Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Predator

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So, everyone, I've been extremely curious. This goes out to anyone who may click on this thread, and I'd like us all to work together to create a character! I've been doing my own thing for a while (despite having made little to no progress in developing Chopper or Alandra, let alone finishing up Knick Knack), but this idea just hit me, and I think it could be a great way for us all to come together and have a little fun! Up above, I've added a poll with a list of mammals, real and mythical, and I'd like to see which we should start with for the 'meat' of the character. Afterwards, we'll decide the gender, affiliation, name, type and style of fighter. (Maybe even movesets in the future depending on how well this blows over).

If there's something you thought of that isn't in the list, please comment it below! So, what do you think? Shall we get creative?

P.S. I realize 'Predator' is a bit vague, but I suppose if the predator choice becomes a winner, then there might have to be a follow up poll on that one. XD

This is a very interesting idea! It would be so amazing if the TFH community would work together to create a new character!

I voted for a griffin because I think another winged creature would be nice (since Tianhuo is the only one so far).

However, I also have another species in mind: what about a lamia? We could make them half-snake, half-ungulate. Not sure if it's a good idea to mix a predator with an ungulate though, but I just wanted to toss this idea here in case of.

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
This is a very interesting idea! It would be so amazing if the TFH community would work together to create a new character!

I voted for a griffin because I think another winged creature would be nice (since Tianhuo is the only one so far).

However, I also have another species in mind: what about a lamia? We could make them half-snake, half-ungulate. Not sure if it's a good idea to mix a predator with an ungulate though, but I just wanted to toss this idea here in case of.
I'm glad you agree! I think all of us working together to create a character would be something really quite special, and I'm excited to see that the votes are already starting to pile up! So far, it looks like The Griffin and The Zebra are tied for the lead. I want to allow for enough time to get as many voters as possible, but I'm not too sure when to end the poll and tally up the votes. Either after a certain time frame, or when votes start to come to a crawl.

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Are boars considered predators? I mean, they basically eat anything, even the dirt. Not to mention unless they have bulk on their size, they mostly do ramming headbutts and tusk thrusts to attack a threat.
I'm not exactly sure. Do boars have to hunt their prey? I'm sure that's what qualifies a predator, and I have no idea if boars actually hunt.

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
I'm not exactly sure. Do boars have to hunt their prey? I'm sure that's what qualifies a predator, and I have no idea if boars actually hunt.
After looking it up, boars are omnivores with a diet range that rivals our own. So, considering baby deer are on that diet list, they probably got shuffled into the phantom zone with the rest of the predators.
Wild boar - Wikipedia

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
After looking it up, boars are omnivores with a diet range that rivals our own. So, considering baby deer are on that diet list, they probably got shuffled into the phantom zone with the rest of the predators.
Wild boar - Wikipedia
Huh, well . . . I suppose this Predator category will deal with mammals we can clearly classify as predators (Wolves, Foxes, Lions, etc.) Since a boar is in a gray area, I think it's okay to not lump it in with the predators. Unless it should be? And I could swap out the 'Boar' choice for another mammal you guys would like to see?

Also, thank you Brutus for the info! :)

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
You're welcome.
And I think it's fine leaving the poll as is. Maybe boars got locked up, maybe they didn't. They could have gone the Tian route and opted out of the more carnivorous part of their diet, and went off to some muddy backwater to live peacefully in some sort of sty.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
You could always put that as a alt palette. Anyways, klipspringers, kudu, gnu, topi, oribi, roans, and sables are what I think are good herbivores, since they each have something unique to bring to the table. Likewise, great white sharks, komodo dragons, orcas, walruses, badgers, dragon snapping turtles, skunks, and jackals for predators.

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You could always put that as a alt palette. Anyways, klipspringers, kudu, gnu, topi, oribi, roans, and sables are what I think are good herbivores, since they each have something unique to bring to the table. Likewise, great white sharks, komodo dragons, orcas, walruses, badgers, dragon snapping turtles, skunks, and jackals for predators.
I've thought about aquatic predators (like the shark or killer whale), but I'm struggling so hard to figure out a plausible way for them to work in the game. Any ideas?

Also, I seem particularly fond of the Kudu for its wicked horns, and the Jackal; even though it reminds of a wolf or a fox, the name is just pretty cool. :)

One more thing, for anyone with any amount of followers, be sure to fill them in about this thread! I feel we should try and clue in anyone who hasn't heard of this little project by now, so that no one who would've wanted to participate gets left out. I'd hate for us to get halfway through, and have others who might've been interested discover the thread and lose out. So, spread the word fellas! :D

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Aquatic predators would be like the rest, shrouded in shadow and hovering a few feet in the air as their form would ripple when hit be a strong attack. I mean, until the Hold is fully broken, the predators would be stuck in those forms for a while. Though for the aquatic ones, they'll immediately seek a saltwater area (unless they're sand sharks, or tremor-like sandwyrms).

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
What are y'all thinking? Think we can accumulate any more votes from the community? Or is it time to close the poll? At the moment, Zebra and Griffin are still tied, and I've been waiting for some sort of tie-breaker since votes have come to a stand-still.

What are y'all thinking? Think we can accumulate any more votes from the community? Or is it time to close the poll? At the moment, Zebra and Griffin are still tied, and I've been waiting for some sort of tie-breaker since votes have come to a stand-still.
I wish Griffin would have won. But it looks like Zebra is in the lead now. I think it would be best to close the poll.

What about you, @_Vidz_ ? Which one would you vote for?

>Griffin
>Not even an ungulate
>Crossbreed between a predator and another predator
>Would definitely be in the hold
You forgot a detail: they're mythological creatures, not real animals.

I mean, some people think dragons eat meat, others think they eat gemstones.

Since they're not real, we can practically shape them the way we want. Including their diet. I say it's not because they're a crossbreed between a lion and an eagle that they have to be 100% carnivorous like both. Even if it would be logical.

Last edited:

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
What about you, @_Vidz_ ? Which one would you vote for?

You forgot a detail: they're mythological creatures, not real animals.

I mean, some people think dragons eat meat, others think they eat gemstones.

Since they're not real, we can practically shape them the way we want. Including their diet. I say it's not because they're a crossbreed between a lion and an eagle that they have to be 100% carnivorous like both. Even if it would be logical.
Yeeeaaah, but I dunno. I feel like it's pretty commonly accepted that griffons eat meat. Deciding that "our griffons" don't eat meat feels like cheating to me. Like we're pretending the floor is lava so we strap on lava proof boots. We aren't so much "obeying the rules" as we are "working around them."

But hell, maybe that's just me. I usually find the less outlandish characters to be the more interesting ones to follow. So the world of flashy OCs isn't really for me.

Yeeeaaah, but I dunno. I feel like it's pretty commonly accepted that griffons eat meat. Deciding that "our griffons" don't eat meat feels like cheating to me. Like we're pretending the floor is lava so we strap on lava proof boots. We aren't so much "obeying the rules" as we are "working around them."

But hell, maybe that's just me. I usually find the less outlandish characters to be the more interesting ones to follow. So the world of flashy OCs isn't really for me.
I can understand that. But you know, everyone has their own interpretation of what a mythological creature should be. There's my example of the dragon above but it's not the only one. Having our own version of the griffin would actually make them different from the usual common version we see and more interesting, perhaps even unique.

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I mean, are fish ok with eating, if so we solved the griffin problem.
That's a good point. There are many types of birds and sea mammals, like dolphins and sealions, that do eat fish. Would all of them also be locked away? I feel like worrying about specifics such as these are quite complicated and limiting. We should all be in the mindset that we can do almost anything with whichever creature we may choose, I feel it makes it more fun that way. :bark:

I do understand where Stunthead is coming from, and I'm not saying he's wrong; but like I said, we shouldn't really worry about specifics like these.

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
Come on griffins! We can do it!

Anyway, I'd like to weigh in on the whole "Predator" debate. I feel that @Stunthead is right, Griffins would probably would be locked in The Hold. Just looking at sources, in mythology they've been known to specifically torment horses and with Unicorns and Pegasi around, I don't see how they wouldn't be a nuisance enough to be kicked out with the rest.
There are a few points to make on the topic though:

First of all, like @HeartClock said, Griffin diet isn't exactly established. Some depictions of them have had them as Omnivores, and others just flat Predators. So far, I don't think we know what's happened to Omnivores, and we probably won't until story comes out, so that's in the air.

Second, this is a character, not a species, and even then being in The Hold isn't a deal-breaker. There's a lot of ways to go about it, but he/she doesn't have to be a normal Fœnum denizen. Perhaps they took the Forum RP approach, and slipped out with not bloodlust but peace on their mind and they want to make up for the horrors of the past. Maybe they come from a sole griffin clutch that just managed to avoid the Prophet's gaze like sheepdogs and is the last of their linage. Maybe griffins as a whole did manage to broker peace with a group of sympathetic ungulates, their lust for gold outweighing their lust for meat, and were never even subjected to the punishment of the other predators. The character itself could even be a Shadow Predator Scout, still in The Hold! Until the story comes out, we really have no basis for them, and there's a lot of different paths this could go down.

I think a Hippogriff could have a lot of potential too. We've already got a basis for Predator/Prey relationships with the Longma and considering how even more unlikely it would be for this sort of thing to happen since that grudge against horses I mentioned earlier there could be an interesting story behind how it happened, though that does sound like ripping Longma off a little. Maybe they'd be a sort of rival to them, have the Hippogriffs become banished unlike the Longma and come back with a vengeance and with thoughts on how the banishment wasn't fair. Again, there are so many fun options for this character!

Sorry, I, uh, tend to ramble. I hope that all made sense.

