Launcher Forward Jump input not doing the thing.

Red Witch

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
May 12, 2017

Oleander is saying: "This game is in dire need of better buffering windows across the board, but this, by far, is the most egregious fault of the current system. I can take losing a BnB because I input 236 just a little too early, but not being able to follow-up properly after a launcher is very, VERY frustrating. I should not have to hold 9; I'd rather be focused on my very timing specific inputs that I need post-launch." >: (

please fix. I really like this unicorn's angry face and just wanna BnB.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

ChaosContrl

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Practice in slow motion (25-50%)? It helps getting the timing right.

Red Witch

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
May 12, 2017
Practice in slow motion (25-50%)? It helps getting the timing right.
The point is I shouldn't have to. Launcher follow up NEEDS to follow up immediately. Every other game with launchers only but needs you to tap the input. This is a result of lack of buffering that is unacceptable and causes weird issues.

QuoteMarks

This is a bug.
Nov 23, 2017
After testing some stuff myself some things to note are.

After Landing a Launcher
  1. Jumps can be buffered.
  2. You cannot buffer a backwards jump. It will come out as a neutral jump.
  3. Same applies to short-hops and Super jumps.
  4. If you tap jump up and then hold forward, up-forward, or down-forward you jump forward.
  5. If you tap jump forward then hold back, back-angles, neutral, down or up you will jump up.
  6. The above are only true when the Launcher hits, and isn't blocked.
Tested at 10% speed.

The game appears to buffer the jump but, only reads the direction when the jump actually starts. So when you tap jump forward, the game buffers the jump and reads the neutral non-input when the jump starts.

It seems to me to be at least partially the result of measures to make the input easier to do. Short-hops are non buffer-able.
The inability to buffer back-jump might be a concession to Tianhuo's Backwards inputted firecracker flips.

The neutral jump has probably has some character specific uses. (Velvet j.c into more zoning/snowball combo maybe?) Most of the time it's the failed jump input outcome.

What weird issues? As far as I know if you've landed Launcher you can afford to hold up-forward for a few more frames. The only air-based attacks that it could possibly interfere with all belong to Tianhuo. If you're worried about Oleander's J.2C that can just as easily be inputted as J.3C, or even J.1C.

Red Witch

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
May 12, 2017
After testing some stuff myself some things to note are.

After Landing a Launcher
  1. Jumps can be buffered.
  2. You cannot buffer a backwards jump. It will come out as a neutral jump.
  3. Same applies to short-hops and Super jumps.
  4. If you tap jump up and then hold forward, up-forward, or down-forward you jump forward.
  5. If you tap jump forward then hold back, back-angles, neutral, down or up you will jump up.
  6. The above are only true when the Launcher hits, and isn't blocked.
Tested at 10% speed.

The game appears to buffer the jump but, only reads the direction when the jump actually starts. So when you tap jump forward, the game buffers the jump and reads the neutral non-input when the jump starts.

It seems to me to be at least partially the result of measures to make the input easier to do. Short-hops are non buffer-able.
The inability to buffer back-jump might be a concession to Tianhuo's Backwards inputted firecracker flips.

The neutral jump has probably has some character specific uses. (Velvet j.c into more zoning/snowball combo maybe?) Most of the time it's the failed jump input outcome.

What weird issues? As far as I know if you've landed Launcher you can afford to hold up-forward for a few more frames. The only air-based attacks that it could possibly interfere with all belong to Tianhuo. If you're worried about Oleander's J.2C that can just as easily be inputted as J.3C, or even J.1C.

I should not have to hold up Forward to get up forward. That's my entire point.

The basic and most common followups to a launcher are always out of upforward.
NEUTRAL JUMP post-launch is a SPECIFIC SITUATION that NO ONE is going to want more often than upforward

To make an example:

Arizona says, "See what ah did thare? That wuzza neutral jump outta my launch! But ah missed my chain! When ah jump up and forward out instead, ah can get my entire string! Ain't it cool?"

3C>8 (jumping straight up)>j.A>j.B>j.C causes j.C to whiff. That's bad.

3C>9 (forward jump)>j.A>j.B>j.C is the intended design. It tells you to do this in the tutorials. It's what I want when I literally press UP and FORWARD.

Launchers in other titles (Skullgirls, Marvel vs Capcom, Metly Blood, etc) never even allow you to follow a launcher enabled move with a backwards jump. It was never a thing. Not being able to buffer backjump makes complete sense and i'm fine with it staying that way forever.

Neutral jump follow-ups should only appear when I hit neutral jump. When I hit neutral jump after a launch, that means that I want neutral jump after launch. I'm in the situation that it applies, and i'm using some crazy specific combo to rack in damage. But 9.99999999999999/10 I want forward jump. And i'm sure this desire matches that of most the player base. Especially if I NEVER EVEN TOUCH 8.

The game should default to the 9 direction, I shouldn't have to hold it, and that's final. I won't back down on this.
----------------
edit: patched Arizona speak to a more consistent pattern

Last edited:

QuoteMarks

This is a bug.
Nov 23, 2017
I never said I disagreed I just wanted to know what the previously vague "weird issues" were. The issues you listed aren't really "weird" so much as just normal issues. I'm sorry if the question in my previous post seemed the slightest bit hostile. In one of the other threads you've posted, you listed a bunch of comments, mostly from other people. They consisted of a mixture of actual issues and comments that sounded like complaints that this game wasn't like other games. The latter of which annoyed me, they shouldn't but they do. I apologize for any slight or insult I may have unintentionally given you.

The rest of the post was meant to be extra details for the devs to work with, and a little speculation on my part, trying to sound smart.

Reactions: Salty Beef

Red Witch

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
May 12, 2017
I never said I disagreed I just wanted to know what the previously vague "weird issues" were. The issues you listed aren't really "weird" so much as just normal issues. I'm sorry if the question in my previous post seemed the slightest bit hostile. In one of the other threads you've posted, you listed a bunch of comments, mostly from other people. They consisted of a mixture of actual issues and comments that sounded like complaints that this game wasn't like other games. The latter of which annoyed me, they shouldn't but they do. I apologize for any slight or insult I may have unintentionally given you.

The rest of the post was meant to be extra details for the devs to work with, and a little speculation on my part, trying to sound smart.
You're allowed an opinion, and so am I. The "weird issues" is the game is actively deterring me from follow ups on my combos.

If you are annoyed that I want this game to borrow mechanics from other titles to the point where you read another post of mine, then bounced to this one just to rail at me, I have a bone to pick with that.

Other games have mechanics that assist with issues this title has. The devs have ACTIVELY asked for feebdack, so i'm giving them feebdack: This game does X and I feel it would help TFH. Other game does Y, is there a reason why this title doesn't use this? All of which are VERY REASONABLE. This game, by feel, is quite similar to Marvel 3 and Blazblue as it is. But drilling in further will derail the purpose of this topic.
I don't accept your apology.

-------------------------------------------------
And the issues are not normal. The problem with launcher follow ups is specific to this game and can be remedied. Hitting 9 and getting 8 is a weird issue. Hitting 9, and pressing 6 getting 8 is a weird issue. You don't have to agree. I, however, do appreciate your contribution to the knowledge that direction is read AFTER jumpsquat. This is pretty telling of where the problem is.

QuoteMarks

This is a bug.
Nov 23, 2017
I too get annoyed when training mode tells me I successfully jumped forward after a launcher, then jumps straight up.

Edit:There is nothing wrong with wanting things from other games in this game. As I tried to make clear in the apology post I was/am the one in the wrong.

Last edited: