Kingdom Hearts

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I was curious to see if there were any KH specific threads but surprisingly found none. So here ya go: A thread to talk about anything Kingdom Hearts related be it opinions on news, hopes or fears of future KH games, opinions on any of the games already released, anything that relates towards KH.

At this time, the most recent KH related news I can think of is the opening to KH:BBS 0.2 being revealed the other day. Here's he link for any who haven't seen it yet:
(English)

(Japanese for any purists who prefer 光 over Simple and Clean like I do)

Personally, I'm loving the new remix for 光 as well as the flashy opening. The KH games always have such good openings. It's actually got me kind of excited for 2.8 when I wasn't prior to this. I would've still bought the game, but I wouldn't be as Gung ho to play as I had previous installments like 2 or the original Birth By Sleep.

Another piece of news I should mention is the release of the 1.5 and 2.5 remasters on PS4 later next year. I definitely plan on getting it. Hopefully they'll fix all of the problems from the last 2 remasters, particularly the ones from KH2FM. And while I don't plan on getting a 4K TV or a PS4 Pro anytime soon, I think it'd be cool for Square Enix to enable the remasters to play in 4K. KH2FM look amazing in 4K.

How bout you guys, what are your thoughts on the 0.2 opening, the new remix of 光 (and Simple and Clean, I guess -__-), and the PS4 remasters? And do you plan on getting the PS4 remasters of 1.5 and 2.5?

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I did like KH I and II back when they first released, and I grabbed the 1.5 HD Remix on PS3 when it came out. Maybe 2.5 as well, I can't recall. They've just taken too long to release KH III. I didn't bother much with the portable games either. I think I have one of them? Birth By Sleep or whichever one made it on the Vita, I think?

I've got III pre-ordered though.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I got 2.5 when it came out and 1.5 on September of this year. I got the platinum trophy for each game except for Chain of Memories which i'm planning to play next year. I've never played KH 3D so i'm definitely looking forward to 2.8 when it comes out.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
I've PLAYED KH 1, 2, Chain of Memories, 358/2, BBS, Re:Coded and 3D, so... all of them. Never actually played any of the remasters, didn't think I had to, but I might be inclined to get 1.5 & 2.5 later on as I haven't PLAYED a KH game in well over a year.
Now I feel like replaying all of them. As for the new trailer, I am REALLY hyped for it, even though I won't be able to play it. Still, a playthrough can be just as enjoyable! And now I'm going to listen to the new intro for the next few minutes.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I've never played KH 3D so i'm definitely looking forward to 2.8 when it comes out.
I played KH3D on the 3DS (in fact it was one of the only reasons I got a 3DS to begin with), but I don't remember too much about it, tbh. It'll be interesting to see how it translates to PS4 and great to reexperience it and determine for myself where it lies in the series in terms of best to worst. Although I doubt anything except for KH3 can even compete with KH2FM, but that's just my opinion.

I've PLAYED KH 1, 2, Chain of Memories, 358/2, BBS, Re:Coded and 3D, so... all of them. Never actually played any of the remasters, didn't think I had to, but I might be inclined to get 1.5 & 2.5 later on as I haven't PLAYED a KH game in well over a year.
I too have played all of them (unless you count the original Chain of Memories on GBA, I only played Re:COM). While I can see myself going back to replay the majority of the series, I don't think I'd be able to stomach playing 358/2 Days or Re:Coded again. Especially Re:Coded. Ugh. In terms of the rest of the series, while not so much today due to lack of free time, I remember when I was able to play KH1 and KH2 back to back at least once a year back when I didn't need a job and school was a breeze. Not so much now. If I go back to KH2FM, this'll be the first time I've played it since I bought it, be it the Japanese or English versions.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
I saw gameplay last year of KH3, but so far, nada on any new developments. My theory though, is that the rulers (or princes/princesses) of the worlds Sora visited or have yet to visit will convene for a alliance for the sequel against the remaining Heartless and whatever weird new creatures that threaten life, and Sora and co. will take the lead as their 7 Keyblade Weilders. And it's more than likely Maleficent will look beyond the usual cast of villains she interacted with and reach into new alliances with them, creating dark armies of her own with Org 13 as their generals, with Pete as her right-hand catman. Of course, with the book of prophecies, she could know who is best suited to select in each world as worthy candidates to fight a Keyblade without one, or those who will one day wield a dark keyblade.

