Music Discussion Thread

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
So the stage themes and variations have been available for a while now, but with the release of the game, RC88 and Whitetail have put out all the character themes as well on Stuart's Bandcamp. It's available for purchase for $10 USD.

So give them some love! Or not love, if you're so inclined. But they're sure as hell getting love from me.

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Do the character themes play in-game? I remember reading about how they were made as the basis for the Dynamic Music System, but they are too good to not have during battle.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Do the character themes play in-game? I remember reading about how they were made as the basis for the Dynamic Music System, but they are too good to not have during battle.
As far as I'm aware, the character themes are not in the game. The closest they come is in the character select, which uses the most prominent motif from their song.

Something else I've noticed; the idle music isn't yet being used for... idling. It's only in the training stage so far. Low priority I'm sure, but hopefully that gets put in soon.

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I mean, technically a lot more Oleander's song is heard in the Woodlands final round theme. Makes me wonder what it would've been like if similar things were done for the other stages. I can think of parts of Arizona's song that would've made a SICK final round theme for the Prairie, for example.

But yeah, it would've been a LOT more work for Stu and Whitetail.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Something else I've noticed; the idle music isn't yet being used for... idling. It's only in the training stage so far. Low priority I'm sure, but hopefully that gets put in soon.
Training Mode seems to be the entire point for the Idle versions. Getting them to play in-battle would require two players just not doing anything for a while. Wouldn't they much rather be... fighting each other? lol.

Regardless, damn I love the music for this game and I will listen to it always. Eager for that future "Complete" version of the soundtrack. I'm a little dismayed that the "Best Ofs" doesn't have Final Round themes, though, because they're pretty slick, especially Huoshan and Woodlands.

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Training Mode seems to be the entire point for the Idle versions. Getting them to play in-battle would require two players just not doing anything for a while. Wouldn't they much rather be... fighting each other? lol.
They actually showed the two players standing still mid-fight in one stream, and the music changed to the idle mix. So I'm pretty sure the idle music was intended to play when both players stand still.

Franzyd

Feb 14, 2018
Something different: I can't find the Menu Theme audio file in the game folder. I've tried searching .wav, .ogg, other audio file extensions, I even found a menutheme.gbs file that looked like it was a Game Boy Sound System file, but I downloaded a player supporting that and nothing.
It's hidden somewhere...

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
They actually showed the two players standing still mid-fight in one stream, and the music changed to the idle mix. So I'm pretty sure the idle music was intended to play when both players stand still.
I do recall this, but I also recall it took a comically hilarious long time for the idle music to kick in. So either make it a lot faster, or just don't put it there at all, really.

beta

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 24, 2016
The issue with the idle music during fights is that
1) it consumed a lot of memory (which can contribute to game instability)
2) it almost never happened.
3) if we made the timer short enough for it to happen often, it was super awkward when it did.

so... not worth it imo.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The issue with the idle music during fights is that
1) it consumed a lot of memory (which can contribute to game instability)
2) it almost never happened.
3) if we made the timer short enough for it to happen often, it was super awkward when it did.

so... not worth it imo.
Huh. Good to know! I think idle themes fit perfectly as Training Mode stage music, anyway. They add to the atmosphere, as odd as that sounds considering it's just Training Mode.

indie_animator

Mar 10, 2018
Bay Area, CA
tangerinepop.com
Been listening to the OST posted by IcyDeer on iTunes for a while.
But I may check out the link in the OP to buy music.
Did that for the composer of Double Dragon Neon. (fantastic OST)

How do you all rate the themes?

My favs by far are- Huoshan (many variations- and man, do they rock) & Meadow.

Funny thing about The Meadow is that it's very catchy, yet ridiculously peaceful for fighting to.
Reminds me of Maplecrest stage from Skullgirls in that way, except even better.

Last edited:

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
The music is perfect as it is IMO. All the character variations alone make it insane just how many different tracks the game has, when taking them into account. Really impressive too, considering it all fits together so well despite the different styles. Props to your sound guy or gal.

indie_animator

Mar 10, 2018
Bay Area, CA
tangerinepop.com
I bought three tracks off iTunes! Tianhuo (still need to look up the pronunciation on that name) theme and stage and Pom's stage.
Thought about the $10 deal on the site in the OP, but am really picky and just wanted some tracks.
Might get Arizona's stage as well. Great stuff.

Funny that many major games, such as SFV don't even have their OSTs on iTunes, yet smaller games do!

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The official stage theme tracks unfortunately have way too short length for my taste, I wish they had at least one more loop so their length was comparable to character themes (~4 minutes). Also while I understand that composers may not be considering predators theme as one of the best in their work, but I'd certainly like it to be available in OST.

Reactions: Pom d'or