How good are you at fighting games?

Are you good at the fighting genre?

• I'm competitive! I play in tournaments.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I'm great at them.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I'm good at them.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I'm okay.

Votes: 43 37.7%
  • I Suck.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • I've never/barely played a fighting game.

Votes: 11 9.6%

• Total voters

Super Zat

The Quack Up
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Me personally, I suck at them. The best i ever did was in SC2, (gamecube as link) and was just barely getting though the campain. unable to be the last boss. Most times playing the fighting genre I die almost instantly.

The reasons I funded this game was more for the story and characters and less the genre. I was however hoping this game may be easier and could finally "Get Gud".

Are guys good at games in the fighting genre? Anything different about TFH from others in the genre?

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I've played a good variety of fighters, but I tend to stick with whatever single-player Story and Arcade modes they have for the most part. Whenever I do play against humans, it ends up being friends who play the games less than I do, so I only ever git gud at beating medium level AI opponents.

Then SFIV came out, and I could barely beat it on very easy. <_<

Naughta_Noob

"I mustn't betray spoon"
Backers' Beta Tester
I'm going to say that I'm good, but I can't really tell you for sure because I live out in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have many around me to tell me that I suck nor is my internet decent enough for me to play online. I'd say in your case that you might be in luck here. From what I can tell of this game, it's probably going to be the best game to help you get into 2D combo based fighters.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
I personnally suck at fighting games, only occassionnal winning through button mash spamming, the only exception has been Super Smash Bros (and I've only ever played the N64 one) because the controls are so simple, directions, one attack button, one special button, one take/drop item button and one shield button if you want to be fancy. TFH is going to have three attack buttons and one special button, that's like, two button too much for me, I couldn't make a combo to save my life, even in training mode with the instructions in front of me.

Mirage Seraph

Goat On A Thread
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
After around 240 hours in Skullgirls I can happily say...!
I'm pretty nobs at them.

Skullgirls I'm not half bad at but when I tried picking up Blazblue OH MY GOD I am absolutely clueless when it comes to some fighting games starting off. After around 15 hours of Blazblue I did start getting things down but I retained nothing. Granted, this is only in Blazblue. Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter I can more or less pick up and play.

Not What We Expected

Fire Alpaca
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Manhattan, KS
For the most part I don't play fighting games, however I have played Skullgirls. I can 100% honestly say it doesn't look like I'm going anywhere with it!

I don't want to be too easy of a fight when it comes to multiplayer in TFH, but for the moment I'm pretty trash.

Epsilon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I consider myself being at pretty high level when it comes to GGXX: Reload. Aside from that - relatively good, I think. Planning on re-training myself for an arcade stick, so I can play at arcades.

Patthecat

Oleander player~
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Southern California
I love fighting games, I've attended EVO a couple times to compete and some local tourneys.

When Fighting is Magic first got announced I was SUPER excited being a major fan of both Lawyer Friendly Equines and Fighting games. Broke my heart when the C&D hit.... but TFH rose from the ashes and my fire has been rekindled!

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I'm pretty good. I went to a local tourney two years in a row and won it both times. BlazBlue is my main game, and I pretty much solely play Iron Tager. I'm into a whole ton of other fighting games too, such as Street Fighter, Skullgirls, Mortal Kombat, and now trying to learn Guilty Gear.

Karilyn

Buttonmashing Scrub
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I am sorta all over the map, though mostly on the bad side. I personally feel it's because I'm rhythm death. Whether it's a rhythm game, or combos in a fighting game, or anything else, trying to maintain a consistent rhythm even on simple stuff just escapes me. Apparently my zoning is pretty :bark::bark::bark::bark:ing good, but I can't follow any attacks up, so clearly I just need to stick to Divekick :p

Melty Blood has always been one of my favorite games, and FIMg/TFH play kinda similar, which is fun.

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
I'm not.
Basically the entirety of my fighting game experience comes from Skullgirls and Smash Bros. Never played online much in either, but when I did, I found myself doing better in Smash by comparison. Not that I was all too excellent there either.
Since Smash is wildly non-traditional, those skills will not transfer over to any other fighting game unless they also happen to be platform fighters.
I'm hoping things can be different for this game by way of being one of the people who plays it early in it's life and devoting some time to it, unlike other fighting games that I've played. It's why I got any semblance of skill in Smash, having played since the N64 days, so the idea is that I'll be able to start fresh with everyone else here and work my way towards becoming of a respectable skill level.

