Ideal DLC Character

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
Rivals for the current characters would be a cool concept.

For Arizona maybe a cousin of hers, who thinks she would have been a better choice. More of a southern belle type than a cowgirl with a precision oriented combat style, that emphasizes quick strikes and getting back into distance before the opponent can retaliate.

For Velvet a more melee oriented reindeer. The one she fought in her lore entry would be a good candidate. His motivation would be to beat her in order to show that he would be worthy of her and utilizing ice magic in melee, like coating his hooves in ice to fight.

Oleanders rival could be a Paladin or Cleric type from the Order of the Horn, trying to get the Unicornomicon away from her to free her from Freds dark influence. They would mean well and see Oleander more as a victim that needs rescuing, either being misguided or justified, depending on wether or not Fred is genuinely on Oleanders side.

For Tianhuo it could be one of her former bullying victims that would not forgive her. This character would utilize the fire breath more and has an impressive anti-air arsenal, which would be very useful against Tianhuo.

Pom is kinda difficult. The closest thing I could think of would be a self-exiled sheep who refuses the conformist ways of the other sheep. More of a punk, he or she enters the tournament to prove themselves as toughest of the sheep.

Finally Paprika could have a rival who ends up being the comically serious of the cast. To clash with Paprikas randomness, he'd be very straightforward, similar to Arizona.

TheWalrus

Feb 17, 2016
A character who uses traps with different kinds of effects. Damage traps, stunning traps, launcher traps, counter traps, movement impairing traps...

With the right setup, you could play pinball with the opponent. Something like that.

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
If we could get the option of non-hooved critters, I think a mimic octopus chain grappler/copycat character would be neat. Arranges itself into the silhouettes of characters whose moves it uses (via magic), and it builds magic with chain grapples.
It'd be a giant pain to animate, though.

Ravvij

Arizona, kick!
Mar 1, 2018
I love the idea of a Spider, but I suggest a False Widow. Furry, cute, skittish, and fast! Her personality should be outwardly-weird, but personally very sweet. Grabs are slowing for her opponents as well as staggers, because web, and all the legs are for lots of quick, light jabs. Weaknesses would be short jumps and weaker heavy attacks.

I suppose I'm looking for a character that fights like Jin Kazama from Tekken 6. Fast poker, heavy hits need to be set-up, and grapples are quick and simple. I loved playing as Jin in Tekken, so finding a similar character in fighting games is a struggle for me.

Last edited:

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
I think a donkey would make an excellent grappler, assuming the goat isn't already lined up to be the grappler (which would clearly be better).

I don't know if it makes sense with the mechanics of the game, since there's a lot of emphasis on speed, but I've historically enjoyed having some slower heavy hitters in fighting games. Something like a muskox would work well with the art style (with their fun long hair and the fact that horns are present on both sexes.) Plus, the Inuit name, Umingmak, is really cute sounding. More of a mother-like figure in the lore, perhaps?

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
I thought of something similar, in regards to a 'slow' heavy hitter, like a extremely limp yet flexible adult giraffe who fights in her sleep. Sharp, rapid kicks, a long neck that can whip into various shapes or coil around a foe, and a muscular body that can crush a lion just by sitting on it. Though she can't jump very high, she'll take a lot of hits due to her size and getting in a good shot of a Super would make her stumble about in a half-awake confusion.

Or one of my latest pieces, a Topi that is covered in bulky, heavy metallic armor, designed to contain the fierce fighting spirit within as to prevent others from getting hurt. With each hit, he becomes faster, more accurate with his strikes, able to rush-jab, and the power of his attacks increase over time until all that remains is his helmet, which upon shattering, his body can fully move at his true strength unhindered and glowing with a heroic aura of strength. I mean, in a way, Topi are perhaps one of the most regal yet powerful equines to roam the savanna without a care.

VendiMANS

Argentine fgs player
Feb 5, 2018
Buenos Aires
I think a donkey would make an excellent grappler, assuming the goat isn't already lined up to be the grappler (which would clearly be better).
I remember from the crowfund that goat's gimmick would be standing in any surface including walls
If she was lined up as that, how you guys think that would work as a grappler character?

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Also, it couldn't hurt to have another winged type, like a Tulpar. Now those are super fast, but can't fly properly like regular Pegasi.

Ravvij

Arizona, kick!
Mar 1, 2018
I'd very much like to see an Android, or Cyborg, like character! Great mid-range control, great recovery, whip punisher, and able to cover distances quickly. Weaknesses would be long-range and magic (ability to use magics), and to a lesser degree, short-range and air-control.

I'd love to see this character as a Dik-dik! (east african dwarf antelope) They're adorable and would make an interesting character!
The nose (with how a dik-dik uses it) could be the cooling system for the brain/processors, the oddly-placed tear ducts could be a "faulty" coolant leak that makes it look like she's crying a lot, and her surprising speed/dashes from her diminutive size.