Last edited:

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I saw gameplay last year of KH3, but so far, nada on any new developments. My theory though, is that the rulers (or princes/princesses) of the worlds Sora visited or have yet to visit will convene for a alliance for the sequel against the remaining Heartless and whatever weird new creatures that threaten life, and Sora and co. will take the lead as their 7 Keyblade Weilders. And it's more than likely Maleficent will look beyond the usual cast of villains she interacted with and reach into new alliances with them, creating dark armies of her own with Org 13 as their generals, with Pete as her right-hand catman. Of course, with the book of prophecies, she could know who is best suited to select in each world as worthy candidates to fight a Keyblade without one, or those who will one day wield a dark keyblade.
That'd be an interesting way to bring all the characters back together. Personally, I think KH3 will focus on Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Mickey trying to get Terra, Aqua, and Ventus back so hey can join the fight while
Kairi and Axel
train with Yen Sid and Riku to become Keyblade masters to battle against Master Xehanort. Besides that, I haven't thought about anything else since the story seems to get more convoluted with every new installment.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Naturally, if people stuck on their own little world learn there are other worlds, there will be the chance for the rulers to get together and talk terms of trade and working to fight a common enemy like the Heartless and Nobodies. Let's see...the best ones would be Beast, Kuzco, Cobra Bubbles/Jumba, Major Monogram, Stanford Pines (since he is also a interdimensional traveler), Wander, Scrooge McDuck, Queen Butterfly (due to her scissors), the 7 Princesses/Princes, King John (the animal version), King Arthur, Mowgli/Tarzan, Elliot (representing the dragon faction), Basil, King Triton, Simba (and his son-in-law), Buzz Lightyear (representing the space fleet/land of full-size 'toys'), Zeus, the Chinese Emperor (with Mulan as his translator), Flik (due to his world being made of giant insects), Sulley (represents the Monsters who need laughter to power their world), Mr. Incredible (who is jumpstarting a new Heroes Foundation on his world), Captain Teague (representing the Pirates), Remy (representing the Chef Rats), Captain B. McCrea (who plans to rebuild worlds destroyed from the ground up), Fix-It Felix (represents the Game World next to Tron's), Elsa/Anna, Mayor Lionheart (representing the biped Animal Kingdom), and Maui. Don't think the Marvel world will be involved with it though.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
A bit of a plug here, if anyone knows of and enjoys the Dragonball Z Abridged series on YouTube, TeamFourStar (the creators of TFS) have been doing streams of the Kingdom Hearts series since July, beginning with KH1 and continuing with KH:COM (original GBA, not remastered PS3) and KH2. If you guys can handle them complaining about the first game multiple times, then I'd definitely give it a watch. It serves as great background noise for doing something long and tedious...like getting all the trophies in KH:ReCOM. Not that I'd have any experience with that.

I DO

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
A bit of a plug here, if anyone knows of and enjoys the Dragonball Z Abridged series on YouTube, TeamFourStar (the creators of TFS) have been doing streams of the Kingdom Hearts series since July, beginning with KH1 and continuing with KH:COM (original GBA, not remastered PS3) and KH2. If you guys can handle them complaining about the first game multiple times, then I'd definitely give it a watch. It serves as great background noise for doing something long and tedious...like getting all the trophies in KH:ReCOM. Not that I'd have any experience with that.
I used to use their 'Streamdom' Hearts videos to grind events for Unchained X.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So, new trailer for 2.8. Looks like Sora's coming back. Yay, more KH3 teasing. As if we needed more...

