List of basic maneuvers / mechanics?

Hybrid

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I'm not new to fighting games, but I only just started playing on Feb 22 and didn't really watch many streams or interviews that might have explained the mechanics specific to TFH. Such as:

How do you perform a push block? (Knocking the opponent away after blocking)

Sometimes when a character blocks, they flash white for a frame or two. What does that mean?

Are there any specific rules on when a throw attempt will connect or whiff based on the opponent's actions (assuming you're in range)?

Would someone be so kind as to explain these and any other basic mechanics pleeeease? :)

Snivian Moon

How I mine for combo?
Backers' Beta Tester
I'm by no means an expert, but I will try my best to answer as much as I can!

How do you perform a push block? (Knocking the opponent away after blocking)
This one I know for sure: While blocking, press :atkatk:. That'll push away any aggression!

Sometimes when a character blocks, they flash white for a frame or two. What does that mean?
There are a variety of states in which a blocking character will flash, that I'm aware of, so I'm not sure which one is on your mind. If you block at the last moment, you can essentially do something called a "Just Defend" maneuver - Which blocks the attack and gives you some meter, I believe. It may also reduce chip damage? This is great when the opponent is spamming projectiles, because with proper timing, you can turn that into your advantage.

The Cross Canter also makes your character flash on block, though it is usually green and always is followed by a counter-attack.

I fear I might be overlooking the specific instance you're thinking of, but hopefully this information was slightly useful despite that!

Are there any specific rules on when a throw attempt will connect or whiff based on the opponent's actions (assuming you're in range)?
If you go into training mode, you can turn on hitboxes on the characters. Try performing a throw with that enabled - it will show you exactly where the opponent's hitbox needs to be in order to have the throw connect! Otherwise, be aware that opponents can interrupt a throw in many ways: Attacks that come out faster than your throw, jumping away from your throw, and also something called teching your throw. If the opponent presses :B::+::C: while you are attempting a throw, and their timing is right, they'll break that throw.

Would someone be so kind as to explain these and any other basic mechanics pleeeease? :)
I highly recommend the following video from the Fighting Foenatics:

It's a bit of an older video, but the basics in there are still really solid, and provides a good foundation to the mechanics. The start of the video is probably all stuff that you're already familiar with from other fighting games, but it gets into TFH specific mechanics deeper in. There's some jargon in there, though - so if any of the terms are unfamiliar, please don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:

Hybrid

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Awesome, thanks for the answers.

Yeah, it looks like the white flashes must be a "just defend" like you say. I looked back at a video I recorded, and every time there's a block with the white flash, the blocker gained a little bit of meter. Good to know how that works.

Worira

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
If you go into training mode, you can turn on hitboxes on the characters. Try performing a throw with that enabled - it will show you exactly where the opponent's hitbox needs to be in order to have the throw connect! Otherwise, be aware that opponents can interrupt a throw in many ways: Attacks that come out faster than your throw, jumping away from your throw, and also something called teching your throw. If the opponent presses :B::+::C: while you are attempting a throw, and their timing is right, they'll break that throw.
To clarify a little on this, ground throws can only hit enemies on the ground and air throws can only hit enemies in the air, even if the hitboxes would otherwise connect. The same applies to command grabs, with the exception of Arizona's 4D lasso, which hits aerial opponents from the ground.

Reactions: Snivian Moon