How good are you at fighting games?

Are you good at the fighting genre?

• I'm competitive! I play in tournaments.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I'm great at them.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm good at them.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I'm okay.

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • I Suck.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • I've never/barely played a fighting game.

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters

Solvandus

Chin Piece
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I can learn and recite combos, remember them through a long, long period of inactivity, and even come up with some of my own (by Frankenstein'ing other combos together)

....Applying them in a PvP scenario (especially over the internet) is a whole nother story

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
I can learn and recite combos, remember them through a long, long period of inactivity, and even come up with some of my own (by Frankenstein'ing other combos together)

....Applying them in a PvP scenario (especially over the internet) is a whole nother story
If I could give you some advice, don't learn combos first.
As you seem to have experienced, it doesn't mean much if you can't actually use them.
Focus instead on your fundamentals. Footsies are an important part of any fighting game, even the faster paced ones like this one. Proper spacing on your moves is also important. And of course, learn what you can get away with using your character. Find out their strengths and shortcomings, think about how that affects a matchup, and observe how your opponent plays.
Combos can wait, and you're more than capable of winning without very long ones if your game sense is good.

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
All around not good...I cant do the half motion for ryu fireball to save my life so I generally play charge characters like guile due to not needing that motion but ya even with charge characters sometimes I release the charge too early and not get the sonic boom I wated. I'd probably main parkika due to being a charge character and not needing that quarter circle motion for most moves.

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
I just picked up Skullgirls, so I guess I can now obtain more information on exactly how badly I suck. :)

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I used to play Mortal Kombat 2 on the PC as a kid. Then later Virtua Fighter, Last Bronx, and Groove On Fight on Saturn. Then DOA 2 on Dreamcast. Even with a long history of playing fighting games I suck at them. Especially 2D fighting games.

Paper Shadow

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm in the middle of the range in terms of fighting game skill. I can beat the arcade or story mode, but I don't own a fight stick...

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
All around not good...I cant do the half motion for ryu fireball to save my life so I generally play charge characters like guile due to not needing that motion but ya even with charge characters sometimes I release the charge too early and not get the sonic boom I wated. I'd probably main parkika due to being a charge character and not needing that quarter circle motion for most moves.
I have the opposite problem. I have no trouble with fireball and dragon punch motions, but I can't wrap my head around charge moves. Which is a shame because I'm also looking forward to playing as Paprika.

Hunter

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I actually like that this will be a four-button fighter, and thus I bet I can pick it up pretty fast.

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
Do we know yet how "deep" TFH is going to be on a scale of Super Smash Brothers one-button mode to Skullgirls? I guess we know that four buttons is more than one and less than six.

I looked at the Skullgirls controls and combo lists briefly last night and to be honest, I find it a bit intimidating. There's a lot to know and you obviously have to know it FAST.

Saikyo Kid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Looking back now, I've kinda realized how long I've actually been trying to play fighting games. I had the original Mortal Kombat on the Genesis, I've played every Smash Brothers, TONS of Soul Caliber 2, played some Tekkens, Street Fighters, Virtua Fighters, some Shaq Fu, and have at least dabbled in every MvC game to date. Though lately, Skullgirls is probably the only one left to really hold any appeal in me.

And after all those years, I can confidently say I'm a really solid casual player. I definitely know the ins and outs of fighting games and can confidently hold my own against most, but I've just never really liked the idea of making it anything more than that. Guess I wouldn't see 'em as fun anymore if I took them too seriously.

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Yeah, I'm pretty awful at fighting games. The only one I'm actually solid at is Smash Bros., but as for traditional fighting games? Bad. I'm very bad.

Despite that, I'm hoping to hone my skills a bit in time for TFH so that I don't get completely wrecked by the computer (let alone other people).

Reactions: Queezeey

Thrackerzod

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 6, 2016
Kentucky, USA
I've never been great to be honest. I loved playing them growing up but I mostly just mashed buttons instead of actually learning the combos and things. I've only recently started playing them again; I picked up Skullgirls a while back and have been enjoying it.

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
Wow, lots of casuals in a fighting game, interesting
Yeah, it is. Fighting games, from what I've seen and read, tend to attract a lot of pretty hard-core players and also tend not to be very newbie-friendly. I expect that at this stage in the TFH development, most of the fanbase is here because of the pony connection rather than the fighting game connection. Maybe that will change over time as more publicity gets out.

Sigmath Bits

Mmmmm, delicious baked crowdfunds.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I literally only started my first fighting game just yesterday (Skullgirls) ^^;;
I thought it would make sense to actually try my best to improve – or at least, y'know, play a fighting game – before I actually play TFH.
So far it's been fun and I'm getting the hang on it, but with fighting games there is ALOT to learn/remember/improve, it sometimes feels very insurmountable ^~^;
So far I conclude I'm capable, however not skilled; so I'm okay ^^;; I thought I'd be absolute horse yankees at it, so personally I'm pleased with that xD

Masterweaver

Teller of Tales Bard Of Awesomeness
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Internet
www.fimfiction.net
...I'm just past button mashing.

