Movies You...

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
...Hate that everyone else loves
...Love that everyone else hates

Made in the same vein as the "Games You..." thread here Games You...

Please, no opinion bashing. Let people speak their minds and give no ill will towards those with differing tastes.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'll go first

Former
- Frozen. I don't think it's a terrible movie, but I dont think it's as good as people say it is. The songs were forgettable (except for the one that everyone sang to death), the rock trolls were utterly useless, the "strong female characters" consisted of a nervous wreck and a naive dumbass. The only thing I liked (surprisingly) was Olaf even though when it comes right down to it, he's more useless than the rock trolls. He does nothing to advance the plot and was made solely for merchandising.
- Spaceballs. I don't think most the jokes hold up very well after multiple viewings. It was funny the first time and there is one or two good jokes that still hold up, but all in all, I think Mel Brooks has done much better, much more deserving work.
- Rocky Horror Picture Show. I don't feel there's a method to the madness. I've watched this movie twice, first with a group of people who loved it, then again by myself and I just personally don't see the appeal with or without a crowd.

Latter
- Avatar. While no means a cinematic masterpiece and an Oscar worthy film, I found it entertaining to watch. The story is told well, the CG is amazing (which was the majority of the reason the film was made in the first place), and I find it entertaining enough to rewatch it every so often.
- Avengers 2. Not sure where all the hate comes from in this to be honest. I can understand the random romance between Black Widow and Hulk to a point, but I felt it didn't belittle BW in any gender stereotype that interfered with her being the same kick ass character we've seen throughout the Marvel films. But other than that, I thought the film was fine.
- Brave. I've recently heard of people not liking this movie and I don't really see why. While I did notice that the film does a but of a jump halfway through, I felt that the message was consistent throughout the entirety of the film and that the two pieces were combined well enough to make it hard to notice the jump.
- The Good Dinosaur. Speaking of Pixar, I've noticed a lot of hate for this too. I won't say it's Pixar's best, but it's certainly not their worst. I've heard a lot of people compare it to The Land Before Time with LBT being the better of the two, but to be honest I think Good Dinosaur is better. By focusing on only two characters, it's easier to develop the relationship between them. LBT is still good, but I feel like it doesn't develop the relationship between the characters as much because there's so many of them and the film doesn't have enough time to show them interact with one another, Spike being the best example who literally starts following the group because Ducky baits him with food. Anyway, while Good Dinosaur had a couple plot threads that didn't go anywhere and had no idea how to market itself, I thought it was at least a C+/B-. Nowhere near as much as I've heard others hate it.
- The Hobbit Trilogy. While no means as good as LOTR, I enjoyed the majority of the trilogy and felt that it was done very well considering the source material not honestly giving much to work with for 3 films and the limited time given to Peter Jackson to make them. The music is fantastic, the characters are likeable, well developed, and easy to tell apart (in the case of the dwarves), and the story is still enjoyable and well-told.
- Man of Steel. Heard very divisive opinions on this film and I'm definitely in the like category. The action was great, the music was fantastic, the story was interesting especially in how they handled Zod and Krypton. As someone who still likes the first 2 Superman films (RD cut for 2), I thought this was a good standalone comic adaptation. (BVS was still God awful though)
- Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3. I found 2 and 3 to be enjoyable to watch. I will admit that 2 drags at the end and 3 is a bit convoluted, I still enjoy watching these every so often for the sake of the action, music, and Jack Sparrow's antics and personality. However, I cannot stand Pirates 4. Ugh.
- Star Trek Into Darkness. Yes, it is just an AU rehash of The Wrath of Khan, but God damn is Cumberbatch amazing to watch as a villian. HE'S SO GOOD! Plus the action is still super fun to watch, the story is still well told, and the rest of the characters are still incredibly likable. I don't think that a rehashed story is enough to make a film suck when it does everything else so well.
- Tron Legacy. Everyone holds the original Tron up on such a high pedestal when in reality, it wasn't that great of a film to begin with. It wasn't terrible, but it was a typical product of the times, slow in quite a few instances, and honestly not that memorable. I'm not gonna say that Legacy was the picture of the year, but I will say that it was a film made for the sake of using the 3D CGI effects that we had at the time to create a visual effects spectacular (which you can argue was the exact same reason the original was made) and I feel it did just that. The story was competent and easy to follow, the action was entertaining to watch, and the Daft Punk score was one of the best parts of the film and fit it to a friggin T.
- The Dark Knight Rises. There's no denying that The Dark Knight was the best of the Nolan trilogy, but I honestly don't understand why some people hate Rises so much. Besides a couple small plot holes, I felt the film was fantastic. From the action, to the music, to the villains, to the story. A+ in my book. A- at least.