11 Facts That Show Why Dik-Diks Are One of the World's Most Extraordinary And Adorable Animals

Last edited:

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
The last time dikdiks came up (in an older character ideas thread), @Tunnel_Rhino526 suggested having the tiny dikdik controlling a larger robotic creature.

EDIT: my apologies, he actually said that about a Mouse Deer, not a dikdik. Works either way though.
I see.

Would be, if I hadn't mentioned the Android thing. Besides, this is a cartoon fighting game. Since when was anything realistic in it?
Fair enough, but... is the tech level of Foenum really capable of mechanized combat? I'll admit I've not looked into it. Might be able to swing a clockwork puppet/cuckoo-clock kind of thing, but that would be a bear and a half to animate.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Or a steampunk-type cyborg, given the level of technology isn't exactly at modern stages for every equine race. In a way, it could be a very rich, yet nasty egomaniac of a dik-dik with a napoleon complex, who wants to look down on others with scorn in her eyes knowing she is the best candidate to wield the key for her kind.

I also worked on a sketch of a stag that is undead, since those could also be put in the slow yet formidable brawlers. Especially if it can use poison in it's attacks to slowly weaken a opponent over time (but unlike regular undead, it just eats what already died but can't kill others due to a curse it obtained).

Last edited:
Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
I wouldn't mind if that zebra in the story mode into became part of the DLC. She could be skilled in high speed attacks as well as utilizing specialized shields and spears to protect her from harm.

Reactions: <|:n0n4m3:|>

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
I dunno if this counts as necrobumping or not, but I thought I might share this idea regardless:

I think we all know an elephant'd be killer as a big body grappler, however we also know that they're anything but ungulates.
So what if...
...they were explicitly an outsider? Like, an alien to Foenum. I guess you could call it an aliephant, aha, aha.

Whether they are stranded or here on purpose, I don't know for sure, but seeing as elephants are known for their memory, I could easily picture this one being rather curious to their surroundings (doesn't even eat Paprika's gifts, just gets distracted analyzin' em, lol) so that they may bring the data back to whatever place they came from.

This way, we also get our character's "theme", as per how the roster's been more or less assembled so far (Shanty being the most explicit, since goats and the sea are not closely associated that much). I could see their name being chosen after astronomical terms, like, say, Cepheus, the constellation in which the Elephant's Trunk nebula is found.

Maybe we could have a grab extension gimmick, by sucking in foes with the trunk, kinda reminiscing of Iron Tager.

Or, I don't know, maybe we just get a rad boi with a yo-yo

As for other ideas that had crossed my mind, I thought of a long-reaching-normals giraffe, à la Dhalsim/Duo Lon (presumably, the limbs could also accordion themselves somewhat), but I had thought of accessorizing'em with those spirals Padaung women wear (it could even go boing like a spring upon neck extension, that'd be a fun thing), however, I've since learned that comparing them to giraffes is considered culturally insensitive, so, uh...yeah, no. I figure the neck could bend in all kinds of impossible ways (think Melman the giraffe from Madagascar) to fit on screen and provide more move designing opportunities.
Could be a male, since those fight more, but go tell that to Ari.

Finally, one I'm surprised to not see more, a tapir. Those have now been commonly depicted with having dream-based abilities through association with the Baku Youkai. This one isn't terribly specific, so you could make any manner of moveset from it, but the theme is pretty-much there and ready-made;
Helps that, out of all ungulates, safe for the aquatics, rhinos and whatever, tapirs are fairly unique looking. Pretty funny, actually.

Those are meant to be serious suggestions, but I'm happy to just express myself to begin with.

Last edited:

Ruzma

Silly-ninny doofus
May 19, 2021
I apologize for the double post, but I didn't want to edit the previous one, as it's already quite long.
That, and I feel this is equally as worth sharing, and I can't believe I forgot about it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have found our ungulate big-body grappler.
Meet
DONKEY
KONG

Chalicothere.jpg

He has no style, he has no grace
This guy's got a funny face

The chalicothere (here, it's more specifically an anisodon) used its Beeg Ol' Meanie Clawz to tear off branches, so it could eat.
They actually do not possess any descended species, having unfortunately gone extinct. Curiously enough, the ones that look more likes horses are closer to rhinos and tapirs, and vice-versa for those that look like rhinos.

But I don't think I need to elaborate why this just...works, for what we want.

In terms of presence in Fœnum, it's obviously an ancient species. Mayhaps one of its champions finds themselves time-displaced or was preparing for a great foretold danger, or perhaps they still live, just in secret, and one goes out into the world.
THIS is who my "Ideal DLC Character" is.

They're awesome critters, in fact, I may just draw one right now if I've got time.

EDIT for good measure: I have now drawn da boi, you can check go size him up in Fan Creations if ya feel like

Last edited: