1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. 26.6.18: Situation update

Current Early Access Patch: 8-18-2018

Knick Knack - My Original Champion - Part III 2/2 Added!

Discussion in 'Fan Creations' started by _Vidz_, Oct 31, 2017.

?

Would you play as Knick Knack?

1. Definitely not.

3.7%
  2. I'm not too sure. . .

18.5%
  3. Absolutely!

77.8%
  1. Frost Aura

Frost Aura That guy that answers questions

My jaw is on the floor. That was great!

ty4brawl and Delusional Dreamer like this.
  2. Delusional Dreamer

Delusional Dreamer Fœnum iCloud

Yeah, that was fantastic. I can't wait to see part two.

ty4brawl likes this.
  3. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

Dude this is awesome and also kinda tragic. :/

Plot twist: Al this was set up for a unicorn OC.

Side note: didn't switch the title like you usually do.

4. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you like it! I was worried nobody really would. :arismile2:

ty4brawl likes this.
  5. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thank you! There's a funny story that went on today regarding this update. I pretty much had the whole thing I wanted to upload, but it was too big, so I shortened it to what you see now. The whole thing was originally around 4,000 words. I wasn't able to post the other half because the sit kept giving me an 'error' message. Along with that, I was short on time because I had to leave for work and the error message kept popping up so I said, "Welp, that sucks now don't it?". So, I had no choice but to give up. Hopefully I can get the rest posted soon!

6. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thank you for reading! LOL. Was Knick Knack just a ruse to introduce my 'true' OC? The world may never know!

The real tragic thing was the trouble I went through trying to get this posted. Like I said to DelusionalDreamer, I have the whole beginning to Knick Knack's adventure, but the site wouldn't let me upload it in one shot. So, I cut it in half and posted the first part. When I tried to post the second half, it gave me an 'error' message. So, I shortened it even more, and it still wouldn't go through. On my fourth or fifth try, it wouldn't even let me copy and paste into the chat box. Along with these technological issues, I was running short on time since I had to leave for work. Eventually I had to give up, which is why I didn't even have time to change the title of the thread. Sorry about that, but hopefully I can get the rest up soon!

Delusional Dreamer and ty4brawl like this.
  7. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Part II

Knick Knack’s and Tart’s Fathers gallop back to the herd in a wild frenzy. They desperately cry out for help, and the rest of the herd halts their march to find the distressed mules. Knick Knack’s Mother worms her way through the crowd to stop her husband in his tracks. “Honey, what’s going on?” she asks. “Where are the children?”

“I-I don’t know!” Knick Knack’s Father panics.

“What do you mean you don’t know?!”

“I looked everywhere, but they were nowhere to be seen!”

“I knew it! I knew this would happen! You see? This is what happens when we let them stay too far behind!”

“H-Hon, I know this looks bad; but I’ll find them.”

“What’s the hold-up back here?” An older Pack Mule approaches them. Knick Knack’s parents calm themselves as he approaches. The mule is dressed in a black, pointed hat and garments, the very attire someone of his stature should be wearing. He scratches his chin through his long, white beard as he awaits a response.

“Uh-oh, it’s head honcho,” says Tart’s Father.

“Well? Are one ‘a y’all gonna speak up?”

“We. . .” Knick Knack’s Father pauses from anxiety. “We lost the children.” The rest of the herd gasps, and the mule in black nervously adjusts his glasses. “W-We’d like your permission, sir, if we could disband from the herd for a while to go search for them.”

“I’m afraid I can’t allow it,” says the mule in black. Unsure of what to say next, Knick Knack’s Father and Mother look to each other helplessly. “Not by yourselves,” he continues. “Everyone! The Knick Knack child and his friends are missin’! I want everyone to branch out into search teams to help investigate the grove!”

“Oh, thank you, sir,” Knick Knack’s Father sighs with relief. “I—”

“What’s the meanin’ of this?!” Another mule interrupts who is dressed in similar attire as the other. However, instead of black, he’s dressed in white; and his hat has a flatter design than the other's. “We can’t be halting our travels in such a manner!”

“For yer information,” The Chairmule clears his throat. “A few of the younger members of the herd have gone missin’.”

“Oh, they’ll find their way back. We are on a tight schedule! Surely, as the Chairmule you understand at least that much!”

“Then, as Vice Chairmule, you must understand that my decision outweighs yours.” The Chairmule retorts. “We might have a sacred duty to uphold, but we ‘do not’ leave behind any member of the herd for any reason. Unless the concept of ‘family’ means nothing to you, sir.” The Vice Chairmule fumes as he holds his breath, and the Chairmule turns his attention to his herd. “Remember, we’re looking for Knick Knack, Tart and Fritz! They couldn’t have gone far, so everyone, spread out!”

“But not passed sundown!” The Vice Chairmule interrupts yet again.