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hate that everyone loves.

Equilibrium - Holy crap, I really, truly do not get the slightest whiff of any reason why anyone would love or even like this pile. Everything from the action to the acting to the plot and whatever philosophy is supposed to be in place here are all AWFUL. Even the gunkata stuff, which sounds awesome on paper is driven straight off a cliff when it's not once shown to be mobile (like the explainatory bit showed it should be) and simply consists of lifting one's legs and aiming badly and is then abandoned at it's core with the main character just moving normally and not getting hit because reasons. Then it hits the crescendo of stupid with it's final battle being not a lightning fast dance across a wide space with ammo count and terrain positioning as major concerns (as it should be when two gunkata masters fight) but is instead a regular fight scene with gun punching because I guess anything else would be too hard to understand.

Anchorman/Zoolander - I laughed exactly once in each of these. This is not a good strike rate for a 90 minute long 'comedy'.

Love that everyone hates.

Cars series - With the exception of the first Planes, these are actually good films which, while not at the level of an Inside Out or a Wall-E contain a lot for adults to enjoy if they don't go in assuming the worst. Yes, there is some juvenile humor and broad characterizations but it's nowhere close to constant and certainly nothing that should rate the reaction people have had to it.

Speed Racer - This film is completely bonkers, a riot of color and a constant barrage of so many ideas that it's hard to keep up, which I can't help but feel is kind of the point in a movie about not just a race but the drive to do it. Yes, the film crashes hard whenever the little brother and the monkey are on the screen but they're only ever there for maybe a few seconds to a minute and everything else is just so perfect as a live-action anime that it's hard to care. Also, make sure you watch this one on Blu Ray because the density of the visuals means that even the minor artifacting of a 720p DVD transfer can cause it to become headachey.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Of the former:
The Wizard of Oz - Let me get this out of the way now, I don't really hate this movie, nor do I think it's even bad. I can't get into it, and I really can't determine why. Just something (or maybe everything) about this film doesn't click with me. Not really much else I can use to describe how I feel about it.

Of the latter:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - This film is pretty good for what it is, and is best watched if you don't try to compare it to the 1971 classic. The songs, while not as memorable are executed in a clever way, moving the style up one decade for each Oompa Loompa song, and they're essentially ripped straight from the book. The story in general is much more faithful to the original story with a few changes so as to fit the new medium, which I like seeing when in adaptations of books. Even the factory looks more like a wondrous candy land than the old movie, especially the chocolate river, which looks more like someone dumped a bunch of Ovaltine in a pool.

Batman and Robin - No, I'm not kidding, I legitimately enjoy this movie, and there are exactly 2 reasons why. Nope, it's not Batman and Robin, they're just filler for the real stars of the movie, Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy! Seriously, every darn thing that comes out of Arnold's mouth is an awful ice pun dripping with glorious cheese, and Uma Therman isn't far behind. The film is essentially 30 minutes of Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy clips, and and 60+ minutes of filler. For as we all know:
The Ice Age!

Speed Racer - This film is completely bonkers, a riot of color and a constant barrage of so many ideas that it's hard to keep up, which I can't help but feel is kind of the point in a movie about not just a race but the drive to do it. Yes, the film crashes hard whenever the little brother and the monkey are on the screen but they're only ever there for maybe a few seconds to a minute and everything else is just so perfect as a live-action anime that it's hard to care. Also, make sure you watch this one on Blu Ray because the density of the visuals means that even the minor artifacting of a 720p DVD transfer can cause it to become headachey.
All of the yes to this!
I freaking love the Speed Racer movie! I went to see a cartoon in live action, and I got a cartoon in live action. Sure, it's a world of green screens, goofy costumes, and it could have been trimmed down by 30 minutes or so, but this is how I think live action cartoon adaptations of these kinds of goofy shows should be made. Everyone essentially looks like they do in the original show, mostly Speed, Pops, and Racer X (who, unbeknownst to Speed, is actually his older brother Rex who ran away from home years ago). It doesn't take itself too seriously, and has lots of flashy colors and effects to overload your retinas. It's just good, old-fashioned, goofy fun.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
Movies I hate:
Uhhhh...................I legit can't think of any.

Movies I love that everyone else hates:

The Shadow: I'm a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE fan of The Shadow. The old 30's and 40's radio dramas are absolutely phenominal, and I even managed to track down some old books written by Pyramid Books in the 70's. Everything, from his alter ego Lemont Cranston, to his catchphrase: "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow Knows!" is freaking awesome.

