Introducing the Cast of Them's Fightin' Herds

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
After hearing the voices, I have nothing but positive things to say. The voices do a great job of differentiating the characters from you-know-what. They don't sound like what I'd expected, but they're perfect for the characters. The lines are great and the actors do an excellent job.

Arizona: Come on, it's Tara Strong. Unless this is a parallel universe, she's going to do a great job. It was hard for me to imagine her doing a country accent, but she pulls it off excellently.

Velvet: Instead of sounding just prissy, her voice/lines also have a vicious bite to them (pun intended). Great way to add dimension to the character. I imagine her book of lore chapter in a different way after this lol.

Pom: I have to admit, she sounds nothing like what I expected. I had imagined her sounding like... well, a wimp, but instead she sounds kind, yet ready to fight. Her voice actress struck a good balance, and the Scottish accent is great.

Tianhuo: She sounds much more mature than I was imagining, which is very appropriate since she is eldest and most mentally matured of the cast. Her respectful demeanor is also very fitting with the real-life culture that inspired the Longma's.

Oleander: I didn't know what to expect for Oleander, but the accent fits perfectly. As for Fred, he has the great blend of troll-y evil that I was hoping for.

Paprika: I don't think anyone was prepared for her to be a wordless character, but it's somehow so right. Huge props to the devs for making this call, and her actress for pulling it off. It can't be easy to give a character life with only trilling, grunts, and kissing noises.

Again, props to everyone involved.

Last edited:

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
Guys guys, I was thinking that Oleander's voice was too cheery for her animations (I expected it to be way deeper, for some reason), then it struck me as another layer of character depth, because she didn't do a pact with a demon for the power or anything like that, she did it because she trusted Fred and because she wanted to prove something. She's angry when she fights you not because she's corrupted/angsty/evil (as all dark magic users are portrayed) but because she genuinely believes on her cause and everyone shuns her for it, deep inside she's a good person. Seeing how she has been an outcast for 13 (or so I'd imagine, I'd have to play the story mode to see if it's true) years and yet she still chooses to fight for what she believes in speaks volumes about her.
I know that this is already written on the Book of Lore, not that everyone will read it ofc, but it's super cool because you can realize this without reading it first.
I just got a little more excited.

VendiMANS

Argentine fgs player
Feb 5, 2018
Buenos Aires
Guys guys, I was thinking that Oleander's voice was too cheery for her animations (I expected it to be way deeper, for some reason), then it struck me as another layer of character depth, because she didn't do a pact with a demon for the power or anything like that, she did it because she trusted Fred and because she wanted to prove something. She's angry when she fights you not because she's corrupted/angsty/evil (as all dark magic users are portrayed) but because she genuinely believes on her cause and everyone shuns her for it, deep inside she's a good person. Seeing how she has been an outcast for 13 (or so I'd imagine, I'd have to play the story mode to see if it's true) years and yet she still chooses to fight for what she believes in speaks volumes about her.
I know that this is already written on the Book of Lore, not that everyone will read it ofc, but it's super cool because you can realize this without reading it first.
when you put it that way it makes sense, but I still find her voice a bit too cheery, its good but different from what I was expecting so I can easily get used to it
Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You nailed it right on the head, really. Her voice may be unexpected when you look at her general concept, but it's far from unexpected if you just think about the actual character herself. She's not the typical dark magic user, so they lampshaded perhaps a few tropes you thought she was going to fall under. :olliegrin:

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I was honestly not expecting Mane6 to get talent like Tara Strong or Keith Ferguson. Those two voices alone have me hyped somethin' fierce! I'm curious to hear what everyone's voices sound like (even if I don't recognize the majority of them), but I'm most anticipating Arizona, Oleander, and Fred. Ari and Fred for obvious reasons, and Oleander because she is best ungulate.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
I definitely agree that her voice isn't as deep as I expected, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I kind of always viewed her as a self-righteous character in that way, though. I'm not sure why.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
A beta player just recently (as in maybe 30 minutes ago, lucky me for doing a timely search) uploaded a YouTube video where they check out all the current character palettes and then mess around in training mode, so you can hear all the current wonderful new voice clips of our little fuzzies. Check it out if you've got time to spare:

