Is salt going to become permanent later on?

Someoneman

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Right now when you leave a lobby, you lose all your salt, which makes it hard to get new hats (that might be intentional to give players more pride and accomplishment). Is this a permanent feature or just a temporary thing until the pixel lobby can be finished?

TwistedKestrel

Feb 26, 2018
I don't think salt being made permanent makes much sense. If it were, the mines would barely ever reset, making it nearly impossible for anyone to start from scratch. Also it would be easier for players to just wait for the mines to level up for chances at rares without doing any of the 'work'.

It's not a super complicated system but it is a system. If anything, it would get replaced with a different system down the line instead of being made permanent. (100% speculation from someone who has not been paying attention)

Tribble

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I don't think salt being made permanent makes much sense. If it were, the mines would barely ever reset, making it nearly impossible for anyone to start from scratch. Also it would be easier for players to just wait for the mines to level up for chances at rares without doing any of the 'work'.
Yeah, I thought that, too. You amass salt pretty quickly once you are in the salt mines, and it makes sense at the time to keep up with the higher chest prices at higher level, and to get back in quickly if you died.

Though "Redesigning the salt mines" is on the roadmap, and from earlier dev streams/beta versions one might get the impression that there might be more pixel lobby maps at some point in the future, with their own little games.

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Does salt do anything? I haven't played around too much, but I use it to get into the salt mines and there I get more salt.

Is there a use for it now, or is it a future currency?

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
Does salt do anything? I haven't played around too much, but I use it to get into the salt mines and there I get more salt.

Is there a use for it now, or is it a future currency?
It's only used to get into the salt mines and to open chests in there. The chests give you cosmetics or food to help you last longer.
That's all it does right now. I'm not aware of any future plans for salt use, though.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
Oh I didn't know there were cosmetics in the Salt Mines. Guess I've been unlucky. I only ever get food.
I feel your pain. Chests with cosmetics will usually cost more than food, so you can tell them apart.

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I thought it was salty to rage quit. I didn't know there was such things in the game, although I've been trying to get good enough to beat the AI in Arcade mode before going into the multiplayer parts of the game. Is there an MMOish element to the game?

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
I thought it was salty to rage quit. I didn't know there was such things in the game, although I've been trying to get good enough to beat the AI in Arcade mode before going into the multiplayer parts of the game. Is there an MMOish element to the game?
Yeah, you gain a little salt every time you play a lobby match. When you have enough salt you can enter the salt mines "dungeon" where you can fight predators, which give you more salt. There are also free chests that contain salt. Your health carries over between battles, so you need to spend some salt to open chests that contain healing item, those are cheap. You can also find chests that cost like, 20 or 30 salts and those unlock uncommon or rare cosmetics.

Reactions: Nightshade

TwistedKestrel

Feb 26, 2018
A thing that I don't think some people realize is that you can get in the mines without any salt - when it resets down to the first level and shows 3 salt, once one person pays the cover charge then anyone can get in for free until any progress is made. It does mean you need to be camping the entrance though

Reactions: _L1pE_

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
A thing that I don't think some people realize is that you can get in the mines without any salt - when it resets down to the first level and shows 3 salt, once one person pays the cover charge then anyone can get in for free until any progress is made. It does mean you need to be camping the entrance though
Yeah, that and the fact that the price goes up depending on the level the inside reached took me a while to figure out. For a while I thought the price of the teleport was just random.