Newish to fighting games, how do I learn?

PhantomFox

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Maryland
I've watched a lot of people play, but I'm not sure how to learn and practice. I thought there was a combo tutorial somewhere but I can't find it? Anything I should do besides raid the character threads and learn combos?

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I just posted this on Twitter, b/c I saw a lot of people don't know what to do without a tutorial. Learning the defensive mechanics is REALLY important! Even if you don't get a chance to practice defense (just see if you can do the commands while blocking the computer), you should at least know that they're there.

MisterRockett

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
There are a lot of little nuances to learn that are fundamental to basically any 2D fighter but here's the basic "game"
Standing block blocks mid and air/overhead attacks.
Crouching block blocks mid and crouching attacks.
Air and overheads are typically slower and easier to react to than crouching so always make crouching block your default when on the defensive. And use those options to mix up your opponent and apply pressure.
Grabs also beat a blocking opponent but they tend to get beaten out by attacks. So there's an additional rock paper scissors game on top of the high low game.
That's more or less all you need to get started. Pick a character you like and have fun.

Last edited:

Tribble

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Germany
What does Cross Canter do?

EDIT:

And now back with an actual answer to your question! I'm not very good myself, but I started out really crap and have improved a bit, so. :D

Training mode has a lot of options and those can be pretty overwhelming, but the most useful as a beginner I found these:

Combo trials (go into training mode, bring up the menu, select combo training -> combo trials). Start with the first and work your way through them. If you can't make a combo work, you can turn on "slow motion" from the training options menue. Go as slow as you need until you understand which keys you have to hit in which order, then bit by bit get faster again. Also, there's an option that displays your inputs as you're doing them; those can help you figure out where you went wrong with something.

Learn to block: In training mode, set the training dummy to "AI" (you have to scroll down the trainings options a bit to see this) and then do nothing else except trying to block, or moving around and trying to block. You might have to tweak the AI difficulty level a bit for this. If you haven't found that setting yet, it's from the game's main menu under options -> game options. I found "normal" a good pay-off between the AI constantly trying to attack you but not going into long combos, but YMMV. Again, make use of the slow motion option to learn to read your opponent's actions. (I'll have to do this myself again to find out what Cross Canter does. ;))

I also found it extremely useful to play through arcade with laughable difficulty settings because when faced with a respectable opponent, I would just panic and start to button-mash and forgetting all my combos and stuff. Playing on Sleep-Trot or Easy helped me to relax a bit and trying to think about what I'm doing. I still button-mash a lot, but I am getting better at this.

Targets Practice is also pretty fun and helps with precision and thinking about what moves work best in what situation.

Last edited:

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Thank you for the advice on where to begin. Last time I tried to practice this game, I really wasn't working on the defensive moves, so following your advice I think I'll try again and focus more on those.

What does Cross Canter do?
I'm wondering too - or, in what kind of situations can/should a move like that be used?

Snivian Moon

How I mine for combo?
Backers' Beta Tester
I could be wrong about this, but I believe "Cross Canter" is what is sometimes referred to as "Dead Angle" in other fighting games (Particularly Guilty Gear).

Essentially what it does is allow you to attack while blocking. If you press :6::+::atkatk: while you are currently in blockstun (That is, you are blocking an opponent's attack), then your character will flash green and counter-attack through the opponent's offense. It will knock them back and give you some breathing room if the opponent is really going in heavy with the close rush attack.

Note that I believe Cross Canter requires one-half of one bar of your super meter to execute, so it's not something you can do all the time, and should be employed strategically!