Wyrmshield

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm pretty awful, but like the original poster, I'm in it for the great characters and simple controls. I thought I was hot stuff being good at Smash fighting hardest difficulty enemies, until I played against an actual person.

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
I'm pretty awful, but like the original poster, I'm in it for the great characters and simple controls. I thought I was hot stuff being good at Smash fighting hardest difficulty enemies, until I played against an actual person.
That's an issue with pretty much any fighting game. Going up against an AI won't teach you anything about the game beyond what your character's buttons do. The only way to really learn things like footsies, spacing, prediction, and mindgames is to go up against human opponents. This especially becomes true when you realize that AI opponents will typically fall into a pattern, or can do things humans can't like read your inputs within 1 frame of you pushing a button. Their behavior then becomes exploitable and you can use very similar tactics every time and meet with relative success frequently.

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
Welcome to the Salty Spitoon, how tough are ya.

After 2,5 years of playing Skullgirls online I like to consider myself a higher intermediate in the game.
Outside Skullgirls - decent. Some general fighting game know-how is universal enough once you get a hang of it in one game.
Looking forward to check how much of that transfers to TFH when the game arrives.

Moon Drops

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
I consider myself at about a moderate, or above average player. My fundamentals are fairly good, but I'm just now working on option selects and advanced footsies. I've won small tournaments in Skullgirls and Blazblue. Recently, I've been going into the genre harder than ever. Once SFV comes out I expect to be doing a lot of that.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
I would say I'm ok.

I just play for fun and I'm not a competitive player and it depends on the game and how good the the controls work for the most part. ^^

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
I'd like to say I'm pretty okay - at least - my Yoshi in Sm4sh has a positive win/loss ratio?

I don't usually like playing against strangers 'cause I get easily stressed out, so I have no real gauge on whether I'm okay, good, great, or not.

Shelterfox

Goat Cult Founder (Head Goat)
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
New York
Not anywhere near competitive ability, but I have fun playing smash and brawlhalla if they count. I recently got Skull Girls on sale so I'm hopefully gonna learn how to play that.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
It depends on the type of fighting game but the 2D 1-on-1 sorts I always thought I'd never get better than being mediocre. That might be finally changing with my purchase of Skullgirls, but it's too early to tell. It is my goal though to get good before TFH is done.

I'm pretty good at Smash I think, though a lot of my friends seem just slightly better. I also apparently am better than I thought at Soul Calibur. Recently I was over at a friend's house watching them play against another, in 3 I think. They had done something like ten fights and the friend of a friend was winning every time. So I took over for the friend when they wanted a break and figured I was gonna lose badly having not touched a Soul Calibur game in years and I only remembered one combo, the attack where Talim rushes through her opponent. But with Talim, Kilik, and Mitsurugi I was somehow winning most of the fights.

TheOneZeelOne

Don't be afraid of the dark
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
I did play Melee a ton and I do kinda consider Smash a fighter in it's own way but it certainly doesn't count as experience towards games like this. I might as well be a total rookie with 2D fighters. I actually just got Skullgirls a few days ago entirely to practice myself up for TFH though, hopefully I'll be good at 'em by the time it comes out.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Never really played fighting games, but I have gamed since I was like 5 and am in general a skilled player, mid Diamond in LoL, but that was when I played all the time. I currently don't game at all, but plan to start practicing Skullgirls to get good for this thing.

Sans

white★bone dunker
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
I'm pretty trash at these kind of games, but once in a while I find a character with a kit I like, and then I just screw around and crush my pals with em'
Like, surprisingly, Beowulf, and if im feeling good, squiggly

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
I beat Soul Caliber and Super Smash Brothers on the Wii . . . so I selected "I suck". I hope there's going to be a TFH league for us filthy casuals.

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
I think that I'm a all rounder when it comes to fighting games, ranging from Mortal Kombat, skullgirls, and a few others, like super smash bros

didyousaythat

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Competitively I am my best when I play Smash. I can hold my own pretty well. I am kinda decent at Skullgirls, but would probably get murdered in competitive play. Everything else I can't do so well.