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So a new trailer for 1.5+2.5 was revealed at Jump Fiesta today. You can see it here.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed with the new trailer since it's super short and doesn't really show much, but I guess that if you think about it there's not much new stuff they can show us. Apparently, some other news is that its' gonna be displayed in 60 FPS when released on PS4, which is nice to hear. Based on some of the videos fans made where they put the KH games (KH2FM in particular) in 60 FPS, it looks really good. And that's not even professionally done. I can't imagine how good it looks. So excite!

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So anyone got KH2.8 pre-ordered? It's coming out pretty soon. I have yet to do it considering I just spent $500+ on merch at a convention last weekend, but I plan to on my next paycheck before the game comes out. Yay Amazon Prime.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
With KH 2.8 being out for a few days now, has anyone else had a chance to play it? I gave 0.2 a try and if that's the direction KH3 is going, then I wholeheartedly support it! My only gripe with 0.2 is that the platforming and physical combat is a little boring compared to KH2 (FM). Hopefully Square will improve on those for KH3. With how flowmotion is looking in the game (based on what we've seen), it looks like the platforming will be improved compared to 0.2, and hopefully the combat will be on par with KH2 (FM). I haven't gone into KH3D yet, but plan to as soon as I get all the 0.2 trophies, and will watch KHX soon after that.

In other news, Square just release the box art to KH 1.5+2.5 on PS4. You can see it here: Boxart for Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 has been revealed by Amazon Canada - Kingdom Hearts News - KH13.com . Personally, I like it. I was hoping for some new artwork, but I'm not surprised they stuck with the 1.5 and 2.5 artworks put together. But in the end, I don't mind. The two go very well together.

What about anyone else. What are your thoughts on KH2.8 or the box art "reveal" for 1.5+2.5?

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I bought kh 2.8 on released day. I was originally going to start with kh 3D but started with 0.2 to avoid spoilers. 0.2 was good and I enjoyed it throughout the prologue. The game runs at 60 fps on the ps4 pro although it drops in some areas mostly in enclosed spaces but luckily not during any fights.

I just finish kh 3D story yesterday and I liked for most the part. It took some time to get used to the flowmotion mechanics and I feel indifferent about the dream eaters. Now i'm going to 100% the game and get the platinum trophy after that i'm going back to 0.2 to get the trophies I missed, try critical mode, and fight to secret boss. I'll watch Back Cover X once i'm finish with both games.

For 1.5 + 2.5, I wonder if they will merge the PS3 trophies with the PS4 like they did with FInal Fantasy X.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
For 1.5 + 2.5, I wonder if they will merge the PS3 trophies with the PS4 like they did with FInal Fantasy X.
Most likely. 1.5 + 2.5 is only a (re)remastering so I doubt they would put in much more effort than that. If anything, I'm hoping the PS4 remasters will fix a lot of the problems the PS3 remasters had. Particularly with KH2FM.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So I got all the objectives in KH 0.2 and went onto watching KHX. Apparently it's only an hour of cutscenes as opposed to 3 hours that we were given for both 358/2 Days and Re:Coded. I have no problem with this. What I do have a problem with is how the cutscenes gave no closure as to what was going on in the story such as:

- Who the traitor was (if there was even one to begin with)
- What the Master looked like under the coat
- What any of the other characters looked like under their masks/hood
- What was in the box left to Luxu by the Master
- What the Master whispered to Luxu before he left
- Where the Master disappeared to
- Whether any of the other masters actually found Luxu or not
- Who actually started the Keyblade War
- Who the Nightmare belonged to
- Whether the Master was actually evil or not
Etc.

Needless to say, I'm left with far more unanswered questions than I had before I started the damn thing to begin with. Enough questions to where I did a little research on the mobile game to see if it had any answers and most of the ones it gave me don't really add up or left some of the questions above unanswered. That being said, I'm under the impression that these questions will be answered in KH3 which annoys me because I feel like they could have left this information out of the story entirely otherwise and it wouldn't make much of a difference. By inserting these questions into the lore, it makes it seem like the story in KH3 is going to be even more convoluted than the last few games which would be pretty damn impressive.