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
A beta player just recently (as in maybe 30 minutes ago, lucky me for doing a timely search) uploaded a YouTube video where they check out all the current character palettes and then mess around in training mode, so you can hear all the current wonderful new voice clips of our little fuzzies. Check it out if you've got time to spare:

Damn son, the music shift is so good that I didn't even notice it changed at first.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg

I recently did a stream of it as well. Did they cover eating in this one? I like Pom's the most, even though I thought Ari's was gonna be my fav cause of the animation. lol

BackwardCap

Internet Celebrity Extrordinaire
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I recently did a stream of it as well. Did they cover eating in this one? I like Pom's the most, even though I thought Ari's was gonna be my fav cause of the animation. lol
Nah, I didn't want to go through that much trouble. I also forgot to show Pom's bark charge move, but I'll be doing another one when the game is released to show off everything.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Nah, I didn't want to go through that much trouble. I also forgot to show Pom's bark charge move, but I'll be doing another one when the game is released to show off everything.
I didn't go through all the blocks and tech. Also, I apparently missed some taunts.

If you want to hear the eating, 26:02 of my vid for pap and the others start at 40:12

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
What voice actor do you have for the predators and the goat though? I'm kinda curious about that....as well as who you picked for the Devourer. The voices all sound pretty awesome all the way, though I notice in the beta video posted that the character model of Tianhuo seems to be reverting back to Arizona for some reason.

BackwardCap

Internet Celebrity Extrordinaire
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
What voice actor do you have for the predators and the goat though? I'm kinda curious about that....as well as who you picked for the Devourer. The voices all sound pretty awesome all the way, though I notice in the beta video posted that the character model of Tianhuo seems to be reverting back to Arizona for some reason.
All the animations aren't finished yet so Arizona is just used as a placeholder for those functions.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Nice to see VAs like Allie Moreno in here with the heavy hitters like Tara. Was Allie a non-union actor? It was mentioned in a stream that non-union actors can use this game to become part of the SAG-AFTRA.

Shame that Pom's not Kiwi. Is her accent supposed to be Welsh? Because that's supposedly the other place that likes sheep.

A Tree

The One You'd Like to Be
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 9, 2016
Nice to see VAs like Allie Moreno in here with the heavy hitters like Tara. Was Allie a non-union actor? It was mentioned in a stream that non-union actors can use this game to become part of the SAG-AFTRA.

Shame that Pom's not Kiwi. Is her accent supposed to be Welsh? Because that's supposedly the other place that likes sheep.
Scottish, I believe. A Gormotti accent is probably too obscure/difficult.

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
So I wasn't actually expecting this when I booted up TFH yesterday, and the voices just bowled me over. They're pretty incredible, overall. Each of them has their own flavor that's so much fun to hear coming out. I just wish they triggered a little bit more frequently. I'm a fan of busier voices during play. I blame Guilty Gear and BlazBlue.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So I wasn't actually expecting this when I booted up TFH yesterday, and the voices just bowled me over. They're pretty incredible, overall. Each of them has their own flavor that's so much fun to hear coming out. I just wish they triggered a little bit more frequently. I'm a fan of busier voices during play. I blame Guilty Gear and BlazBlue.
I think there -might- be a setting for that? But I didn't actually dig around. It's also possible they'll trigger more in the final game, and there could be more clips we haven't heard. The Announcer isn't patched into the beta yet, for example.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I think there -might- be a setting for that? But I didn't actually dig around. It's also possible they'll trigger more in the final game, and there could be more clips we haven't heard. The Announcer isn't patched into the beta yet, for example.
There definitely is a setting for that. Voice Cooldown. The number is the number of frames before a character is allowed another voice line since their last one.