Keep getting stunlocked against the wall, what do I do?

Geneva Mode

Mar 5, 2018
So I was playing against tianhuo as Pom, try to make room to summon my dogs, end up against the wall where I was repeatedly combo'd to death. Anyone else have this problem, and if so how did you beat it?

Falco

Ace Pilot
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
So I was playing against tianhuo as Pom, try to make room to summon my dogs, end up against the wall where I was repeatedly combo'd to death. Anyone else have this problem, and if so how did you beat it?
You can push block Tian to get her off you and get back to neutral. Anti air her (or Pom's 2B) when she comes around again. Alternatively, Pom has a move that lets her run out of corners while being invulnerable for a short while.

Geneva Mode

Mar 5, 2018
You can push block Tian to get her off you and get back to neutral. Anti air her (or Pom's 2B when she comes around again). Alternatively, Pom has a move that lets her run out of corners while being invulnerable for a short while.
Are you talking about the :[4]::6::+::atk: that lets you run through someone?

Nintyuk

Professor Bright Spark
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I don't understand how to push block when caught in one of those wall combos when it won't let me even block

Kastor

Mar 14, 2018
I don't understand how to push block when caught in one of those wall combos when it won't let me even block
Well of course you can't do anything during the combo, kinda the point of combos. However you should be able to block the attack that's used to restart the combo. This is easier said than done though as many players will immediately follow the end of a combo with a hard to block mix-up.

Nintyuk

Professor Bright Spark
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
How can I tell when they restart their combo?

Kastor

Mar 14, 2018
The easiest way is to see when the combo counter resets. Problem is that typically happens after the first hit of the next combo had landed. So it's no use to react to it. However you can use that to see what a reset looked like and react to it next time.

Each character and even player will reset differently. How ever a pretty common one is after a hard knockdown. This is when you come to rest on the floor and your character flashes red. Make sure to be blocking as you get up. You won't have enough time to do anything else. Whether to block high or low depends on the player and his tendencies. Pay attention to what he likes to do.

Reactions: Pom d'or

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Resets typically come at pretty reliable points in time too. You'll eventually just learn those once you know what you are looking for.

Dougboard

dang kids get off my lawn
Backers' Beta Tester
Aug 21, 2016
SW FL
How can I tell when they restart their combo?
You can hold down an attack button to "tech" out of hitstun or knockdown as early as you're able to, and if you hold a direction you'll tech in that direction.

If you don't know what teching is, it's when your character sort of "flips" out of the hitstun animation or knocked down animation, and returns to their regular standing or jumping pose (depending on whether you were on the ground or in the air.)

Once you've teched out of hitstun, you have full control of your character again. There are a few ways of getting out of corner pressure/mixups, but they require you to read your opponent's actions and respond accordingly.

* Block the mixup and pushblock their mediums/heavies/specials. This will push them back the most distance, whereas pushing a light attack barely pushes them back at all

* Jump during the startup/recovery of a move. You don't have to deal with high/low mixups when you're in the air. This alone won't get you out of the corner, but it can make dealing with corner pressure easier. If they go for a move with a lot of startup/recovery that whiffs, you can punish.

* Jab during the startup/recovery of certain moves. This can lead to a combo that will get you out of the corner. Keep in mind that vs Paprika you can't jab when standing near her "gifts", as you will eat them and be left open to punishment

* Guard Thrust/Dead Angle/Guard Assault/Whatever you want to call it. This is done by pressing forward + two attack buttons while guarding. Your character will do an invincible reversal attack which will knock the opponent back a fair distance.

Reactions: Pom d'or