMAZING show and... made me question reality a few times as a kid...
Ugh, I regret nothing Mod who has to censor this, just know that...

Edit: AHA! I knew it! It changes it automatically, my theory was correct! Now to breach the system... now if only I could find a rubber duck at this time of the night...

Double Edit (So I don't make the thread derail): ((Well, anymore than I already derailed it...)): I've tried very little Nintendo games outside of Mario and The Legend of Zelda, however, a while ago my cousin bought a wii... smash happened... and we shouted at the top of our lungs... needless to say, we love it. Never got around to playing any other smash other than the first one, Brawl is good, 4 looks to be more for convenience, and melee just seems too fast for me. (Ironic because I "Main" Sonic in Brawl.)

Last edited:

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Never posted in this thread before but I'd thought I'd let you guys know... Nintendo tweeted NX preview tomorrow (Oct. 20) 7am pacific/10 am eastern time! Might wanna unsubscribe from game news to avoid spoilers.

Reactions: V.A.a.M.P.P

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
I'm not really a huge Nintendo fan but I did see that news. I'm actually pretty curious to see what the deal is with the NX so I might tune in and take a look.

Edit: So the Switch, huh? Looks interesting, but what really caught my eye was the backing from all the third-party supporters. That's what Nintendo has been missing, and to see all those companies was great. I'll have to keep a tab on this one.

Last edited:

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
So they basically made a handheld into a home console? Not exactly new, and has a high chance of flopping if it can't deliver in performance or battery life, but not bad so far. We will just have to see.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
I'm ecstatic over the Nintendo Switch. This is gonna' be bigger than the Wii was... If the trailer was any indication it looks like Nintendo isn't gonna' shy away from mature titles.
-Bethesda has confirmed that they're working on titles for the Switch but they haven't specified what titles. I'm willing to bet we'll see Skyrim LE, Fallout 4, Dishonored Definitive, and Dishonored 2. With the possibility of Prey, Fallout New Orleans, and Elder Scrolls 6 during it's lifetime.
-Bandai-Namco are on board, does this mean they'll break their streak of Playstation exclusive Tales titles? Could we finally see the long-awaited localization of Tales of Vesperia Perfect? On the Switch? Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.
-From Software! That means there's a damn good possibility of a Dark Souls title on the Switch with a remote possibility of Bloodborne.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
I'm still not entirely sold. "We made your console easier to steal!" and "every component might require its own batteries!" aren't exactly prime promotional material. Also never been excited to play Bethesda's This-needs-18GB-of-mods-to-be-playable games in console, where mods are almost never an option.

It'll all depend on the specs (what quality is that screen really?, is it at 30fps, 60fps?, and how long is the battery gonna last with that?) and how incredible or underwhelming the new Zelda (which is honestly the main and basically only reason for me to purchase) is. Not quite impressed so far there either.

But hey, at least they didn't name it Wii<something> - For a while there, I was entirely expecting them to announce the WiiN.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Well, aren't you a downer? The reason they've always stuck with cartridge systems on their mobile platforms is because CD readers are power-eaters. Sony tried a handheld system that used a CD reader and it's battery life is awful, it burns through it's battery even when it's off. Gaming devices these days have rechargeable built-in battery packs or an option to buy one. In this case, investing into a built in one that can be swapped out if the need arises by the consumer would be the best decision. And be completely honest here, when you're fully immersed into a gaming session does the Frames per Second thing really matter? In all honesty, IMO resolution and frames per second are the last things on my mind when I'm gaming.

By the way, wouldn't it be weird, funny, and awesome all at once to see a Thems Fightin' Herds port on the Switch?