Losing is fun (Dwarf Fortress)

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I'm not the only one who's played this game, right? It's probably the most realistic simulator on the planet if you can get past the incredibly simple graphics, and most certainly obscenely complicated.

The sheer level of stuff this game can do is mind boggling, and if you can figure it out and get past the nearly vertical learning curve, the kind of stuff you can create goes beyond anything minecraft can accomplish.

I could never make heads or tails of this game, but messing around in it is certainly a lot of fun, especially when you figure out how to do stuff like train your dwarves to become masters of every weapon in less than an hour or modifying the game code to create a nuclear cannon by raising the internal temperature of a group of cats to be hotter than the sun. And if you don't, you'll lose...a lot.

Girubev

Dr Pepper addict and forum lurker
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Iowa
I've played it, but haven't recently due to Overwatch, Hearthstone, and life getting pretty real over the last few months. I'd have to say my best achievements thus far has been making steel, and bisecting a troll by throwing a copper dagger. Definitely fun, and I wish juggling games/forums/life wasn't so frustrating. For the uninitiated, the Boatmurdered saga is a good starting point to read about the game. It was a lets play some SomethingAwful guys did back in '07. Killer elephants, klepto mandrills, and a dwarf drinking molten lava is just a taste of the insanity.

Girubev

Dr Pepper addict and forum lurker
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Iowa
It was tricky to look at it with the ASCII at first; the turning point for me was when I realized that I needed to push 'Shift' to go up and down the z-levels and use other commands. After that visualization and navigation was much easier.