“You are truly testing my patience,” he warns.

“In case you’ve forgotten, we’re passing through Unicorn territory! The last thing we want to do is disturb them by trekking through their land any longer than we need to. Unless you’d fair a confrontation similar to the last time?” The Chairmule glares and grumbles as the Vice Chairmule makes his point. “Not only that, but would we really want to risk everyone’s lives when night falls? When the predators are sure to come out to hunt?”

“We don’t know if the predators have indeed returned!”

“Would you be willing to take the chance, sir?” he asks in a mocking tone-of-voice.

The Chairmule sighs as he ponders to himself. “Very well, until sundown we will search. We’ll regroup back here when that time comes.” Everyone instantly disperses into the woods, and the Chairmules give each other one last heated look before separating, the Vice Chairmule leaving with a smug grin on his face. Knick Knack’s Father walks with the Chairmule as he tries to convey his thoughts on the matter.

“Sir,” says Knick Knack’s Father. “I-I’m not sure if I agree with sundown being our limit. That just doesn’t seem like enough time.”

“You have nothing to worry about. If we need to search longer than that, we will. I know what you’re going through, and you’re wrong if you think I’m going to let the likes of him dictate how we run our community. We will search as long as it takes until we find them; and find them we will, I promise you.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Some time passes, and Knick Knack lowers his hooves from his eyes to find the forest has completely vanished. Instead of vibrant grass, he’s surrounded by warm, dry, barren soil. Gone are the lush thickets of trees, replaced by a sparse number of prickly cacti. Unsure of where he is, what to do or where to go, he randomly picks a direction to wander in. Aimlessly, he treks the seemingly lifeless wasteland until day turns to night. The hot, humid air fills Knick Knack with discomfort as his thirst starts to overwhelm him. Then, out of nowhere, he catches sight of a brief blink of light. Within moments, he finds himself surrounded by these mysteries lights. Like a curious child, he chases after one; and upon closer inspection, realizes that the lights are nothing more than fireflies. He gazes at them in wonderment, then remembers the jar he saved in his backpack. He reaches inside the pocket, blindly rummaging for the jar. Realizing he’s finally got his grip on it, he pulls it out for one last look at the butterfly he captured in the forest. Unscrewing the lid, he allows the butterfly to escape the jar. Saddened, but happy, he waves goodbye to the beautiful insect.

Hopping about with his empty jar, Knick Knack tries to capture as many fireflies as possible. With a good number now captured, he tightens the lid and ties a loose string around the brim. He hangs the jar from a loop dangling off his backpack, slightly illuminating the area around him. Pressing onward, Knick Knack finds himself growing even more thirsty and weary by the minute. His hooves are growing sore, and his legs are tiring from the constant walking. However, he stumbles across something a bit peculiar to find in the middle of the desert: wheat, a whole field of it. Realizing this couldn’t have grown naturally here, surely this must mean a town or village is nearby—one that can hopefully offer help. With hope returning to him, he plucks one of the strands of wheat from the field, and bites onto the end of it. Then, out of nowhere, a pleasurable scent overwhelms Knick Knack’s snout. The smell of fresh, home-cooking, and the sounds of fiddles, harmonicas and other such instruments playing far off in the distance. He carefully observes his surroundings, and can see a cluster of what appear to be wagons some ways away.

Brimming with excitement and energy, Knick Knack gallops at full-speed towards them. The music becomes clearer, and even the sounds of cheerful voices can be heard. Within the cluster of wagons, crowds of Cattlekind appear to be in the middle of a big celebration. Cattle young, old and in-between dance around a bonfire whilst a band plays near a set of wooden barrels. Knick Knack stops before the crowd, observing them as they all cheer and dance amongst each other. Knick Knack smiles wide as he can feel himself being overcome by the music. He nods his head to the beat, shuts his eyes and dances his way into the crowd. The cattle switch partners in the middle of their dance, and Knick Knack—still unnoticed—manages to steal a partner of his own. He links his foreleg with the young calf, and the two of them twirl in perfect synchronization. However, within moments, the music crawls to a halt as the band’s eyes glue to the dancing pair. Due to the silence, the other cattle wonder what’s happening. Soon, everyone stops dancing aside from Knick Knack and his partner. “Arizona!” One of the cattle calls out.

“Huh?” The young calf opens her eyes, and finds who she’s been dancing with. “Hey, now!” She jumps backward, giving herself distance between her and Knick Knack. Confused, Knick Knack looks all around at the crowd to find that all eyes are on him. “Who are you? An’ where did ya come from?”