Not only that, but the combination of a 20-30 hr remaster (KH3D), a 1-3 hr tech demo (KH0.2), and hour long "movie" (KHX) doesn't warrant $60 when 1.5 and 2.5 were only $40 upon release with anywhere from 30-100 hrs of gameplay each (along with features new to the US release) and will only be $60 when combined together to make the PS4 rerelease. Especially when you factor in how meh I am about KH3D. While I'm really happy I played KH0.2, I'd be happier if I didn't feel the entire package was overpriced. Or at the very least I would've been happier if KHX actually answered some of the questions that it brought up while I was watching it.

Right now, I'm currently playing the KH3D remaster to see if my opinion has changed since I played the original 3DS version, but so far it's not looking so good.

Anyone else have any thoughts they'd like to share?

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I grew up with Kingdom Hearts on PS2 ^.^
Played Kingdom Hearts 2 as well. Lots of fun that one. Unlocked Shadow Form B)
Had Chain of Memories on GBA, but never finished it.
Great games. Lots of fun, very sweet. I have the HD 2.0 (or whatever they're called) on PS3 as well.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Same here. I grew up with KH 1 and 2 on PS2. Rebought them on PS3, both in English and Japanese and plan on rebuying them on PS4 in both English and Japanese.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I actually never played 1 and 2 until the remixes were out. I did however play every handheld game close to their released dates except for KH:3D.

Reactions: Tox

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I actually never played 1 and 2 until the remixes were out. I did however play every handheld game close to their released dates except for KH:3D.
Playing the remixes first was the best way to start since the remixes were the (originally Japanese exclusive) Final Mix versions which came with new scenes, items, bosses, and such. They're basically the director's cut versions of the games.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Playing the remixes first was the best way to start since the remixes were the (originally Japanese exclusive) Final Mix versions which came with new scenes, items, bosses, and such. They're basically the director's cut versions of the games.
That's the reason I bought them instead of playing them on an emulator.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
That's the reason I bought them instead of playing them on an emulator.
Hah, it's funny that you say that. I have a friend from work whom I'm introducing the games to and other suggested him to play the HD remixes to get the Final Mixes (and to play them in HD) as opposed to emulating them (where he'd only get the original U.S. versions) but he insisted on the latter. Looking back on it, it's not so bad if only because he is able to play it while I'm not around and our schedules don't collide as often as we'd like. At least that would be the case in theory...if he played the damn thing when I wasn't around. -__-

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
In an attempt to rejuvenate this thread: any one excited for KH 1.5+2.5? Since it conveniently releases the day after my birthday, I'm definitely going to play the utter crap out of it when it releases. It also helps that I have that entire day off from work AND that same week is the week of my spring break. Talk about convenient. I also plan on getting the Japanese version of the game because I'm that guy and I like to see to see the original versions of stuff that I like (particularly Japanese media), but Disney is too much of a butt to allow the games to offer a Japanese audio track. Cause it's not like Square has done it for some of their games in the past -__- (FFXV)

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm tempted to get 1.5 and 2.5 myself but I want to hold off on buying anything new until June. I checked PSNProfiles recently and the PS4 trophies are separated from the PS3 trophies. I still need to play RE: CoM and I've read that it takes the longest time to get the platinum trophy compared to the other games.

Leatherface

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 27, 2016
I gave up on Kingdom Hearts when they released all those spin off games that weren't very good, but also held crucial plot details - i.e, how the hell Sora ended up in some egg contraption at the start of 2.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm tempted to get 1.5 and 2.5 myself but I want to hold off on buying anything new until June. I checked PSNProfiles recently and the PS4 trophies are separated from the PS3 trophies. I still need to play RE: CoM and I've read that it takes the longest time to get the platinum trophy compared to the other games.
Yeah, I can vouch for that. I got 1.5 when it first released and to this day I have yet to get the Platinum. However, I only need to beat the storys on normal mode to get it, but with so many other games to play and beat it's hard to make the time.

I gave up on Kingdom Hearts when they released all those spin off games that weren't very good, but also held crucial plot details - i.e, how the hell Sora ended up in some egg contraption at the start of 2.
That's sad to hear, but it's understandable. Even as a fan I don't particularly like how they made multiple games on different consoles that related to the bigger story. Made it even worse for the games that weren't very good - i.e, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded (and 3D in my personal opinion).