P.S. I'm not biased on any of this at all because I have my own TFH griffin character. :p

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Come on griffins! We can do it!

Anyway, I'd like to weigh in on the whole "Predator" debate. I feel that @Stunthead is right, Griffins would probably would be locked in The Hold. Just looking at sources, in mythology they've been known to specifically torment horses and with Unicorns and Pegasi around, I don't see how they wouldn't be a nuisance enough to be kicked out with the rest.
There are a few points to make on the topic though:

First of all, like @HeartClock said, Griffin diet isn't exactly established. Some depictions of them have had them as Omnivores, and others just flat Predators. So far, I don't think we know what's happened to Omnivores, and we probably won't until story comes out, so that's in the air.

Second, this is a character, not a species, and even then being in The Hold isn't a deal-breaker. There's a lot of ways to go about it, but he/she doesn't have to be a normal Fœnum denizen. Perhaps they took the Forum RP approach, and slipped out with not bloodlust but peace on their mind and they want to make up for the horrors of the past. Maybe they come from a sole griffin clutch that just managed to avoid the Prophet's gaze like sheepdogs and is the last of their linage. Maybe griffins as a whole did manage to broker peace with a group of sympathetic ungulates, their lust for gold outweighing their lust for meat, and were never even subjected to the punishment of the other predators. The character itself could even be a Shadow Predator Scout, still in The Hold! Until the story comes out, we really have no basis for them, and there's a lot of different paths this could go down.

I think a Hippogriff could have a lot of potential too. We've already got a basis for Predator/Prey relationships with the Longma and considering how even more unlikely it would be for this sort of thing to happen since that grudge against horses I mentioned earlier there could be an interesting story behind how it happened, though that does sound like ripping Longma off a little. Maybe they'd be a sort of rival to them, have the Hippogriffs become banished unlike the Longma and come back with a vengeance and with thoughts on how the banishment wasn't fair. Again, there are so many fun options for this character!

Sorry, I, uh, tend to ramble. I hope that all made sense.

P.S. I'm not biased on any of this at all because I have my own TFH griffin character. :p
You make a good point, hmmm I see you mention the form RP, hmmmm, revive?

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
It would appear a fellow member who now resides within The Hold (TheGoldenW), has voted for The Griffin, thus placing Griffin at 7, Zebra at 6 and Camel at 5. I'll let this poll go on by the end of Friday, and we can call it quits then.

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Golly gee, now we got a three-way tie?? Camel, Griffin and Zebra are all tied with 6 votes! How in the world are we gonna settle this?

EDIT! Actually! I forgot to count Golden's vote! For some reason he wasn't able to physically vote, but he told me his vote would go to The Griffin. Which I believe makes Griffin our winner! My sincerest apologies to every other voter out there, and I thank you all for participating! How do you guys feel about our winner?

Golly gee, now we got a three-way tie?? Camel, Griffin and Zebra are all tied with 6 votes! How in the world are we gonna settle this? Should I begin a new poll with just these three choices? Leaving those who voted for something different to pick between the three? Any ideas y'all?
Did you not say that TheGoldenW had voted for the Griffin too? His vote doesn't appear in the poll though.

Lmao, that happens!

Golly gee, now we got a three-way tie?? Camel, Griffin and Zebra are all tied with 6 votes! How in the world are we gonna settle this?

EDIT! Actually! I forgot to count Golden's vote! For some reason he wasn't able to physically vote, but he told me his vote would go to The Griffin. Which I believe makes Griffin our winner! My sincerest apologies to every other voter out there, and I thank you all for participating! How do you guys feel about our winner?
Honestly, I am glad that the Griffin won. It's the species I had the most inspiration and interest for.
Now, with the longma and the unicorn, we have another mythological creature! And a one that can fly like the longma too! I guess a pegasus could have done the trick as well, but I think that having a non-ungulate character would be even more interesting.

Since they have been chosen, I was thinking about providing one or two links for inspiration:

One is for a flash maker game that I had found long time ago, maybe we could use it for the colors or for the different features it shows?

The other is for an example I had made with it. This is one of my TEF characters, his name is Gabi.

I'm just tossing those here for inspiration. Not sure if my character's reference would be of any additional help, though.

But I'm very curious to see you guys' ideas! Should we think about the design or the name first? The gender? A male could be nice though, what do you all think?

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized how excited I actually am, lol. Having a character made by everybody in the community is just so exciting!

Last edited:

_Vidz_

Pack Mule
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Okie dokie, so since I can't delete and start a new poll, I guess every other decision we make will have to be placed down here in the Replies section. (Unless there's a way to create a new poll, and I'm just dumb). But the next question will have to be: What will the gender of our Griffin be?

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Okie dokie, so since I can't delete and start a new poll, I guess every other decision we make will have to be placed down here in the Replies section. (Unless there's a way to create a new poll, and I'm just dumb). But the next question will have to be: What will the gender of our Griffin be?
You could do strawpolls. Also, fluid.