“Just what do ya think yer doin’ here, Pack Mule?” Knick Knack turns, and finds a towering bull glaring down at him. Knick Knack gulps as the bull’s shadow envelops him. Nervously, he smiles and waves to the frightening bull. “I thought I made it clear that we want nothin’ to do with yer herd! An’ yet, here ya are! Dancin’ with mah daughter no less!” Intimidated, Knick Knack takes a few steps backward. “Hey . . . wait jus’ a second. . . There’s no way one ‘a you mules would ever stray away from ya herd, unless . . . yer their champion!” The rest of the cattle whisper and mumble to themselves, and the bull raises an eyebrow as he examines Knick Knack. “Come here fer a challenge, did ya? Well, surely if yer their champion, ya must be able to put a fight! How’s about ya meet our champion?”

Knick Knack raises his hoof and draws a breath, ready to speak; then dashes away to try and make an escape passed the bull. However, he is instantly stopped as the bull holds up one of his legs in Knick Knack’s escape path. Winded, he falls to the ground. The bull bites onto his backpack, lifts him up and glares into his eyes. “Listen here, mule! Ya came here for trouble, now you’ve got trouble! I wanna see what kinda champion you are!” The bull tosses Knick Knack back onto the ground near Arizona as he kicks up clouds of dirt. Knick Knack, laying on his stomach, covers his head with his hooves as he waits for the bull to tear him to pieces. “Now, get up and face my daughter.” Knick Knack’s trembling in fear stops as he confusedly looks up at the bull. By his command, Knick Knack gets to his hooves and looks to Arizona. “She is our champion, my little Arizona.”

“Um . . . howdy,” says Arizona. Knick Knack, suddenly fluttering with joy, reaches into his backpack.

“Careful darlin’, he might be—” The bull stops himself as Knick Knack pulls out a bundle of lively, golden lilies. He holds them out to Arizona with a smile, and the bull smacks himself in the face with his hoof.

“Oh!” Arizona gasps. “That’s mighty kind ‘a you.” She smiles.

“Arizona!”

“Sorry, Pa!” Without warning, Arizona charges headfirst into Knick Knack. He flies backward, landing face-first into the dirt along with his flowers. The cattle moo and cheer as Knick Knack coughs from the pain in his chest.

“That’s mah girl!” The bull cheers. However, the crowd’s cheering and the bull’s smug face vanish as Knick Knack gets back to his hooves. Knick Knack gloomily looks to the ruined, wilted flowers in his hoof, then tosses them down to the ground. He dusts himself off, and somehow keeps a smile on his face as he stares down Arizona. “Ya shoulda stayed down, mule!” The bull warns as he turns to Arizona. “Arizona, remember, there can only be one champion to save our prairie. You stand fer all of us, now show ‘em why ya don’t pick fights with the Cattlekind!”

“Nothin’ to worry ‘bout, Pa. I’ve got this.” Arizona digs at the ground with her hoof, and her eyes permanently locked onto Knick Knack. The members of the band look to each other and shrug as they ready their instruments. With their music stirring up the crowd as they gather around to watch the impending fight, Knick Knack taps his hoof to the tune as he patiently waits for Arizona to make her move. Pointing her horns towards him, she charges toward him at full-speed once again. Knick Knack reaches into one of the pockets of his backpack, eyes locked on Arizona as she approaches.

Up until this point, Knick Knack has been ridiculed for his apparent tomfoolery amongst his herd. However, this might be his chance to show what he’s made of; and that all of his collecting of ‘useless junk’ throughout the years is about to pay off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus marks the jumping-off point for Knick Knack's adventure through Foenum! Encountering many dangerous and familiar foes on his journey to rescue his friends. I really hope you guys like what I've made, and I'd like to just take a moment to thank each and every one of you for the kinds words you've shared throughout this thread! I hope to speak to you guys again soon!

#87 _Vidz_, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  8. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

Interesting. So he doesn't really know about the key to begin with but instead is just out to help save his friends.

Also, charmer Knick-knack strikes again. :arilove:

Delusional Dreamer likes this.
  9. Salty Beef

Salty Beef Fau Con, at your service.

Dude! these were such I joy to read! ... I love how you made the jumping off point, because that's where the gameplay would come in I assume. I just loved the whole thing pretty much!

very noice! :aricool:

10. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thanks, Salty! And yes! That was precisely what I intended. I'm glad you like my little story. I've never really been that good at writing, so I'm glad you and a few others do seem to like it!

11. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

You know what they say. Friendship truly is magic.

Thank you for reading, Ty!

12. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

No man, thank you for making a great OC and sharing your hard work and ideas with us.

13. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Since I'm in the swing of things, I've made a couple of skins for Knick Knack!

[​IMG]

Let me know which color scheme you guys like better! Or, if you like neither, which colors would you like to see on him?

Have a good one, everyone!

14. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

I thought he'd be lighter brown than 2. As for alts I'd like to see, just references. Maybe one of the dragon/donkey babies from Shrek? Idk. lol

15. Delusional Dreamer

Delusional Dreamer Fœnum iCloud

Yay part two is here!
    I have to say, I really like how you've made Knick Knack the sort that is silent but not really. He doesn't speak, but you describe him and his action in this way that easily gets across what he's trying to say.
    Also his design is also super adorable, but that's been said.

Salty Beef and ty4brawl like this.
  16. Salty Beef

hmm out of the two choice's I kinda like..... the Brown one.

although in terms of a color I've thought about...
    I alway's thought the main color would be a light grey, Secondary body color would be.. something.. The sack would be tan (like some Cargo pants I have).

the more I think about it I never thought about his color too much. just the the sack mostly..

either way it's noice to see some color on him!

EDIT: Btw Vidz. did you make a walk/run cycle pic?

#96 Salty Beef, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  17. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

Not everyone runs, but now that you mention it, there's quick dash for towards and away.

18. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

I've been playing around with Knick Knack's colors, and I've come up with quite some silly combinations! So, I figured why not turn it into a little game? I've got nine Knick Knack's, do you think you can name the characters each one represents?!

[​IMG]

sokolgs, Salty Beef, Redness and 2 others like this.
  19. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

Only one I know (or think I know) right off the bat is 9 being Jigglypuff.

20. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you like that, I was a bit on the fence on making him a silent protagonist-type character. I was worried people would've really wanted dialogue out of him, and dislike the direction I went. And yeah, his cuteness seems to be quite contagious. :arisilly:

Have a good one!

21. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

LOL. Now that you mention it, it kind of does; but that's not what I was going for. :arigrin2:

22. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

You are like, the only one I've ever seen use 'noice' . . . I like it. But yeah, so, were you thinking an even lighter gray than the first image? Also, I never really considered making a walk/run cycle, because I really have no idea how I would tackle it. If I was an animator then I could probably make it happen, but that one just seems a bit difficult. Unless there's an easy way I can do it that I don't know about?

23. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

Really? Hmm...

I also thought 5 and 6 were Link and captain falcon, but idk now. These could all be characters that idk. lol

Edit: just realized, 1 is totes banjo.

Delusional Dreamer and _Vidz_ like this.
  24. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Boom! Got two! Banjo and Link. Nice!

25. Salty Beef

yeah, KINDA like number 3 on ur new palette list.

hmmm.. well I don't know any other way OTHER than to animate. unless you just draw like, 3 or 4 pictures side by side. kinda like how you've put older pics together. (like the turn around) but in a motion-y kind of way. (also animating is not as hard as you think, there's and older version of Adobe flash that is legally free to download, so there's that).

26. Frost Aura

Ouch, no Santa alt. would've been really funny.

27. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

You better watch out, you better not cry. You better not pout, I'm tellin' you why. Ol Saint Knick is comin' to town!
    [​IMG]

I had a slightly bigger project in mind for showing off Knick Knack as Santa Claus, but I wouldn't have been able to finish it in time. So, per Frost Aura's comment, I figured why not do this real quick for now. I hope you all have a Merry, Magical Christmas!

28. Frost Aura

It's a Christmas Miracle!

29. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Happy New Year, everyone! I've got something new to show! I've made a sketch of a possible stage meant to accompany Knick Knack. I hope you guys like it!

[​IMG]

I don't have a name for this land yet, but this is where the journey began for the Pack Mules as the hoof-prints along the path have been left behind from many mules ago, leading to a beckoning mountain-range and glowing sunset. . . At least, it will be when it's colored in, but I want your guys' opinion first! Do you find this place to be fitting?

As always, have a wonderful day!

30. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

Looks sweet, man. Your going all in on this guy and I love it. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see what's next. :arismile2:

31. Frost Aura

I looks like the last place that a fight would occur. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, It could strike a contrast with the environment and the action.

32. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

You bet! I'm gonna go as far as I can until I reach . . . well, the unreachable. Thanks as always, Ty! I appreciate the comments!

33. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Hello, everyone! I hope you're all doing well! So, I've colored the stage in.

[​IMG]

I wish I could've done a better job, however, MS Paint is the only tool I have to color all this stuff in. So, I apologize for the rather 'amateur' look of it all. Have a good one y'all!

34. ty4brawl

ty4brawl Feed b ack
    Backers' Beta Tester

It looks great. :ollielove:

35. Frost Aura

I love it!

36. Salty Beef

I think I'm really liking this drawing and location. its interesting to me because it's not really anyones home. its like your traveling on this well worn path and you encounter somebody to fight. its really cool.

its also cool to see a location from Knick Knacks story. : )

37. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thank you! I'm glad!

38. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

Thank you, Ty!

39. _Vidz_

_Vidz_ Pack Mule
    Backers' Beta Tester

As always, thank you for the kind words, Salty!

40. Leatherface

Leatherface Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

Hmmm, not enough edge. Can you give him some scars and teen angst?