I think the issue is that I can memorize combos but not impliment them fast enough for the computer to say "Yep, that's a combo."

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
Sigmath Bits, that's about where I am. I'm working through the tutorials, and it feels like I should be able to learn it. I'm just not sure I have the reflexes for it. I've been going through the lesson on doing mixups, and having trouble. Not only does Parasoul keep jumping when I don't want her to, I can't seem to react to having my low kick blocked or not fast enough to properly change up the third attack. I can clear the lesson, but basically by doing the same three moves over and over until they've randomly worked three times.

Back when I was dabbling with Soul Caliber II in the arcades, I always played as Sigfried (that was the name of the blonde guy with the armor and the huge sword, right?), partly because his slowness meant that I didn't need hyper reflexes.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm relatively good at Smash 4, worse at Melee. good at Skullgirls, ok at Street Fighter, bad at BlazBlue and GuiltyGear.

Sigmath Bits

Mmmmm, delicious baked crowdfunds.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Sigmath Bits, that's about where I am. I'm working through the tutorials, and it feels like I should be able to learn it. I'm just not sure I have the reflexes for it. I've been going through the lesson on doing mixups, and having trouble. Not only does Parasoul keep jumping when I don't want her to, I can't seem to react to having my low kick blocked or not fast enough to properly change up the third attack. I can clear the lesson, but basically by doing the same three moves over and over until they've randomly worked three times.

Back when I was dabbling with Soul Caliber II in the arcades, I always played as Sigfried (that was the name of the blonde guy with the armor and the huge sword, right?), partly because his slowness meant that I didn't need hyper reflexes.
Ah yes; yeah, I managed to finish the tutorials the day I got it (it took 8 hours though xD) and yeah, there is a lot of fast thinking and movement to get a grip on.
Personally, I feel capable, like I said: that is that I can do it, I just have to hone that. And honestly, I think that true for anyone willing to try and train hard enough. I'm certain, with practice, your reflexes can improve :) (and so for me)

As for the blocking and the mixups, are you using a keyboard or a controller? (I'm assuming controller?) Because if you use the joystick you may accidentally start jumping around (very slight "up" data from the controller can be sent through). You can just trudge through and just learn joystick (and definitely do that if it feels more comfortable and natural for you) and eventually you'll just learn how not to do that, and that's what I've done (it also make 360 moves easier to do, but I find it makes quarter circles harder...); however, I think d-pad is probably a better bet and I think I'm going to change to that because it gives you more accurate control (down is definitely down, no sort of maybe slightly to the left). Oh, unless you're using an Xbox controller, use joystick if that is the case. ^^;

If you're using keyboard ... uh, yeah, don't ^^; Unless you have to, but you're gonna have a bad time if you do. (Search: ghosting)

Bonus Pun:
Sigfried? I'll be a fried Sig when I start playing.

Silver Rain

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
I fall in the "good" range, meaning I have my moments of excellence, middle of the road, and total disaster all rapped up into one.

I was best at Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2, and that's quite some time ago unfortunately.

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
I travel a fair bit to tournaments and usually do pretty ok. My main game is Guilty Gear, but I plan to git gud at TFH when it eventually releases. Really at this point, my skill level can really just be summed up as "I just need to get stuck into a character and learn" and I'll be good.

Randael

The sheep
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 6, 2016
Germany, NRW
I can press buttons and usually things happen on the screen, sometimes it even looks pretty smooth...well... "sometimes" .
Im basically the guy that semi skillfully mashes the controller buttons while looking half decent doing it, sometimes... well..."sometimes". So yah, i guess in short im a pretty skilled button mash-er. well... "sometimes" atleast.

Crayv

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I would say I'm decent. I have played them in the past but that was so long ago I am likely to be very rusty.

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
I finally cleared the air combo lesson in the Skullgirls tutorial last night. I've also been having reasonable success versus the Easy level AI using Filia, just by using a super basic combo of LP, LK, MK, HK.

Edit: That is, by never getting any combos much beyond that. I'm also trying to use blocking and hit confirmation, with some small measure of success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich Jammer

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
Somewhere.
I'm actually pretty decent at fighters, back when I used to play Skullgirls regularly before my controller broke, my Ms. Fortune was really good! I also used to have a squiggly in that game but I'm super rusty. Right now the only game I play at tournament level is smash. Looking into pokken as well when that comes out next month. Both are drastically different than tfh but whatever.

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
Never been too good or really into fighting games, but I found TFH characters interesting ^^

I did play some SFII turbo and Mortal Kombat on SNES and was decent but with newer games and vs online players i am just terrible.

Talguy21

Once a purveyor of sub-par horse words.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
How good am I at fighting games? Not. I am so not.

How good am I at FiM? Not the worst ever.

That said, this was just too cool to not fund. ;)

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
I can't even remember a single combo, they're way too long and complicated for me. Half my play time in fighting games is sitting in the pause menu.

CrushingVictory

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
i picked up the basics of a combo, but cannot do 256-hit bouncing all-over-the-screen-frame-perfect-zero-to-death combos