It's like my fingers are made of lead

Meti

Mar 20, 2018
And I need at least 3 more hands.
I like this game. It's new to me. Very new. Only other fighting games I have ever played are smash 64 and Brawl, so, you know, not really helping there.
I could say a bunch of things I like but the point of this place is discussion, so I mostly just want to know if, for an absolute beginner, using a stick or D-Pad is better in the long run. The pad seems a lot better for precise inputs and such so far, but given how much literally nothing I know about fighting games other than how much of a black sheep Brawl is in the franchise by only having combos in the form of repeated grabs and being slow, I don't have much anything to work with. So far all my learning process has been is "Get smeared across the wall in pixel lobbies, see how they do it, and practice inputs".

Korencz11

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
korencz11.deviantart.com
Smash isn't a fighting game
/s

Basic rule of thought when coming into a fighting game is that you will get shit on until you git gud™ so, that's basically what you need to keep doing. Learning player combos helps, and part of learning the game is going to be "when can I fight back?" and "Where do I start my combo from this step?" If you can do your basic loop, as every anime fighter has at least one before you move to your end step, from any point in the loop, then you'll be in a much better situation.

If you want to win, play Velvet or Tian. They are definitively the best characters in the game, and part of that is because they have overhead counterpokes. See somebody coming near by? Throw out shatter C and they die. In tian's case, Air dash forward into just about any ACB attack from low ground. (you can practice this by jumping and then hitting FF right before you hit the ground.) j.A is super busted and your opponent can't see it coming if you're close to them.

If you want to suffer, play Pap or Ari. Velvet can up back in a corner, and there is nothing you can do about it. Tian can super jump + fly, and Pap can risk it all for a Charge C, but as Ari, there is nothing you can do about it.

Pom takes a lot of coordination to play, but she's workable, and her j.C is all she has without Dogs out.
Oleander is in the same position, but will always lose in a projectile war with Velvet, and suffers with Arizona while she can't reach Tian.

Good luck M8.

Meti

Mar 20, 2018
Smash isn't a fighting game
/s

Basic rule of thought when coming into a fighting game is that you will get shit on until you git gud™ so, that's basically what you need to keep doing. Learning player combos helps, and part of learning the game is going to be "when can I fight back?" and "Where do I start my combo from this step?" If you can do your basic loop, as every anime fighter has at least one before you move to your end step, from any point in the loop, then you'll be in a much better situation.

If you want to win, play Velvet or Tian. They are definitively the best characters in the game, and part of that is because they have overhead counterpokes. See somebody coming near by? Throw out shatter C and they die. In tian's case, Air dash forward into just about any ACB attack from low ground. (you can practice this by jumping and then hitting FF right before you hit the ground.) j.A is super busted and your opponent can't see it coming if you're close to them.

If you want to suffer, play Pap or Ari. Velvet can up back in a corner, and there is nothing you can do about it. Tian can super jump + fly, and Pap can risk it all for a Charge C, but as Ari, there is nothing you can do about it.

Pom takes a lot of coordination to play, but she's workable, and her j.C is all she has without Dogs out.
Oleander is in the same position, but will always lose in a projectile war with Velvet, and suffers with Arizona while she can't reach Tian.

Good luck M8.
Well, I certainly wouldn't call Brawl a good fighting game. Unless wobbling counts as a combo.
I do like Tian, mostly because I have all the patience of a cracked out squirrel.
One could phrase it that I am in a guided button mashing phase. I know what I want to do in most situations, but that is no guarantee that that is what is going to happen, or even anything remotely like what I thought is. Need to get used to when
I can do things. And stuff.
Getting my ass kicked is all well and good, but it won't much help until I can actually reliably preform what I want to do.

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Ask people in lobbies to help train. Generally speaking, most people still playing want more people to play and unless they get carried away they're willing to workshop stuff with you.
As it is, in training mode there is an option to slow game speed which I use to get the motions down right and then bring it back up to normal speed. Once you've got the motions themselves memorized, it's just a matter of doing them faster.
Also, if you haven't gone through the tutorial mode yet, it really does help.

Meti

Mar 20, 2018
Ask people in lobbies to help train. Generally speaking, most people still playing want more people to play and unless they get carried away they're willing to workshop stuff with you.
As it is, in training mode there is an option to slow game speed which I use to get the motions down right and then bring it back up to normal speed. Once you've got the motions themselves memorized, it's just a matter of doing them faster.
Also, if you haven't gone through the tutorial mode yet, it really does help.
I find that I have learned best when I find someone better than or roughly equal to me in skill and we just fight like 20 consecutive times. It works amazingly.
As does the tutorial. I first picked up this game back when there wasn't much of one at all, and going through it was quite lovely. Helped a bunch.
Also keeping in the mindset of "That's not really cheap, I could have done X thing to counter it, especially because it's the 17th time he's done that now" really helps.

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Yeah, learning people's array of BS and how to get around it is a constant learning experience. You seem to have the right idea of it, though, so you'll be fine, I'm sure.

Meti

Mar 20, 2018
Yeah, learning people's array of BS and how to get around it is a constant learning experience. You seem to have the right idea of it, though, so you'll be fine, I'm sure.
It's especially bad when I'm sitting there wondering and pondering just how oh how, I as a Tian, can possibly get in on this Arizona that really likes her ground smashes.
Took me half an hour.
I never claimed to be smart.

Meti

Mar 20, 2018
I might as well not make another thread, so I'll put it here.
What is the point of combos? A lot of the people I have fought just turtle and wait for an opening until they can use the quarter of your health bar true combo. And again. And again. And again. If Arizona and high level, then they just ignore the fact that the combo decay even exists and pin your ragdoll in the air against a wall for a solid twice the duration it took to fill and jump that to a third, and if Oleander, just back up dash while filling the air with magic to make approaching a pain. Hell, the most recent one I fought, when I actually was going to win one game, the game froze for a solid minute or so, and they just took the win.
What is the point of combos when there is very rarely any reason to change them up? There's just better and worse ones. Fighting an Ari player who can use the lasso just feels like being Wobbled, especially when one of her ground slams can just combo right into it, and she can combo into that from a previous combo done with the lasso.
This isn't me complaining about the characters, because I am quite sure there is something I can do to counteract it, but oftentimes it feels like I might as well just put my controller down while they do the combo and wait for my turn, because that's what it devolves into. It happens regardless of what I play.

FriskusPlays

May 14, 2017
Arizona is a terrible example of a wobble system in thems. honestly you can counter about 70% of her lassos just be moving in certain directions
however i do not say its not viable. the best way to "wobble" with Arizona is corner someone and slam them into the wall, back up and lasso them before they recover, after that you go into your combo and do whatever the hay you want. however it can be easily countered as stated, as an Arizona main myself whom now plays more of paprika than anything...a good block of the slam into the wall followed by a grab can get them back to the corner but with you on the side of the attacker. You need to know this is nothing like smash in any way shape or form. if anything this is SF combined with Blaz Blue and a bit of Injustice hero power shennanigans. it works its combos off of Games like central fiction and Skull girls.

Kastor

Mar 14, 2018
Yeah it can be pretty hard to learn ffgs. I recently found out that a lot of players don't know how/don't want to go easy on new players. Suffice to say I was quite disappointed.

Try to find a good teacher of you can. If you find yourself becoming unmotivated by that teachers advice/gameplay then they probably arn't the one.

Reactions: PinkieFTW