Er. Anyways. When a movie was released in the 90s starring Alec Baldwin as The Shadow, I had to see it. And you know what? Its pretty damn good! Alec Baldwin is the perfect role for the Lemont Cranston character. Although I have a few complaints of the movie, particularly The Shadow's power. He's supposed to be a master of hypnotism, clouding the minds of men so that he becomes "invisible" and can cast illusions, such as The Shadow making a criminal believe he was about to be hit by a semi truck, which caused him to kill a fellow criminal by running him over, convinced it was another one of The Shadow's tricks. In the movie, while he does have his hypnotism, the movie makes him out as a straight up telepath. Using telekinesis to control things, such as a sentient knife...don't ask, its weird.

Despite that, I love the movie, but it seems everyone else doesn't. Which I kind of get. It came during the period which superhero movies were cheesy and comical, and just not taken seriously in general. The Shadow tries to feel dark and gritty sometimes, but it still has some very cheesy moments. If they were to remake the movie in this day and age, it would probably kick ass...although everyone would probably say "Oh he's just a rip off of Batman", when in truth...its the other way around :)

Leatherface

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 27, 2016
I really don't understand why Pulp Fiction is considered a classic. It was boring, the whole 'interlinking plot/characters' wasn't anything special (if you want to see a movie that did this better, i'd recommend Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.), and i honestly didn't find any of the hyped scenes (the pawn store, cafe heist etc) to actually be interesting.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Here is one from the I love and everyone else hates category:
Avatar the Last Airbender. I didn't really see the cartoon before watching the movie but I knew how the story went atleast, but I really don't know why all the hate for the movie. It followed the cartoon cannon as closely as possible, skipping most filler episodes from the cartoons although those were probably the best part of the show. The movie had all the major events from the show. Bad acting and bad CGI in some points aside it was pretty enjoyable.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Movie I hate that everyone loves? I guess 300. I remember at the time I watched it I had no idea what it was. I just thought it was a rip off of that Troy movie starring Brad Pitt.

On that note a movie I love that everyone else hates is another movie based on a graphic novel also directed by Zack Snyder which is Watchmen. I guess I really liked it cause I never read the graphic novel before.
Also on the list of movies I love that everyone else hates is The Lost World Jurassic Park. I guess it's just childhood nostalgia kicking in. I used to love watching that T-Rex scene in San Francisco as a kid with my 4 inch tall T-rex toy.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Also, another of the latter:

The Prequels: I honestly don't think they're as bad as people say, nor are they really something offensive. For what they are, they're enjoyable movies with exciting fights scenes and a lot of entertaining banter between the main characters. While Anakin wasn't particularly well acted for a good chunk of the trilogy (which is more due to poor direction than the actor), everyone else, especially Palpatine and Count Dooku were perfectly fine (with a few exceptions). Anakin and Obi-Wan had a lot of fun snark between the two of them during much of episodes II and III, Ray Park and Samuel L Jackson were badass fighters, and those space battles, man, those were a sight to behold, especially the opening battle in episode III. I will admit that Episode II is garbage though, mainly because it's really just an intermission for the important stuff in episode III.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Of the former:
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - This film is pretty good for what it is, and is best watched if you don't try to compare it to the 1971 classic. The songs, while not as memorable are executed in a clever way, moving the style up one decade for each Oompa Loompa song, and they're essentially ripped straight from the book. The story in general is much more faithful to the original story with a few changes so as to fit the new medium, which I like seeing when in adaptations of books. Even the factory looks more like a wondrous candy land than the old movie, especially the chocolate river, which looks more like someone dumped a bunch of Ovaltine in a pool.
Honestly, I feel the same way. I don't think the remake is as good as the original, but I don't think it's bad enough for people to hate on as much as they do. Yes, of course the original is better, but that doesn't immediately make this one bad. If you leave the original film out of the equation (which I didn't even watch before I saw the Tim Burton remake), it can be a pretty enjoyable watch. At least for me.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
I would feel incredibly hypocritical if I didn't try this.

Former
Titanic: Ugh! Worst movie in DiCaprio's career IMO. And don't get me started on it's fans.

Latter
Bolt: I don't think anyone hates it, I think it's just largely overlooked.
Lion King 2: I found this one to be relatively enjoyable.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Latter
Bolt: I don't think anyone hates it, I think it's just largely overlooked.
Lion King 2: I found this one to be relatively enjoyable.
I agree with both. I remember Bolt to be very enjoyable and hope to buy it eventually. I haven't seen Lion KING 2 in a while but I do remember thinking it was pretty decent. I plan on watching it again eventually. Maybe even buying it on Blu-Ray if I like it enough.