Leatherface

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 27, 2016
Yeah, I can vouch for that. I got 1.5 when it first released and to this day I have yet to get the Platinum. However, I only need to beat the storys on normal mode to get it, but with so many other games to play and beat it's hard to make the time.

That's sad to hear, but it's understandable. Even as a fan I don't particularly like how they made multiple games on different consoles that related to the bigger story. Made it even worse for the games that weren't very good - i.e, 358/2 Days and Re:Coded (and 3D in my personal opinion).
I'll add Chain Of Memories to that list. Didn't enjoy the weird card combat system...thing.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'll add Chain Of Memories to that list. Didn't enjoy the weird card combat system...thing.
I didn't either at first, but it grew on me after I learned how to use it in a strategic sense. It's as was said by Joshscorcher on YouTube: COM and Re:COM are a thinking man's hack and slash. But I can still understand why people don't like it.

Moon Drops

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I played 1, 2, and CoM... Plan on beating two of the remakes in the hopes that I'll be able to piece together what on Earth is going in in the story.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I played 1, 2, and CoM... Plan on beating two of the remakes in the hopes that I'll be able to piece together what on Earth is going in in the story.
I assume by remakes you mean the HD remasters?

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Woops, yes. My mistake.
I wouldn't consider much of a mistake honestly. Compared to the work that goes into most US remasters, I'd consider the KH remasters closer to remakes due to how they go in and clean up the models rather than just upscale the game like some remasters (COUGHSLYCOLLECTIONCOUGH)

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I didn't either at first, but it grew on me after I learned how to use it in a strategic sense. It's as was said by Joshscorcher on YouTube: COM and Re:COM are a thinking man's hack and slash. But I can still understand why people don't like it.
Yea, I really couldnt get on board with the card system. It was fun at the start of fights. But boss battles were just no fun at all. That and I remember fighting Riku for like the 2nd time or something and thinking the game would be over after I did...it didn't end after that.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Yea, I really couldnt get on board with the card system. It was fun at the start of fights. But boss battles were just no fun at all. That and I remember fighting Riku for like the 2nd time or something and thinking the game would be over after I did...it didn't end after that.
Yeah, the game doesn't end until
you beat Marluxia (Pink Hair Guy) twice.
And I will admit that the final world,
Castle Oblivion
does tend to drag even before the final boss.

I'm curious how Re:COM will be affected by the 60fps change in the PS4 remaster (if it even was changed to 60fps). But to be honest, even though I thought the game was decent, I'm not sure if i want to replay it again since I have so many other games on my plate right now that I dropped for the sake of playing KH 1.5+2.5. I might just skip to KH2 and continue on my other games from there, but we'll have to see. I've still got a couple things to do in KHFM before I need to decide.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Not sure if anyone else knows about this or has experienced it yet, but KH 1.5+2.5 has a crash where if you play the game for too long and try to save, it will immediately crash and you'll lose all your progress. There was a day one patch to the game when it released a couple weeks ago, but it did not fix the crash. I know this to be true because I just encountered it now and lost a whole bunch of progress in KH2.

Max Level Drive Forms and Summons - Gone
Colosseum Tournaments - Gone
Cavern of Remembrance - Gone
Synthesis Grinding - Gone
At least 5 levels of Grinding (if not, more) - Gone
Hours of Journal Progress including Treasures, Puzzles, and Several Mini-Games - Gone

Let this serve as a warning to consistently save your game every chance you get so as to not lose progress in any of the games included in this collection, ESPECIALLY KH2. I've researched it and there's zero knowledge on when and why this occurs so until it is fixed by Square, be extremely careful so you don't end up like me.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
This is 100% the saddest gaming horror story I have ever heard. That is, literally, every paranoid saver's worst nightmare. RIP buddy.
It's okay. Surprisingly, I'm not as angry about as I thought I would be. But I know that other people would be severely pissed if this happened to them so I made it a point to warn them.